Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The end of diesel car engines?

Blog Entries

The end of diesel car engines?

Another misguided climate scare initiative gone awry...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...assenger-cars/
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

seems dumb ... diesels are huge in Europe
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    seems dumb ... diesels are huge in Europe
    Yep..and Scandinavia too. Many models of cars and SUVs that are diesel powered and never available in the US.

This observation was interesting...because I would guess the same holds true for the Big 3 in the US...

The Japanese manufacturers in general will prosper; they kept working on gasoline engines while the Europeans were obsessed with small diesels and as a result they have a wider range of up-to-date options to put in their cars.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 04-21-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Yep..and Scandinavia too. Many models of cars and SUVs that are diesel powered and never available in the US.

I am skeptical ... are the 'health risks' real or part of the Chicken Little Global Warming Scare
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

Ah, yes, so, let's unpack this, as they say.

VW, a LEADING diesel maker, up and coming, growing in market share, fudges some emission rules that are probably meaningless in terms of helping the planet, what was supposed to be v. the cheating.

They get found out and are fined BIG time. Just nailed to the cross.

Now, the fall out is a sort of death sentence.

So, setting aside the impact of 30mpg gas v. 50 mpg diesel, does this not sound like, just maybe, an agent or two inside VW either uncovered the cheating OR oversaw it, precisely TO get caught and lead things down the path of the End of Diesel?

And why would we want that? Of course, assuming it is all that evil compared to gas that requires 40% more fuel for the same work. Why, diesel is, what? Pretty simply stuff to make, right? Well, we can't have that, can we? We need more complex, more jobs created, not less. Just like the incandescent bulb v. fluorescent.

Cheap, perfect, simple loses out to less perfect, more expensive and able to charge more for it.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post

So, setting aside the impact of 30mpg gas v. 50 mpg diesel, does this not sound like, just maybe, an agent or two inside VW either uncovered the cheating OR oversaw it, precisely TO get caught and lead things down the path of the End of Diesel?

nope ...... it was NOT insider information that exposed this .... but a College doing a study
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

I almost stopped reading when I got to this.

The number of additional deaths across the Continent linked to the increased diesel pollution of the past 15 years could turn out to rival the Battle of the Somme in sheer murderous impact.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    nope ...... it was NOT insider information that exposed this .... but a College doing a study
    But it was also discovered VW wasn't the only one.. others either got caught or went back and fixed their "cover-up" before they were caught.

What happens when our EPA and our government make rules too stringent to be met.. you are left with nothing but to cheat.

Question is why was VW singled out.. and nailed to the cross and not anyone else??

My understanding now is with the addition of the UREA tank a diesel engine is cleaner than any gas engine yet still 20 - 30% more efficient... WHY would you not want them??
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    I almost stopped reading when I got to this.
    Wonder how that was arrived at...

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    ... WHY would you not want them??
    Because of the reasons I stated or some version of them; there is something inherent in diesel that makes gas, on the macro level, from a politicians eyes, that is more attractive.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Members who have read this thread: 36