Hematologist/ Oncologist recommendations

jenileigh

I am looking for recommendations for a hematologist/ oncologist in the tricounty area. Dealing with newly diagnosed chronic leukemia so this is for life. Thank you!!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I am looking for recommendations for a hematologist/ oncologist in the tricounty area. Dealing with newly diagnosed chronic leukemia so this is for life. Thank you!!

Doesn't look like there are any good ones around here. But if it is your life that depends on finding an oncologist, do not look to Southern Maryland for one. Look elsewhere. Start your search with the American Cancer Society. I would think the best are associated with larger, and much more better funded hospitals in large metropolitan areas. Good luck.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I am (thus far) a pancreatic cancer survivor. 2 June will make 2 years since I had the Whipple procedure at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore.

I was referred to Dr Minal Shah at the Cancer Recovery Center in the Wildewood shopping center by the surgeon who removed the tumor and other associated bits. The practice is part of the Medstar-Shah group. I find her manner to be professional and caring. She has listened to my concerns, monitored my progress and decided to cut the last 2 treatments off the end of the chemo regime as I responded so well (mid-July - mid-December 2015).

I'm satisfied with the care I have received from her and the nursing staff. Was there today for follow up blood work, CT scan next week and a visit with Dr Shah for review the week after that.

She is a Hematologist - Oncologist.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I am (thus far) a pancreatic cancer survivor. 2 June will make 2 years since I had the Whipple procedure at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore.

I was referred to Dr Minal Shah at the Cancer Recovery Center in the Wildewood shopping center by the surgeon who removed the tumor and other associated bits. The practice is part of the Medstar-Shah group. I find her manner to be professional and caring. She has listened to my concerns, monitored my progress and decided to cut the last 2 treatments off the end of the chemo regime as I responded so well (mid-July - mid-December 2015).

I'm satisfied with the care I have received from her and the nursing staff. Was there today for follow up blood work, CT scan next week and a visit with Dr Shah for review the week after that.

She is a Hematologist - Oncologist.

:huggy:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Another thing to remember (and I would recommend) is that you can consult with an onco up the road and the local ones can follow their protocol. That way you get the advantage of up to date clinical care AND the convenience of doing appointments down here. Im not sure what county you are in, but my father has such an arrangement with his oncologist. He got his treatment plan tweaked by a Georgetown Doc (dr. Marshall, the best oncologist in the entire WORLD; Im his biggest fan) but was carried out at a local office. It worked out really well to have that kind of collabrorative care.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Another thing to remember (and I would recommend) is that you can consult with an onco up the road and the local ones can follow their protocol. That way you get the advantage of up to date clinical care AND the convenience of doing appointments down here. Im not sure what county you are in, but my father has such an arrangement with his oncologist. He got his treatment plan tweaked by a Georgetown Doc (dr. Marshall, the best oncologist in the entire WORLD; Im his biggest fan) but was carried out at a local office. It worked out really well to have that kind of collabrorative care.

Very good advice.

My oncologist is able to consult with Dr U Shah in the group, he's also a professor at Georgetown medical school.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Ok then. What's the update? You say it's life and death, but give us no update when others are trying to assist you with information as you requested?

littlelady

God bless the USA
If I may ...

Ok then. What's the update? You say it's life and death, but give us no update when others are trying to assist you with information as you requested?

Bump. Jen may be overwhelmed with the diagnosis. I know I would be. And good grief, LR, give her some time. Seriously? I like your posts, but this one, not so much. Have you been diagnosed with Leukemia? Not that I have read. If I may, that was a dumb reply. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Bump. Jen may be overwhelmed with the diagnosis. I know I would be. And good grief, LR, give her some time. Seriously? I like your posts, but this one, not so much. Have you been diagnosed with Leukemia? Not that I have read. If I may, that was a dumb reply. Just sayin'.

Well, you know, this is a place where no quarter is given. There are allowances, for certain events/happenings/postings from time to time. This being one. However, an appropriate time has passed, I believe, for a reply. My questioning post was not harsh, no intent, just matter of fact.

littlelady

God bless the USA
If I may ...

