Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comedian Bill Nye gets schooled..

Blog Entries

Comedian Bill Nye gets schooled..

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

I used to like this guy. Now, not so much.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Blog Entries
    Bill Nye has always been on the payroll. They set him up with a kid's show for exactly the purpose of indoctrination; for the same reason they install leftwing "professors" and "teachers" in schools. Nye has zero qualifications to be blathering about science in any regard, and yet there he is.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Bill Nye has always been on the payroll. They set him up with a kid's show for exactly the purpose of indoctrination; for the same reason they install leftwing "professors" and "teachers" in schools. Nye has zero qualifications to be blathering about science in any regard, and yet there he is.
    Frankly, Tyson isn't much better either. He's slick..but he's also a fraud.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Tyson isn't slick. Every interview I have ever seen of him (and it's a high number) he has two or three factoids that he memorized and has to get out to seem smart. If he gets them out in the first 3 minutes, then you get 5 more of him being a blithering idiot. Slick is being able to turn the conversation to your strengths, not hoping the interviewer to stay on script or risk looking like an idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Tyson isn't slick. Every interview I have ever seen of him (and it's a high number) he has two or three factoids that he memorized and has to get out to seem smart. If he gets them out in the first 3 minutes, then you get 5 more of him being a blithering idiot. Slick is being able to turn the conversation to your strengths, not hoping the interviewer to stay on script or risk looking like an idiot.
    "Slippery" is probably the more apt description I was going for.

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Didn't see any "schooling", just different opinions and then a temper tantrum.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    Didn't see any "schooling", just different opinions and then a temper tantrum.
    I think the "schooling" part comes from the demonstration that Nye thinks science is a matter of voting - more scientists he knows believe one thing, so it must be true - as compared to Happer using the scientific method.
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    How so?
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    How so?
    Well I wouldn't go so far as to call him a fraud, I would just say he is propped up a bit more than should be the case given his credentials. He is charismatic, has a good speaking voice, and I think he makes a good host for science programming (or whatever programming). But I don't think his opinions on XX scientific topic of the day is worth any more than anyone else's, and I don't think his opinion about politics should matter more either.

It's like expecting Bill Shatner to be an expert on the ISS or the Mars Rovers because he played captain Kirk.

Members who have read this thread: 57