Police detain 900 students, search each one, find nothing.

Chris0nllyn

No drugs were found in a search of Worth County High School Friday; a search that has the community buzzing.

Students went home to tell parents that not only did law enforcement search the school for drugs, but their persons were patted down by officers.

The Sylvester Police Department did a search on March 17, and found no drugs.

When asked about that previous search that came up dry, Hobby said he didn't think that search was thorough, so he decided to do his own.

Walters said K9's were brought in. Then, each student was pat down by deputies.

In the student handbook it says school officials may search a student if there is reasonable suspicion the student has an illegal item. Hobby says he was able to search every student, simply because he had an administrator with him.

Worth County Schools attorney Tommy Coleman said in order for the Sheriff's office to search any students, they'd had to have reason to believe there was some kind of criminal activity or the student had possession of contraband or drugs.

"If you don't have that then this search would violate an individuals rights," said Coleman. "[It] violates the constitutional right and enforcing them the right against unreasonable search and seizures."

http://www.walb.com/story/35168276/worth-co-sheriff-defends-controversial-school-search

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Come on, It's Georgia. I think that they take a different oath over there, don't they? Anyway, a recall election sounds good right about now for that county. And since the Sheriff was obviously operating under the color of law, he, and all his deputies present at that school, should be charged under 18 U.S. Code § 242 - Deprivation of rights under color of law:

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
There was an incident recently at Patuxent HS where they had a drug dog going down halls. Alerted on one locker, Parents were called and it ended up being just the student's salad. Haha!! No drugs were found anywhere. :lol:

glhs837

Power with Control
There was an incident recently at Patuxent HS where they had a drug dog going down halls. Alerted on one locker, Parents were called and it ended up being just the student's salad. Haha!! No drugs were found anywhere. :lol:

Poppy seeds in the dressing?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Which also proves that these dogs are fallible and should not be used. Since they can be, and most likely are, used, as determined by the handler, wink-wink, to give false positives to secure that all important, "probable cause" search.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
If I may ...

Which also proves that these dogs are fallible and should not be used. Since they can be, and most likely are, used, as determined by the handler, wink-wink, to give false positives to secure that all important, "probable cause" search.

Noticed that each week while watching Live PD. Every car stopped seemed to get the drug dog treatment and every time the dog "hit" on something in the vehicle.

officeguy

Oh, and I hope that all those responsible lose their job.

and their pension.

I also hope they get boils and bad breath.

officeguy

Noticed that each week while watching Live PD. Every car stopped seemed to get the drug dog treatment and every time the dog "hit" on something in the vehicle.

There should be repercussions for any car search that turns up nothing. Maybe a civil fine of $20,000 against the department.

The cops blast their successful searches all over the media, even if all they find is a straw or some pills without a script. You will never see a press release 'after a search Cpl. Donutbag found absolutely nothing and we left the motorist by the side of the road with all his belongings spread out on the shoulder.'

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I seem to recall that there was at least one "surprise" schoolwide search conducted at LHS some years ago. I don't think the students themselves were searched though. If I recall correctly, the students were all assembled with little warning and the search of lockers commenced. Maybe sniffing dogs in student parking lot too. Does that ring a bell with anyone else?

stgislander

PREMO Member

Assuming that the patrol car wasn't a K-9 unit, didn't the Supreme Court rule recently that detaining a car, beyond the time to conduct a routine traffic stop, to wait for a K-9 unit to arrive to conduct a sniff was a violation of the 4th Amendment?

Chris0nllyn

Assuming that the patrol car wasn't a K-9 unit, didn't the Supreme Court rule recently that detaining a car, beyond the time to conduct a routine traffic stop, to wait for a K-9 unit to arrive to conduct a sniff was a violation of the 4th Amendment?

Yes. I believe the wait was something like 30 minutes in that case.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Yes. I believe the wait was something like 30 minutes in that case.

unconstitutional ... not sure, but I do recall hearing more than 20 min is stretching the limits of reasonable

Police can only 'detain'* you on the side of the road so long

as soon as a stop is initiated ... the countdown starts ... [I am sure the definition of 'reasonable' is subjective]

*detain may not be the proper legal term ... but you know I mean detain, stop, pull you over

Chris0nllyn

Update:

A group of Georgia high school students have reached a $3 million settlement against the Worth County Sheriff's Office after a judge ruled that law enforcement violated their civil rights by conducting a massive drug search without probable cause.

A judge ordered former Worth County Sheriff Jeff Hobby and his deputies to pay the staggering settlement to the students.

Attorney Raleigh Rollins, who represented Hobbs and the Worth County deputies, said taxpayers will not be responsible for paying the settlement. Instead, he said the funds will come from the Association County Commissioners of Georgia, which essentially provides insurance coverage to the sheriff's department.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-3-million-settlement-against-sheriff-n821131

truby20

Fighting like a girl
I seem to recall that there was at least one "surprise" schoolwide search conducted at LHS some years ago. I don't think the students themselves were searched though. If I recall correctly, the students were all assembled with little warning and the search of lockers commenced. Maybe sniffing dogs in student parking lot too. Does that ring a bell with anyone else?

I remember it like it was yesterday, it was the start of the great Southern MD golden age! Crime fell to record low levels, jobs were plentiful and compensation was generous, all we had to do was to scare those kids into knowing that at any moment you could could be detained and your things searched just on thought you could have some pot on you. None was every really found and thank goodness, NOTHING ruins a life like a joint!

I mean student loan debt, a dysfunctional marriage, dealing with the drudgery of 40 years of working, those aren't things to worry about or know how to handle! Just stay away from those drugs and it'll all be A-OK :yahoo:

Hijinx

I remember it like it was yesterday, it was the start of the great Southern MD golden age! Crime fell to record low levels, jobs were plentiful and compensation was generous, all we had to do was to scare those kids into knowing that at any moment you could could be detained and your things searched just on thought you could have some pot on you. None was every really found and thank goodness, NOTHING ruins a life like a joint!

I mean student loan debt, a dysfunctional marriage, dealing with the drudgery of 40 years of working, those aren't things to worry about or know how to handle! Just stay away from those drugs and it'll all be A-OK :yahoo:

Anybody hear about a girl being beat unconscious at Great Mills the other day?