Nobody Works in One in Five U.S. Families

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Nobody Works in One in Five U.S. Families
Parents with children in home more likely to work

No family member was employed in 16,069,000 U.S. families in 2016, or 19.6 percent of families, according to newly released data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The number of families with nobody employed increased by roughly 19,000 from 2015 to 2016, although the percentage slightly declined from 19.7 percent to 19.6 percent.

For the purpose of the study, the bureau counts a family as households headed by a married couple or by unmarried women or men. The definition includes households with children under 18 years old and households without children. There were 82,092,000 families in the United States in 2016, according to the bureau.

The number of families with no workers has remained relatively steady since 1995, when the bureau began compiling the data.

In 1995, 18.8 percent of families had no one working. The percentage peaked at 20.2 percent in 2011. Since then, it has been on a steady decline, from 20 percent in 2012 and 2013, to 19.9 percent in 2014, and 19.7 percent in 2015.

SoMDGirl42

and that trend will continue as long as we have them sucking off the tit of welfare. Why would they work, they get free housing, free food, free electric, free health care, free education. They live better than I do, and I work full time.

If they'd use welfare the way it was intended, as a helping hand, and not a hand out then these lazy bums might have to get a job. As it is, it's easy money for them. They've been raised on welfare, and know how to bleed it for every single penny. But they can get their nails and hair done, buy rims for their cars, put in new sound systems and have big screen TVs to watch while they're sitting back getting high. So sick of watching people swipe their "independence" card to buy steak, while I'm buying hamburger.

If you are able bodied, you should have to work X amount of work to receive benefits. And they should be drug tested periodically. And if you pop out another kid while on welfare, your benefits shouldn't be increased. You get free healthcare, you have access to free birth control.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
[ No family member was employed in 16,069,000 U.S. families in 2016, or 19.6 percent of families, according to newly released data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. .

Wonder if this included non official workers in the Under the Counter pharmaceutical trade?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
and that trend will continue as long as we have them sucking off the tit of welfare. Why would they work, they get free housing, free food, free electric, free health care, free education. They live better than I do, and I work full time. .

So, are you stupid to not join them or do they actually NOT live better than you?

I keep asking this question and none of you pure capitalists wanna answer it; take those 10 million households. What happens to wages when they go work or starve? What happens to all the people who get paid to provide the 'free' housing, 'free; food, utilities, health and education?

Here. I'll spell it out. Wages, already historically low, COLLAPSE. Then, given the 'choice' to PAY for housing, food, electric, education, health care with ever more meager wages, clearly, food and shelter come first and then everyone else, teachers, docs, etc, can go join the unemployment line and work or starve and depress wages even more.

Your own situation sucks, not making nearly enough, and you want wages to be a lot LOWER?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Years ago the Washington Post did a story on a woman living in the district. She was on welfare, working under the table as a cocktail waitress while dealing coke out of her bra while at work. But when the article came out she was 53 years old and barely making it. Some people it seems are destined to be without.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I bet few of those people are living in rural areas. Unless you include people that have already retired from a lifetime of work.

tommyjo

I know this is beyond the comprehension of all on here...but for anyone who may actually have the mental capacity to think beyond their political persuasion...

This is the base document referred to in GURPS propaganda: https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/famee.pdf

Go look over it yourself. Does it say anywhere in the document the reasons for a "household" not have an employed person in it? Again, I know most on here can't think...they can only be told what to think...but here are reasons why a household would have no one employed:

1. Retirement...

2. College.

It's amazing how many times this gets pointed out and the lot of you still can't understand.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

and that trend will continue as long as we have them sucking off the tit of welfare. Why would they work, they get free housing, free food, free electric, free health care, free education. They live better than I do, and I work full time. If they'd use welfare the way it was intended, as a helping hand, and not a hand out then these lazy bums might have to get a job. As it is, it's easy money for them. They've been raised on welfare, and know how to bleed it for every single penny. But they can get their nails and hair done, buy rims for their cars, put in new sound systems and have big screen TVs to watch while they're sitting back getting high. So sick of watching people swipe their "independence" card to buy steak, while I'm buying hamburger. If you are able bodied, you should have to work X amount of work to receive benefits. And they should be drug tested periodically. And if you pop out another kid while on welfare, your benefits shouldn't be increased. You get free healthcare, you have access to free birth control.

Allow my to assist you in your ignorance. The trend will continue as long as there is a fiat currency used in this country. We really do live in the Matrix. And you have yet to take the red pill. Our monetary system, the Federal Reserve System, (Owned and operated by a group of private central bankers and not part of the Federal Government), is designed as such that there will always be those that can't make it, even those able bodied. While money is created out of thin air by the loan creation process, the interest necessary to pay back loans is not. [NOTE: All fiat money in existence is the product of a loan taken out somewhere, by someone, or some entity at sometime.] The process of paying off loans reduces the amount of money, (currency), in circulation. When the amount of money in circulation is not maintained, or in today's case, allowed to be contracted by restricting new loans (ie, new money created), there is misery all around. Unemployment increases, the welfare rolls increase, homelessness increases. Even when everything is running optimally in the banking sector, the ratios of loan repayment to loan creation to attempt to manipulate and keep the monetary supply even, an impossibility, there is still misery. Basically, I'd say, 90-95% of the problems with people being on welfare, of all types, is not their fault, but the fault of the banking and financial sector and a complicit government. Welfare programs were created to placate. Programs created by government to hide the true cause of many of societal ills, private central banks ... The Federal Reserve System. Programs to give just enough support and hope to people so that they would never question, or believe, the real reason why they are in the position they are in.

Just so you don't feel so bad, there is a fiat currency system used in pretty much every country in the world. Misery all over the world.

Have you ever driven around the area here and seen those hand painted signs that say, "End the Fed!" The above is a small explanation of the reason why. It is an evil and insidious system that drains the economic vitality and wealth of the working people, the industrious people, the inventors and innovators, and transfers all that wealth to a very small group of private bankers for their own benefit and enjoyment who do not work. They are stealing from us everyday. Our own government is allowing them to steal from us everyday. And you, in essence, are blaming your neighbor for being lazy when it is our own government and bankers you should be blaming.