GOP drops border wall funding

Chris0nllyn

The down-payment on construction of a border wall that President Donald Trump had sought has been dropped as part of the latest GOP proposal for a spending bill to prevent a government shutdown at the end of this week.

The latest offer by Republicans to Democrats in 11th-hour negotiations omits the $1 billion the White House had asked for to begin construction on a wall on the Southern border, three aides on Capitol Hill told NBC News.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., was at the White House Monday night and said that Trump seemed to understand that $1 billion for a $20-plus billion project isn't worth a government shutdown at this point.

The next big item for negotiators is funding for a subsidy in the Affordable Care Act that helps low-income people afford health care. The Trump administration has indicated they want to withhold funding — a move that would further destabilize the insurance market, which Trump says would help speed the collapse of Obamacare.

Other sticking issues include money for coal miners' health care and pensions, programs set to expire if they aren't extended.

Another issue being debated is the Trump administration's request for an additional $30 billion in defense spending.
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...rder-wall-government-funding-proposal-n750851

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For the moment only. I like Ted's idea of using confiscated cartel dollars to build it.

Chris0nllyn

For the moment only. I like Ted's idea of using confiscated cartel dollars to build it.

Yea, the US's drug war made people like El Chapo super rich, and now that he's extradited to the US, we say "Give us $14bn to pay for the border wall". Mind you, this is the same guy who headed a cartel known for tunneling under walls.

Besides that, in 2015, the DOJ seized $8.7 billion worth of assets. This is overall, and not limited to the border and does not include what was seized by Mexican authorities. The border wall is estimated to cost over $20 billion. Not to mention the sometimes innocent people who had their stuff seized by the DOJ.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yea, the US's drug war made people like El Chapo super rich, and now that he's extradited to the US, we say "Give us $14bn to pay for the border wall". Mind you, this is the same guy who headed a cartel known for tunneling under walls.

Besides that, in 2015, the DOJ seized $8.7 billion worth of assets. This is overall, and not limited to the border and does not include what was seized by Mexican authorities. The border wall is estimated to cost over $20 billion. Not to mention the sometimes innocent people who had their stuff seized by the DOJ.

I still like Ted's idea of using confiscated cartel dollars to build it. ;-)

stgislander

PREMO Member
Once again.

walls.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If some terrorist blew up the Rayburn and Russell Bldgs and killed everyone in it, that wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit. I'm so sick of these people I could puke.

Clem72

Why are we federally funding coal miner healthcare and pension plans to begin with? Which congress arsehole let these energy companies "restructure" their way out of paying for those debts (placing all of the liabilities with one company and spinning off all of the valuable assets to another company that can rake in record profits).

Wish I could get away with shet like that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Taken right from the conservative script l

You have that quite bass ackwards, my stunningly slow friend. You far left types invented "safe spaces", defined "microagressions", identified "triggers" , and so on. You snowflakes have been on quite a roll.