Well, you know, this is a place where no quarter is given. There are allowances, for certain events/happenings/postings from time to time. This being one. However, an appropriate time has passed, I believe, for a reply. My questioning post was not harsh, no intent, just matter of fact.

Nah, if I may, you are wrong on this one. This thread is about someone's life. Not just stupid banter that happens on this forum everyday. And, though of topic, I found out today that a good friend of mine's son died of an overdose after being clean for two years. So, I am sad, and pissed. That's all. Oh, and Anthony was 28.

SoMDGirl42

If I may
Nah, if I may, you are wrong on this one. This thread is about someone's life. Not just stupid banter that happens on this forum everyday. And, though of topic, I found out today that a good friend of mine's son died of an overdose after being clean for two years. So, I am sad, and pissed. That's all. Oh, and Anthony was 28.

If he died of an overdose he wasn't "clean for two years". Chances are he's been lying about it for awhile and it caught up with him. That's a shame. 28 and life is over.

Drugs aren't worth it.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

You know, I can be quite the unrepentant, vulgar, crude, gross, smutty, phonographic, rude, nasty, repulsive, SOB here, and possibly may even be obscene, filthy and tasteless in some of my postings putting others in their, I think, rightful place. If you notice, I was the first to offer some assistance. My reply to your first post taking me to task was even polite and pithy. And yet, here you are giving me more grief for politely asking for an update reply from the OP. And now, you have somehow turned this whole thing into being about you being sad and pissed; and some good friend of yours, with no name, who had a son -- now dead; and some guy named Anthony who happened to be 28 years of age, a relatively young fellow that had his whole future ahead of him, being missed by friends and family who are probably wondering if they could have done more to help him, that offed himself by his own hand because he lacked self control. I am really trying to be nice to you "Grandma of one" for you really haven't given me any real cause to let loose on you, so far yet. But you are getting close.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
If I may ...

You know, I can be quite the unrepentant, vulgar, crude, gross, smutty, phonographic, rude, nasty, repulsive, SOB here, and possibly may even be obscene, filthy and tasteless in some of my postings putting others in their, I think, rightful place. If you notice, I was the first to offer some assistance. My reply to your first post taking me to task was even polite and pithy. And yet, here you are giving me more grief for politely asking for an update reply from the OP. And now, you have somehow turned this whole thing into being about you being sad and pissed; and some good friend of yours, with no name, who had a son -- now dead; and some guy named Anthony who happened to be 28 years of age, a relatively young fellow that had his whole future ahead of him, being missed by friends and family who are probably wondering if they could have done more to help him, that offed himself by his own hand because he lacked self control. I am really trying to be nice to you "Grandma of one" for you really haven't given me any real cause to let loose on you, so far yet. But you are getting close.

That is her MO. Ignore and proceed as usual.

littlelady

God bless the USA
If I may ...

If I may...you are grotesque. And, I thought I liked you. I want to kick the Pollyanna in me in the ass. So, I will. And, go ahead, let loose on me. Bring it! What is your problem? We all have them. No one is immune; so to speak.

Sorry, jen, that your thread was hijacked. I am part of it. I will use this post as a 'bump'. I hope all works out for you. Thoughts, best wishes, and prayers coming your way.

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

If I may...you are grotesque. And, I thought I liked you.

Damn. And here I thought I used all the good adjectives to describe me. You still do like me, deep down. Friends can have bad days too? Can't they? We'll get over this little misunderstanding, won't we?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

What is your problem?

And another thing. Maybe my initial reply was because I do care. Maybe my problem is because cancer has touched some of those I do care about. Maybe my problem is I want more information on how the OP is proceeding. Call it a caring curiosity. Those that come here and post, must expect those that contribute to want an update. It's rather pretty simple really. And because of our banter, the OP is getting more clicks on her issue. But to really answer your question ... On occasion I do have a problem of squeezing out a loaf, but I'm told that adding fiber to my diet will help. Thank you for asking.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

If you want to enhance your viewing pleasure, put that Wackadoodie Loon on ignore.