Passing on The Shoulder

awpitt

Main Streeter
Was reading an article about Deb Rey’s town hall and found that bill was passed that will allow drivers to pass on the shoulder when there is a vehicle stopped and making a left turn. It’s supposed take effect on October 1st.

calvcopf

I don't mind if people pass me on the shoulder while I am waiting to turn left. But please SLOW the HELL DOWN when doing so. Thank you.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I don't mind if people pass me on the shoulder while I am waiting to turn left. But please SLOW the HELL DOWN when doing so. Thank you.
Look at it like this, if somebody zips by you on the shoulder while you're waiting your turn TO turn.....left, and he runs off said shoulder and winds up in a ditch etc cuz he was driving too fast., you get a good laugh out of it.
If the same person passes on the right and takes the paint or a mirror off the right side of your ride; driving by fast or not, you get body work and/or a new paint job. :shrug:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Can you get a ticket if you are making a right turn, there's no turn lane just a shoulder and you use the shoulder as a turn lane? Make sense?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Look at it like this, if somebody zips by you on the shoulder while you're waiting your turn TO turn.....left, and he runs off said shoulder and winds up in a ditch etc cuz he was driving too fast., you get a good laugh out of it.
If the same person passes on the right and takes the paint or a mirror off the right side of your ride; driving by fast or not, you get body work and/or a new paint job. :shrug:

How about the jackwagons that wander onto the right shoulder to make their left turns. I'm guessing the overtaking driver would be at fault even though Lane Hog has managed to NOT stay in his lane.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Can you get a ticket if you are making a right turn, there's no turn lane just a shoulder and you use the shoulder as a turn lane? Make sense?
That makes sense. Actually, around there anymore it's self preservation; gettin' outta the way of all the speeders. "As long as you do it safely" is what you might hear.

BernieP

Resident PIA
How about the jackwagons that wander onto the right shoulder to make their left turns. I'm guessing the overtaking driver would be at fault even though Lane Hog has managed to NOT stay in his lane.

I don't think it's by accident that they pull right. I've seen people at the Rt 4 entrance to WW straddle the line to block people from making a right, I've seen it at other traffic lights as well.

I do agree it's a waste of fuel to have people backed up behind someone waiting to make a left, but you have to be concerned for the people that use the shoulder to walk and bike ride

BernieP

Resident PIA
Does it matter? It's not like it is being policed or anything... :whistle:

I don't know how anyone can mistake that lane for other than what it's marked as, no where do you see a MERGE LEFT arrow or sign.
What you do see is RIGHT LANE for RIGHT TURNS only and right turn arrows painted all down the lane.

But it's used for everything but right turns and the state and county Mounties don't do squat about it.
Drivers are starting to get into the turn lane as far back as Town Creek Drive since there are no physical barriers between there and Rt 4.

calvcopf

I got pulled over in Owings a couple of years ago for passing on the shoulder. He "let me go" with a warning, even though I see marked patrol cars doing it all the time.

Restitution

Drivers are starting to get into the turn lane as far back as Town Creek Drive since there are no physical barriers between there and Rt 4.

Well, at the very least they are breaking the law if they continue through that lane by the new Urgent Care. That lane is marked Right Turn ONLY at that intersection. If they continue straight then technically they broke the law with a moving violation.