Tree Question

Hank

my war
My backyard sits on the edge of woods. The land can't be built on, but is obviously owned. There is a dead tree about ten feet from my boundary line that is most definitely going to fall. If it falls my way, it will hit the house. If it falls one other way, my neighbor's garage is in danger. Am I able to hold the property owners liable for said tree and take preventative measures to have it removed by them before it eventually falls?

You might check with your insurance agent.

My neighbor has a very similar situation and has yet to resolve it.

keekee

You might check with your insurance agent.

My neighbor has a very similar situation and has yet to resolve it.

I had a similar situation a few years ago.
I spoke to the neighbor, got permission, and then I paid to have the tree dropped.
I'd be very surprised if you could force the neighbor to pay for it.
If it's threatening any power lines, then SMECO might drop it for you (?)

black dog

Free America
Write a certified letter to the property owner explaining the problem tree and they need to address it before it becomes a problem with your property or the neighbors.
Without proof that a letter and the tree falls and does damage on yours or other properties it will just be a " act of God " and your insurance and you pay for your property damage.

Hank

my war
Write a certified letter to the property owner explaining the problem tree and they need to address it before it becomes a problem with your property or the neighbors.
Without proof that a letter and the tree falls and does damage on yours or other properties it will just be a " act of God " and your insurance and you pay for your property damage.

Yeah, I just talked to a friend that had a similar situation and this is what he said..... :yay:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah, I just talked to a friend that had a similar situation and this is what he said..... :yay:

Yep. Neighbor's tree fell across the property line and right on my daughter's car and crushed it flat. Received nary a nickle for the damages.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
My backyard sits on the edge of woods. The land can't be built on, but is obviously owned. There is a dead tree about ten feet from my boundary line that is most definitely going to fall. If it falls my way, it will hit the house. If it falls one other way, my neighbor's garage is in danger. Am I able to hold the property owners liable for said tree and take preventative measures to have it removed by them before it eventually falls?
Just knock it over....grow some balls...

baxter

MAryland LAW- IF you can prove (certified letter) that you have informed your neighbor of this tree, and it falls and strikes your property, it is on your neighbor to cover damages. Otherwise, if it hits your property its your issue. If ANY piece of the tree is over the property line, you can remove said piece. Hire someone to remove the tree, there have been numerous tree deaths in the very recent future

DEEKAYPEE8569

MAryland LAW- IF you can prove (certified letter) that you have informed your neighbor of this tree, and it falls and strikes your property, it is on your neighbor to cover damages. Otherwise, if it hits your property its your issue. If ANY piece of the tree is over the property line, you can remove said piece. Hire someone to remove the tree, there have been numerous tree deaths in the very recent future
Years ago, one of the 13 or so pine trees in my yard was between my and my neighbors' house; sizable branches hanging over their house; the whole bit. We talked about that very issue and verbally agreed amongst ourselves, if anything fell from that tree and struck their house, damaging anything, they would handle it; meaning they wouldn't come after me to get their house fixed. "That's why we; meaning the two of them; pay for homeowners' insurance. Fortunately for me, nothing ever happened.

slappy

there have been numerous tree deaths in the very recent future
untitled.png

Hah! Once upon a time, Miss Cleo mis-published their Psychic Hot Line advertisement using my small business 800 number instead of theirs (a simple two-digit transposition). That was a very interesting month.

"I predict.... you've dialed the wrong number!"