Meme Says A Black Woman Wrote Shakespeare

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
This Idiotic Meme Says A Black Woman Wrote Shakespeare. It Has 20,000 Retweets.

The reason we didn’t learn that fact in school, Ms. Johnson, is because the claim is simply horse manure. As snopes.com wrote in debunking the ridiculous claim, Aemilia Bassano (later Emilia Lanier) was a published author; the Shakespearean Authorship Trust points out that Bassano became the “first woman to publish a book of original poetry” when her work Salve Deus Rex Judaeorum was put into print in 1611, and guess what else?

She was Jewish, from Morocco.

Snopes continues: “No contemporaneous accounts describe Bassano as 'black' (or 'African') … A 2009 paper published in the Oxfordian, the journal of Shakespearean authorship studies, stated that some of Bassano’s relatives were referred to as 'black' when they arrived in London, likely due to their dark complexions."

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
It a couple of hundred years history wil be re-written so much that white-European Christian males will have contributed nothing to the world or society.
Women, blacks, gays will be responsible for all that is good and we will be responsible for all that is bad....JMHO

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Is this a left-handed, progressive way of restating the adage that a thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriters will write all of Shakespeare's works in a thousand years?

littlelady

God bless the USA
If I may ...

Yup, by copying it most likely. Monkey see, monkey do.

I can't believe they are trying to change history on Shakespeare. It doesn't make sense. I know that Blake is in the mix, but a black woman. Really? The Dems trying to change history was a joke, but now this is serious.

glhs837

Power with Control
Best direct comment?

It was actually Chelsea Clinton. She wrote them at 4 years old during preschool nap time as a protest against the infantile A-B-C coloring sheets they kept handing her. Not just FACT, but SUPERfact.

And best unrelated comment, after the obligatory "But you ELECTED TRUMP!!!!!" scream?

As someone said: "the media takes Trump literally but not seriously, while his supporters take him seriously but not literally".

You should give that a try, he makes a lot of sense that way.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It a couple of hundred years history wil be re-written so much that white-European Christian males will have contributed nothing to the world or society.
Women, blacks, gays will be responsible for all that is good and we will be responsible for all that is bad....JMHO

Well, this all has to be put into context of how 'history' teaching has long been.

Consider;

I was taught Columbus discovered America in 1492. That's not true.
I was taught 'we' fought for our freedom from a king. As in 'all of us'. That's not true.
I was taught our Civil war was to free the slaves. That's not true.
What I was taught about our involvement in WWI barely scratches the surface.
I was taught Pearl Harbor was a surprise. That's not true.
I was taught we fought WWII to make the world safe for Democracy.
I shudder to think what kids are taught about the 'surprise' attack of 9/11

I don't recall much people expressed in terms of what 'we' did to native American's. Or what they did to each other.

I was never taught about black slave traders in Africa or black slave owners in the US.

I was never taught about Muslims enslavement of white Europeans along the Barbary coast well into the 1800's.

I was taught Hiroshima and Nagasaki were about defeating Japan.

History is a living, breathing thing and is used to form varying narratives, versions and view points to support varying contentions; all historically true to varying degrees, none complete or THE truth.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was taught 'we' fought for our freedom from a king. As in 'all of us'. That's not true.

We are often taught in shorthand because the long version makes kids' eyes glaze over. Then, if you're interested, you can study it in more depth and know the whole story, including history and aftermath. We are not lied to, not really, we just aren't taught beyond our attention span. All the above you say "not true" about - they ARE true, just not the whole truth.

Anyway, a few dumb people who want to believe Shakespeare was a black women do not a history revision make. That there were 20,000 retweets - so? People come up with stupid crap and other people retweet it for a variety of reasons, not necessarily because they believe it. I'm not sure why this is worth discussing.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We are often taught in shorthand because the long version makes kids' eyes glaze over. Then, if you're interested, you can study it in more depth and know the whole story, including history and aftermath. We are not lied to, not really, we just aren't taught beyond our attention span. All the above you say "not true" about - they ARE true, just not the whole truth.

Anyway, a few dumb people who want to believe Shakespeare was a black women do not a history revision make. That there were 20,000 retweets - so? People come up with stupid crap and other people retweet it for a variety of reasons, not necessarily because they believe it. I'm not sure why this is worth discussing.

Allow me to clarify; it is 100% a lie, not true, at odds with the facts, that the Civil War began to free the slaves. That is no small distinction. If we grew up in a world of adults who, readily, knew this fact, that would be one thing; "oh, we gave you the short hand version because it was good enough as everyone grows out of the Easter Bunny bit sooner or later as they age. You got candy, right?' We suffer, as a nation to this day because of the fundamental lie were taught about the Civil War. This thread is proof; people fight for THEIR version of history because what we tend to teach ourselves is all too often fundamentally flawed or simply not true or flat out lies.

Hijinx

Well, this all has to be put into context of how 'history' teaching has long been.

Consider;

I don't recall much people expressed in terms of what 'we' did to native American's. Or what they did to each other.

I was never taught about black slave traders in Africa or black slave owners in the US.

I was never taught about Muslims enslavement of white Europeans along the Barbary coast well into the 1800's.

History is a living, breathing thing and is used to form varying narratives, versions and view points to support varying contentions; all historically true to varying degrees, none complete or THE truth.

Well we have a good idea what they are being taught in colleges like Berzerkely.
Yes: and it is shudder worthy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Allow me to clarify; it is 100% a lie, not true, at odds with the facts, that the Civil War began to free the slaves.

In my school they taught us that the Civil War freed the slaves, and that the war began over state's rights (mainly, to own slaves). Is that not what they taught you in your school?

Wishbone

In my school they taught us that the Civil War freed the slaves, and that the war began over state's rights (mainly, to own slaves). Is that not what they taught you in your school?

It was all about Cotton Futures Manipulation by Neo-Conservative Capitalists.

Hijinx

Who cares about Shakespeare, most of us only read it in school because it was required, and unless you studied it pretty hard the best of it went over their heads.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Who cares about Shakespeare, most of us only read it in school because it was required, and unless you studied it pretty hard the best of it went over their heads.

I do not care about Shakespeare. I find him overrated and am not sure why he is considered a master. I'm guessing because that's what English teachers have been taught for so many years, and that's what they teach their students, and none of them thought to question it. For the same reason we are led to believe that James Dean is a legend...just because.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm guessing because that's what English teachers have been taught for so many years, and that's what they teach their students, and none of them thought to question it.

I am sure this is changing .... after all he is an OLD Dead White Guy

black dog

Free America

Consider;

Reason #17 not to homeschool your children. :lmao: