Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Legal" Pot Taxing CO Law Enforcement

"Legal" Pot Taxing CO Law Enforcement

CNN Highlights Marijuana Legalization 'Straining' Police in Colorado

The CNN host found that, instead of undermining the black market for marijuana as promised, illegal growers have been taking advantage of legalization to illegally export pot to other states -- "straining" the state's law enforcement.

Cabrera recalled some of the illegal marijuana seized by police:

Illegal cannabis cultivations busted by law enforcement in Colorado. These are images from inside alleged criminal enterprises hiding in plain site under the guise of the state's legal pot laws which regulate who, where and how much pot people can grow.

She was then seen riding with Arapahoe County Sheriff David Walcher as he explained the problems legalization has caused his department:

CABRERA: Do you find people are coming here with the intent to create a marijuana or pot trafficking ring?

DAVID WALCHER, ARAPAHOE COUNTY SHERIFF: There's no doubt in my mind.

CABRERA: Arapahoe County Sheriff David Walcher says it's a growing concern. Just last year, his narcotics team alone seized more than $3 million worth of illegal pot products.

WALCHER: It's everywhere, and it can be in any neighborhood, any neighborhood. We see them everywhere.

The conversation soon continued: (Link, including video)
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    CNN Highlights Marijuana Legalization 'Straining' Police in Colorado

The CNN host found that, instead of undermining the black market for marijuana as promised, illegal growers have been taking advantage of legalization to illegally export pot to other states -- "straining" the state's law enforcement.

Cabrera recalled some of the illegal marijuana seized by police:

Illegal cannabis cultivations busted by law enforcement in Colorado. These are images from inside alleged criminal enterprises hiding in plain site under the guise of the state's legal pot laws which regulate who, where and how much pot people can grow.

She was then seen riding with Arapahoe County Sheriff David Walcher as he explained the problems legalization has caused his department:

CABRERA: Do you find people are coming here with the intent to create a marijuana or pot trafficking ring?

DAVID WALCHER, ARAPAHOE COUNTY SHERIFF: There's no doubt in my mind.

CABRERA: Arapahoe County Sheriff David Walcher says it's a growing concern. Just last year, his narcotics team alone seized more than $3 million worth of illegal pot products.

WALCHER: It's everywhere, and it can be in any neighborhood, any neighborhood. We see them everywhere.

The conversation soon continued: (Link, including video)
    I don't think I have a problem with this, but then again I don't think it should have ever been illegal.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    I don't think I have a problem with this, but then again I don't think it should have ever been illegal.
    Yup. If it's legal, say, beer or making oxy, it's new jobs and growth. If it's weed, it's a trafficking ring.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    Yup. If it's legal, say, beer or making oxy, it's new jobs and growth. If it's weed, it's a trafficking ring.
    According to the federal government it is not legal. That does not seem to be an area of dispute (whether is should be or not is in huge dispute, but whether it is illegal or not is only in dispute to the Obama Administration, which is no longer in authority).

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but when I read:
    Quote Originally Posted by US Constitution, Article VI
    This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof...shall be the supreme law of the land, and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, any thing in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.
    it doesn't seem very difficult to comprehend that it is illegal in CO, too. The sooner Sessions acts on this, the better.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Considering the state of Colorado made so much money from taxing it that they had to write a check to each resident, it seems they can afford extra law enforcement.

It's too bad we have an AG willing to promote a failed drug war and potentially get in the way of states that have legalized it.

I imagine one day we'll look back at this and compare it to the prohibition era.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

According to the federal government it is not legal. That does not seem to be an area of dispute (whether is should be or not is in huge dispute, but whether it is illegal or not is only in dispute to the Obama Administration, which is no longer in authority).

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but when I read:it doesn't seem very difficult to comprehend that it is illegal in CO, too. The sooner Sessions acts on this, the better.
    And now we have the right wing espousing federal supremacy over states rights. Will the wonders never end?
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Considering the state of Colorado made so much money from taxing it that they had to write a check to each resident, it seems they can afford extra law enforcement.

It's too bad we have an AG willing to promote a failed drug war and potentially get in the way of states that have legalized it.

I imagine one day we'll look back at this and compare it to the prohibition era.
    I have no argument with the potential we'll consider it similar to the Prohibition Era. It's certainly possible.

But, it's pretty clear the states don't have the authority to legalize it. They can take the authority, via 3/4 of them agreeing to a change to the constitution, but as of today they do not have the authority to pick and choose what federal laws they like or don't. Since the 17th amendment was passed, they gave up their republican role in the federal government (contrary to Article IV, Section 4 of the Constitution). So, the discussion of whether it is legal or not is moot.

Meanwhile, the job of the AG is represent the United States in terms of law and law enforcement. I would rather he do his job than not.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

And now we have the right wing espousing federal supremacy over states rights. Will the wonders never end?
    Absolutely not, Larry. As I said, whether or not it SHOULD be law is in great dispute. Because the 17th amendment took the states out of the equation in terms of representation in the federal lawmaking, they voluntarily gave up their right to argue state vs. federal in laws - it's clear as day in the constitution which laws take precedence. The whole POINT of the senators coming from the states and not the people was for the states to be represented in making federal law.

States have the rights to everything not given the federal government in the constitution. By enacting the 17th, and the states not repealing the 17th, everything the federal government does in law is superior to the state law.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

I'm just as much law and order as I am 10th amendment.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Absolutely not, Larry. As I said, whether or not it SHOULD be law is in great dispute. Because the 17th amendment took the states out of the equation in terms of representation in the federal lawmaking, they voluntarily gave up their right to argue state vs. federal in laws - it's clear as day in the constitution which laws take precedence. The whole POINT of the senators coming from the states and not the people was for the states to be represented in making federal law.

States have the rights to everything not given the federal government in the constitution. By enacting the 17th, and the states not repealing the 17th, everything the federal government does in law is superior to the state law.
    If the right still supports states rights it should be cheering the states re-asserting themselves. However, that all started to turn with the first gay marriage states. Then, the right started becoming federalists.

So, we have an opportunity for those who want education to leave DC, transportation and anything else the right USED to complain was better left to the states. Couple the issues, piggy back those on the weed.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Members who have read this thread: 56