Science Proves Dogs Hate Mean People

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.thebrofessional.net/science-proves-dogs-hate-mean-people/

Dogs are remarkably intelligent. We all know this on some level. Science is also discovering that they are highly attuned to our emotions. In fact, many researchers believe that dogs are more highly attuned to human feelings and social cues than any other non-human animal on the planet. We’ve bred them to be our companions for thousands of years, and it worked.

In the new study, dogs were set up to watch their owners pretend to be unable to open a container. A person would enter the picture and appear to help the owner open it. A third person would approach the owner and do nothing to intervene.

After the container scene, the two non-owners would approach the dog to offer it a treat. The dogs showed a huge preference for the “helper” actors. They would accept treats from the people who didn’t help their owners, but only reluctantly and only when there wasn’t an option.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Dogs are rather perceptive creatures. They seem to have the ability to 'get a vibe' from people; they can tell how someone is. I have an example.....A friend of mine has a dog from a puppy mill; scared of his own shadow, this dog; but he will growl at you while backing away with his head down. Recently, he has screwed up the courage to get closer to me. The other night while visiting aforementioned friend, I was sitting on the couch and making eye contact with the dog, while speaking to him with a gentle tone. He timidly inched closer and closer to me. I held out my hand, palm up; he sniffs and put his head down as if to say, "Okay, you can scratch my head." So, I did; and there he stayed til I left.

I'ma take that with a grain of salt. I'm thinking it's less the perception of helping, and more the dog's realization that one person was 'friend' and the other not so much. I know from past experience if I'm chummy with someone the dog doesn't know and intro them right away as friend, the dog responds favorably. If I don't act friendly to someone and don't intro the dog, the dog responds negatively. Protection of the master,, etc....

Toxick

Splat
I’m suspicious of people who don’t like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn’t like a person. – Bill Murray

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Haha... they don't know my dog (Golden Retriever). She'd accept treats from either person with NO hesitation.

Well yeah, but..... Say, is there anything like an "IQ test" for dogs?...:whistle:

Your dog auditioned for this role though, right?

[video=youtube;ArNz8U7tgU4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArNz8U7tgU4[/video]

Last edited: