charles county law on parking a tractor trailer in your driveway/property?

DannyMotorcycle

I thought i saw it somewhere, but cant' find it online now, about the legalities of buying an 18 wheeler trailer
and using it as a shed.. but i can't find it.. so.. anyone happen ot know the law or where to look to find it?

for some reason i think it wasn't allowed?

tommyjo

I thought i saw it somewhere, but cant' find it online now, about the legalities of buying an 18 wheeler trailer
and using it as a shed.. but i can't find it.. so.. anyone happen ot know the law or where to look to find it?

Ya know the county govt has email addresses, phone numbers, mailing addresses...and you have a county commissioner and his/her staff to help constituents with such questions. Maybe you should make the effort to avail yourself of one of those options???

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ya know the county govt has email addresses, phone numbers, mailing addresses...and you have a county commissioner and his/her staff to help constituents with such questions. Maybe you should make the effort to avail yourself of one of those options???

Yeah..instead of simply asking the question on a forum full of people. You elevate stone-cold-stupid to amazing levels.

Say..you ever get that growth on your lip looked at? Starting to look like a frog's foreleg. You know I'm not kissing those lips again until you get that checked out.

Forkian

It's a free country! If you want to buy a tractor-trailer, then buy a tractor-trailer. If you chose to live where there is a HOA, then you don't deserve freedom because you gave your rights away to the HOA.

BernieP

Resident PIA
It's a free country! If you want to buy a tractor-trailer, then buy a tractor-trailer. If you chose to live where there is a HOA, then you don't deserve freedom because you gave your rights away to the HOA.

and people like you are why civilized people need an HOA. Sure helps the neighborhood property values when some redneck has a trailer parked in the front yard, or a 25 foot high pile of trash in the back.

Saw a house in Single Tree that had a double high wood fence - thought it was odd. Then we saw the little POS trailer and the trash pile behind on the other side of the fence. Fence didn't solve the problem, it just highlighted it. Probably was a hard sell when it looks like the neighbor has a few screws loose.

Kinnakeet

EXACTLY! If you live where there is no hoa then you can have a pig farm in your front yard!:elaine:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

Probably the zoning regulations, §297-29. Accessory uses and structures. Subsection (B)(12) says
Except for trucks used in farming the property on which they are located or trucks used in conjunction with a permitted use, trucks and/or trailers exceeding five tons empty weight shall not be stored or parked in any residential zone unless engaged in moving household goods or making deliveries.

Hannibal

EXACTLY! If you live where there is no hoa then you can have a pig farm in your front yard!:elaine:

This is why people live where there is an HOA. After living in a neighborhood where one didn't exist, I quickly grew tired of the one neighbor who used his front yard as overflow parking. At a minimum, his personal truck sat off his driveway and directly in front of his porch. This was so his box truck work vehicle could use the driveway and easily back up to the stockpile storage area he created next to the garage. In hindsight, he likely used that area as a stockpile to help create a screen of sorts so people couldn't see the '85 Firebird he had buried underneath it all. All very lovely in terms of curb appeal ...........

Also had a neighbor down the street who had nearly twice as many vehicles as his driveway could hold. Thankfully, he didn't park in his front yard, he just double parked them on the street. One vehicle would be on the edge of the road and another would be parked on the non-existent shoulder (into the edge of the yard).

Let's not talk about another neighbor - thankfully closer to the entrance of the neighborhood - who elected not to cut his grass one year (out of spite for another neighbor who commented on the grass height once is got past about 8" deep). Nothing better in maintaining/increasing home values when perspective buyers believe your house is full of foreclosures/abandoned homes.

Now, with an HOA (albeit a very mild one) - people have obligations to maintain their property - and have expectations of others. Grass/yards need to be maintained. RV / boats need to be tucked behind the house. No permanent on street parking, etc. It's really not a bad deal. You do have to obtain certain permissions for additions of course but it's all to ensure you don't elect to paint your house a neon-pink while surrounded by a bunch of brick fronted colonials.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've been planning to park a 20' sea container on some blocks to store steel and engines in. But it would not be visible to any neighbor or from any public road.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Let's not talk about another neighbor -

Yes, let's not please. If people want to freely give up their rights and be under control of a HOA by signing and agreeing to some orneriness covenant and restriction documents, then super duper. But there are people that like to use their property for whatever reason, unrestricted. Not everyone wants to live in a ticky-tacky cookie-cutter subdivision with a bunch of nosy neighbor people.

Forkian

If I may ...

Yes, let's not please. If people want to freely give up their rights and be under control of a HOA by signing and agreeing to some orneriness covenant and restriction documents, then super duper. But there are people that like to use their property for whatever reason, unrestricted. Not everyone wants to live in a ticky-tacky cookie-cutter subdivision with a bunch of nosy neighbor people.

I agree. I keep my property neat and looking nice. But I don't need a HOA/neighbors in my business. Likewise, I mind my own and don't stick my nose in my neighbors business and we all get along just fine.

black dog

Free America
I've been planning to park a 20' sea container on some blocks to store steel and engines in. But it would not be visible to any neighbor or from any public road.

I own multiple 20' connex containers, at both of my shops I have one that sits in a hole in the shop wall that I store all my steel. This way it doesn't take up any space in the shop. I first saw it being used in that manner at Stoffers Machine Shop in Mechanicsville. The third is at my house in town, i use it to reload in. I tucked it in next to my garage and I painted it the same color as my house and garage. Two pieces of fence and Walla... It blends right in. Not a complaint from the city or any neighbors.
I use them because you just can't build a structure that lasts as long, is and inexpensive and is as secure and as easy as a connex container.
I did lay down super heavy plastic and gravel down underneath each one, and set them on solid cinder blocks so air can move around under them.

I'm a big believer in personal property rights, if you don't live in a community with a hoa why do some folks care what a neighbor or someone down the road does with there property. Take care of your own property and stop worrying about what someone else does with there's.

Some here would not fair well in the rural atmosphere.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

I agree. I keep my property neat and looking nice. But I don't need a HOA/neighbors in my business. Likewise, I mind my own and don't stick my nose in my neighbors business and we all get along just fine.

Yep,,, it's that simple. If you don't pay the taxes on it, it's none or you business.
I love the neighbors at my farm, they know I'm busy for 9 months out of the year.
If I don't mow out by the road or around the fields one of my neighbors will do it for me.
I take over in the winter when I spend more time there by grading everyone's driveway and pushing snow. And anytime a broken piece of equipment is sitting outside of the shop and I can fix it, I take care of it. Sometimes I don't even know who owns it until months later when they ask me if they owe me any money.
It took years there before folks trusted me, and once they understood I don't give two $hits about what they do on there own place, we all became good friends.
It's easier to be a asset that a problem.

Hannibal

Yep,,, it's that simple. If you don't pay the taxes on it, it's none or you business.
I love the neighbors at my farm, they know I'm busy for 9 months out of the year.
If I don't mow out by the road or around the fields one of my neighbors will do it for me.
I take over in the winter when I spend more time there by grading everyone's driveway and pushing snow. And anytime a broken piece of equipment is sitting outside of the shop and I can fix it, I take care of it. Sometimes I don't even know who owns it until months later when they ask me if they owe me any money.
It took years there before folks trusted me, and once they understood I don't give two $hits about what they do on there own place, we all became good friends.
It's easier to be a asset that a problem.

All well and good folks but I laugh at the whole concept of "giving up rights." People try to make this statement as if others were forced into some decision and are being deprived of some privilege. In reality, people enter in an agreement like this to protect themselves from others who can't seem to understand decent vs. indecent when it comes to sharing an area. Quite honestly, I feel it's a sad endorsement of our society when people have to enter into said agreements in order to protect their assets because they can't trust neighbors to be decent. Again, using my example from earlier in the thread, I had issues with neighbors junking up their yard to the point it was an eyesore. This made my home value suffer and quite honestly, made me embarrassed to even bring people around. Is it unreasonable for a person to keep their junk out of site?

I'm all for your rights to use your property as you see fit but I don't accept people doing so at the dismissal of those who surround them. I feel courtesy is an admirable trait. If you want to have complete range of use of your property (junk it up, stage cars in your yard, house your 12 chickens, etc) - move to a place where you have land and space - therefore your neighbors aren't forced to fully share in your hobbies or decorating style. If I wanted to live in a place where I was good with high grass, tractors in the yard and clothes lines run from mailbox to front door, I know where to find such land.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Well, that's all good until you get a neighbor who doesn't take care of their sh!t. I don't have a HOA and I have a neighbor around the corner who mows his lawn (wheat field) like twice a year. I might accidently end up going there for a Round Up party one night.

Hannibal

I agree with you. In my previous homes, I had no HOA to deal with. I prided myself on my homes appearance and kept my yard and house well maintained. In reality, I always got along with all my neighbors and it was never a matter of my business or theirs. However, having to look out my window across the street at the two junk cars in their front yard certainly did have an effect of me. Or the neighbor who refused to cut their grass (or rake leaves) certainly did have an impact on me. Spent many weekends cleaning up his leaves that would simply blow into my yard. It also had a noticeable impact on resale and constantly was part of the showing feedback when people visited our house while trying to sell. Quite certain it cost me (quite) a few bucks when I sold. So, there is a point where their business does become mine I guess.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I agree with you. In my previous homes, I had no HOA to deal with. I prided myself on my homes appearance and kept my yard and house well maintained. In reality, I always got along with all my neighbors and it was never a matter of my business or theirs. However, having to look out my window across the street at the two junk cars in their front yard certainly did have an effect of me. Or the neighbor who refused to cut their grass (or rake leaves) certainly did have an impact on me. Spent many weekends cleaning up his leaves that would simply blow into my yard. It also had a noticeable impact on resale and constantly was part of the showing feedback when people visited our house while trying to sell. Quite certain it cost me (quite) a few bucks when I sold. So, there is a point where their business does become mine I guess.

Good points here. We all don't live in a vacuum. The actions of those around us have an impact on us. I know some HOAs go too far but if that happens, get involved. It happened to me years ago and I get fed up and I ran and got elected to the board of directors and was able to make some positive changes. It's one thing to b!tch about stuff. It's entirely different to actually try to make things better.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Apparently there are differences in the definition of "Freedom" for different people. I'll take mine the old fashioned way; Fully unencumbered.

Hannibal

If I may ...

Apparently there are differences in the definition of "Freedom" for different people. I'll take mine the old fashioned way; Fully unencumbered.

And that's perfectly well to do so. I've always said that if you support the First Amendment, that means you have to accept that sometimes stupid people will say stupid sh!t (and they do). Just comes with the territory when you support a blanket protection idea (and I do). You just hope people have some decency when utilizing their right.

Unfortunately, that "decency" isn't always applied or present and while I can't control that issue with the First Amendment (should I object to someone), I do have some control with where/how I live. And yes, it does suck a bit that you have to adopt a set of "laws" to define what is acceptable and what isn't. But that's how society largely works now. You can't rely on (most) people to at least show some consideration to their neighbors anymore. That's why HOA's are in place I'd say. I know I can't have chickens (which I would love) but I also know my neighbor can't park his 18-wheeler in front of his house on the main street or plan to harvest wheat in his front yard either.