Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Passing on The Shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Was reading an article about Deb Reys town hall and found that bill was passed that will allow drivers to pass on the shoulder when there is a vehicle stopped and making a left turn. Its supposed take effect on October 1st.
    Good
    If I had a nickel for every gender, I'd have two nickels.

Quote Originally Posted by Restitution View Post
    Does it matter? It's not like it is being policed or anything...
    You are absolutely right. I don't think that ant law can be enforced in todays world. There aren't enough police on the roads to do anything, and they are being held back because they can't chase over a certain speed and on 235 most drivers are going 70 in a 55 mph zone and you don't see anyone doing anything about that. Screw the silly laws , just have someone out there enforcing the laws that stop people from killing each other. I don't care if the speeders kill themselves , but leave me and mine alone.
    There are two types of politician,dishonest and dead,I prefer the later.

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Was reading an article about Deb Rey’s town hall and found that bill was passed that will allow drivers to pass on the shoulder when there is a vehicle stopped and making a left turn. It’s supposed take effect on October 1st.
    How is that different than this?

21-304. When passing on right is permitted.

(a) In general.- Subject to the requirements of subsection (b) of this section, the driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only:
    (1) If the overtaken vehicle is making or about to make a left turn;
    (2) On a highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles and wide enough for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the same direction as the overtaking vehicle; or
    (3) On any one-way roadway, if the roadway is free from obstruction and wide enough for two or more lines of moving vehicles.
    (b) Safe conditions required.- The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle to the right only if it is safe to do so.
    (c) Driving off roadway.- Except for an operator of a bicycle or motor scooter, a person may not make the movement described under subsection (b) of this section by driving off the roadway
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

4. 04-20-2017, 08:38 PM

5. 04-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Restitution View Post
    Well, at the very least they are breaking the law if they continue through that lane by the new Urgent Care. That lane is marked Right Turn ONLY at that intersection. If they continue straight then technically they broke the law with a moving violation.
    The lane is marked (posted signs) all the way down both sides of 235 right turn only
    They are making a right turn, we just don't know where. The right lane from Walmart to Chancellors Run Road is an expressway for people who go south, they just rip around the corner out of Walmart and do 55 to CRR. Excuse me, 45, they don't speed.
    Your signature can not be longer than 100 characters - BS

Blog Entries
    I never knew that was against the law.

Or are they making laws now allowing things that were never illegal?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

8. 04-21-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    "C" is what gets you. Roadway is defined a white line to white line. Beyond the white line is "off the roadway"

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I never knew that was against the law.

Or are they making laws now allowing things that were never illegal?
    I t is illegal. Always has been. You can't cross a solid white line. There are some places (some on Rt 5 one on Willows rd) where the solid white line curves over the shoulder thus allowing one to pass a left turning vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by getbent View Post
    Can you get a ticket if you are making a right turn, there's no turn lane just a shoulder and you use the shoulder as a turn lane? Make sense?
    Simple answer is yes. If there's a solid white line, you cannot cross it.
    Last edited by awpitt; 04-21-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    (c) Driving off roadway.- Except for an operator of a bicycle or motor scooter, a person may not make the movement described under subsection (b) of this section by driving off the roadway
    I got a ticket for passing a car on 925 years ago. They were turning left, I went onto more than wide enough, paved shoulder and passed them at a safe speed. Sheriff deputy that I knew was behind me lit me up immediately. I took it to court. Once you cross the white line, you are now "driving off roadway".

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    "C" is what gets you. Roadway is defined a white line to white line. Beyond the white line is "off the roadway"
    Doesn't answer the question on how it's different though. It sounds like she's trying to pass a duplicate law that's still going to have the very same flaw.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Members who have read this thread: 114