Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Passing on The Shoulder

The bill has only passed the House as of now, HB 1456. Rey didn't propose it, Parrot did.

Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    ... will allow drivers to pass on the shoulder when there is a vehicle stopped and making a left turn.

I thought this was already legal .... sans the shoulder part - Passing on the Right was always legal as long as someone is stopped for a left turn
    Were tempted to suggest a conspiracy here but its just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply cant conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    I thought this was already legal .... sans the shoulder part - Passing on the Right was always legal as long as someone is stopped for a left turn
    As I've always understood it only if there is another travel lane to the right. As stated above, anything outside the solid white lines is "off the roadway".
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Actually, no it is not. You cannot pass on the right using the shoulder. Unless there is a painted white line that deviates on to the shoulder indicating a passing area.

My MIL got pulled over for doing it but got off with a warning. At the time I tried to find a statute that made it illegal and couldn't find one. I suspect it exists as the MGA wants to do away with it.

MD state law is explicit about the definition of "roadway". Anything outside normal travel lanes is (currently) illegal to use for passing. That is what will be changing, it seems.

From section 11-151:
    (a) In general. -- "Roadway" means that part of a highway that is improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, other than the shoulder.
    From definitions section 21-101:
    (v) Shoulder.- "Shoulder" means that portion of a highway contiguous with the roadway for the accommodation of stopped vehicles, for emergency use, for use by bicycles and motor scooters, and for the lateral support of the base and surface courses of the roadway.
    Regarding passing, from 21-304:
    (b) Safe conditions required.- The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle to the right only if it is safe to do so.

(c) Driving off roadway.- Except for an operator of a bicycle or motor scooter, a person may not make the movement described under subsection (b) of this section by driving off the roadway.
    Translated: "off the roadway" = "on the shoulder".

A couple years ago the State Highway Administration met with our neighborhood (Bay Ridge, on Rt 5 just south of Great Mills Rd) about the cars running the shoulder coming north from Hermanville, which has caused several accidents at our entrance. The head SHA official said the reason that cars are not (generally) permitted to pass on the shoulder is that the shoulder is not built the same - it has thinner asphalt and base materials. Therefore routine use is discouraged by the law, to protect the shoulder pavement from excessive wear.

That's not something they can fix with a law allowing passing on the shoulder - so apparently the legislators are giving in to reality, at the likely cost of increased roadway repairs.

I stopped passing on the shoulder after the girl was killed on Rt5 in Chingville a few years back.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by Ken King View Post
    The bill has only passed the House as of now, HB 1456. Rey didn't propose it, Parrot did.
    Actually, no one said Rey proposed it. She just reported on it's passage at her town hall. Additionally, it passed the House of Delegates 138-1 and has passed the Senate 45-1. Takes effect October 1, 2017.

Thks. I didn't look at the definitions. 'Roadway' in my mind included a paved shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I never knew that was against the law.

Or are they making laws now allowing things that were never illegal?

I knew it was against the law.

Because right here in this very forum* I made a complete jackass out of myself arguing that it was not against the law.
    Then I did research and saw that I was wrong.

And I had to degrade and demean myself by apologizing in front of God and everyone like I was some kind of filthy clueless peasant.

*Or one of the forums. I think it was here.
    --
    Well, it's been in your mouth for like, three hours. It feels like it's full of water.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.