The end of diesel car engines?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
seems dumb ... diesels are huge in Europe

Yep..and Scandinavia too. Many models of cars and SUVs that are diesel powered and never available in the US.

This observation was interesting...because I would guess the same holds true for the Big 3 in the US...

The Japanese manufacturers in general will prosper; they kept working on gasoline engines while the Europeans were obsessed with small diesels and as a result they have a wider range of up-to-date options to put in their cars.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Yep..and Scandinavia too. Many models of cars and SUVs that are diesel powered and never available in the US.

I am skeptical ... are the 'health risks' real or part of the Chicken Little Global Warming Scare

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Ah, yes, so, let's unpack this, as they say.

VW, a LEADING diesel maker, up and coming, growing in market share, fudges some emission rules that are probably meaningless in terms of helping the planet, what was supposed to be v. the cheating.

They get found out and are fined BIG time. Just nailed to the cross.

Now, the fall out is a sort of death sentence.

So, setting aside the impact of 30mpg gas v. 50 mpg diesel, does this not sound like, just maybe, an agent or two inside VW either uncovered the cheating OR oversaw it, precisely TO get caught and lead things down the path of the End of Diesel?

And why would we want that? Of course, assuming it is all that evil compared to gas that requires 40% more fuel for the same work. Why, diesel is, what? Pretty simply stuff to make, right? Well, we can't have that, can we? We need more complex, more jobs created, not less. Just like the incandescent bulb v. fluorescent.

Cheap, perfect, simple loses out to less perfect, more expensive and able to charge more for it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So, setting aside the impact of 30mpg gas v. 50 mpg diesel, does this not sound like, just maybe, an agent or two inside VW either uncovered the cheating OR oversaw it, precisely TO get caught and lead things down the path of the End of Diesel?

nope ...... it was NOT insider information that exposed this .... but a College doing a study

itsbob

I bowl overhand
nope ...... it was NOT insider information that exposed this .... but a College doing a study

But it was also discovered VW wasn't the only one.. others either got caught or went back and fixed their "cover-up" before they were caught.

What happens when our EPA and our government make rules too stringent to be met.. you are left with nothing but to cheat.

Question is why was VW singled out.. and nailed to the cross and not anyone else??

My understanding now is with the addition of the UREA tank a diesel engine is cleaner than any gas engine yet still 20 - 30% more efficient... WHY would you not want them??

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ah, yes, so, let's unpack this, as they say.

VW, a LEADING diesel maker, up and coming, growing in market share, fudges some emission rules that are probably meaningless in terms of helping the planet, what was supposed to be v. the cheating.

They get found out and are fined BIG time. Just nailed to the cross.

Now, the fall out is a sort of death sentence.

And why would we want that? Of course, assuming it is all that evil compared to gas that requires 40% more fuel for the same work. Why, diesel is, what? Pretty simply stuff to make, right? Well, we can't have that, can we? We need more complex, more jobs created, not less. Just like the incandescent bulb v. fluorescent.

Cheap, perfect, simple loses out to less perfect, more expensive and able to charge more for it.

Me, I've got an entire "fleet" of vehicles powered by old dirty diesel engines. You should see the cloud of massive smoke produced when you fire up an old Peugeot 4-banger on a cold morning....LOL

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Me, I've got an entire "fleet" of vehicles powered by old dirty diesel engines. You should see the cloud of massive smoke produced when you fire up an old Peugeot 4-banger on a cold morning....LOL

Which brings up another point. How many jobs are there in a diesel engine lasting over 300-400,000 miles vs. a gas shot at maybe 200K? Tune ups, parts, etc.

Jobs I say, jobs.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I don't believe Europe has adopted the UREA diesel.. and what was evident in Dublin was the black oily stained buildings that generally could have been beautiful, but were forever stained with the exhaust of old dirty diesels..

stgislander

PREMO Member
Because of the reasons I stated or some version of them; there is something inherent in diesel that makes gas, on the macro level, from a politicians eyes, that is more attractive.

That is until eDiesel is mandated thereby throwing another bone to the corn farmers.