Satellite dish removal

Tori39

We're getting Verizon Fios very soon and will need the satellite dish removed from the roof of our two story house. Are there any companies that remove dishes in Charles or Prince George counties?

DEEKAYPEE8569

We're getting Verizon Fios very soon and will need the satellite dish removed from the roof of our two story house. Are there any companies that remove dishes in Charles or Prince George counties?
Question: The satellite company won't uninstall the dish since you terminated service from them?

Tori39

No.....they say it's ours and our responsibility to remove it. They don't do un-installs. DirectvTV installed it.

DEEKAYPEE8569

No.....they say it's ours and our responsibility to remove it. They don't do un-installs. DirectvTV installed it.
You might have to just call a handyman; unless you have a friend you could ask. If you wanted to go the simple route, just disconnect any connections (wires, etc.) from the dish itself, dismount the dish and be done with it. The more involved way being, removing the wire from outside your house, disconnecting it from your line into the house, then removing it.

My understanding of the way satellite is hooked up is, it is tapped into your existing coaxial cables and connected to receivers inside the house. GURPS, GW, correct me if I'm wrong.
(Yeah, I'm probably wrong).

officeguy

I would keep the dish for the time being. 6 months from now when you are embroiled in arbitration/litigation with Verizon about their ####ups, you can at least go back to satellite.

Toxick

Splat
Why? What happened? We had fios for 12 years at our previous house and loved it.

#### service for way too much money.

As soon as my termination fee was less than the remainder of my contract I was out of there. Horrible.

Toxick

Splat
I'm not going to argue with your experience. If you had a great time with them before, good on you.

Me, I had slow internet speeds. Not to endorse Comcast (who also sucks for other reasons IMO), but Comcast internet speeds blew the freaking doors off FIOS.
I don't like the illogical TV packages (where you have to buy a full bucket of crap just to get one channel that you wanted).

One of the things that irritated the ever-loving-piss out of me was that they kept sending flyers to my house that if I 'SIGN UP NOW' that I could pay almost 1/3 of what I was actually paying - then when I called and asked for the special price, they told me that it's for "new customers only". When I pointed out that it sounds like they care a lot more about getting new customers than taking care of existing loyal customers they actually wanted to debate me about that over the phone. Who aggressively argues with their customers over something like that? Especially when I'm holding proof in my freaking hands.

There are myriad reasons I couldn't stand them. I didn't take notes and it's been long enough that I've moved on - but I was completely unsatisfied with pretty much everything they said, and everything they did.

Phone service was OK I guess.

officeguy

What exactly was so bad? We loved it when we had it at our other house.

Never worked right. Internet kept going down. Several 'authorized contractors' sent out who couldn"t fix it. Then Verizon tech came out, fixed it within an hour. Right until it failed again. Again, several contractors who wasted my time. Verizon refused to send their own as the system showed 'ok' on their end. Then finally they did, and it worked for another day. When called again, they would sent another contrator.....
Yet they refused to discount a single month.
#### Verizon. Haven't knowingly given them a penny since.

red_explorer

Be careful.

I was warned not to remove my dish, as the holes into the roof would compromise its integrity, when I had my dish replaced. Hence, I have two dishes on my roof.
Stay away from Fios down here. Pretty useless... At least in St Mary's.

PeoplesElbow

I was warned not to remove my dish, as the holes into the roof would compromise its integrity, when I had my dish replaced. Hence, I have two dishes on my roof.

It is easy to disconnect the dish and leave the bracket on the roof, it will only stick up two inches and there will be no holes. It is two bolts to disconnect the pole from the bracket that is screwed in the roof.

Goldenhawk

It is easy to disconnect the dish and leave the bracket on the roof, it will only stick up two inches and there will be no holes. It is two bolts to disconnect the pole from the bracket that is screwed in the roof.
Yep - this is the right answer. Don't mess with the screws that go into the roofing material but it's simple to remove everything else.

Goldenhawk

That's good advice but my problem is finding someone to go up there and do it.
Look for a handyman's business card at your local hardware store. They ought to charge you less than $50 for a half-hour's work. Just be specific about what you want them to do.

BernieP

Resident PIA

My vote would be to leave it alone, and I hate you for getting FiOS.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Where do you get FiOS in St. Mary's? Verizon says us hicks aren't even on the schedule.
Got a mailer from Comcast about Business high speed internet. That proved to be BS as well.
"What's your zip code?"
I tell them and then it's, oh, we don't offer that service there. Then WTF did you mail me a card (to my pondock zipcode) that said you were offering said service you bleeping morons.