Drug Use is"Victimless" - Not.

Freefaller

tommyjo

To all people that share that sediment that drug use is a victimless situation. Tell this mother victim of a victim-less act of stupidity that.

"I just want everyone to know that my son Michael overdosed on fentanyl, she wrote. "My son was not an addict he made a mistake that cost him his life."

Maybe "mom" should have been paying attention? Her son "was not an addict"??? My ass.

According to the CBC, Michael accepted the fentanyl that killed him after a male acquaintance offered it to him under the pretense that it was "really strong" heroin.

1. Casual or first time users do not take something purported to be "really strong heroin" in a "store bathroom"!

2. this wasn't a tragedy...it was an inevitability.

3. Where's the "victim" I am supposed to feel sorry for?

Chris0nllyn

It's too bad he didn't have access to a safe injection facility, which are in Canada.

No one has ever died from an OD at one.

black dog

Free America
It's too bad he didn't have access to a safe injection facility, which are in Canada.

No one has ever died from an OD at one.

There should be one in every neighborhood, they need to be everywhere just like wheelchair accessible street corners. It's not like most hardcore drug addicts have a car to drive, so the need to be easily available to use. And don't forget the free needle and cooking acc that are needed along with a safe happy place to do illegal drugs.
You should open the first one up. Certainly you could get a small business loan with a repeat customer base that never has any cash to pay.

black dog

Free America
There is one...in Callaway.

I believe that is Outlook Recovery, it's a outpatient clinic that does methodone maintenance and drug rehab along with pee testing and a few other things.
I don't believe you can roll in with your heroin / crack and use a room.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Maybe "mom" should have been paying attention? Her son "was not an addict"??? My ass.

1. Casual or first time users do not take something purported to be "really strong heroin" in a "store bathroom"!

2. this wasn't a tragedy...it was an inevitability.

3. Where's the "victim" I am supposed to feel sorry for?

:yeahthat: He took it thinking it was "strong Heroin" so it's hard to believe that he wasn't already a drug user. Most first-timers wouldn't go for the hard stuff right off the bat, I would think.

littlelady

God bless the USA
:yeahthat: He took it thinking it was "strong Heroin" so it's hard to believe that he wasn't already a drug user. Most first-timers wouldn't go for the hard stuff right off the bat, I would think.

Must be nice to know everything, Einstein, and then to be so snuggly, and all. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

There should be one in every neighborhood, they need to be everywhere just like wheelchair accessible street corners. It's not like most hardcore drug addicts have a car to drive, so the need to be easily available to use. And don't forget the free needle and cooking acc that are needed along with a safe happy place to do illegal drugs.
You should open the first one up. Certainly you could get a small business loan with a repeat customer base that never has any cash to pay.

SIFs aren't privately operated. They are publicly funded, and turns out, they save taxpayer money.

I believe that is Outlook Recovery, it's a outpatient clinic that does methodone maintenance and drug rehab along with pee testing and a few other things.
I don't believe you can roll in with your heroin / crack and use a room.

There's no safe injection facilities anywhere in the US...yet. That's because it's federally illegal to do so.

There are two in Canada though. 3 million people visited it since it opened, with about 5,000 ODs, and no deaths.

Last edited:

luvmygdaughters

As much as it pains me to agree with TJ on anything, I have to say, I agree with her on this. I feel terrible for the mother, but, her son was an "addict". Maybe if she had recognized this and admitted it to herself, she may have been able to help him. I still stand firm on my opinion that SIF's would be a waste of tax payer money and one that I should not be forced to support. I've never done drugs, my children have never done drugs, why should I be mandated to support someone who does?

Chris0nllyn

As much as it pains me to agree with TJ on anything, I have to say, I agree with her on this. I feel terrible for the mother, but, her son was an "addict". Maybe if she had recognized this and admitted it to herself, she may have been able to help him. I still stand firm on my opinion that SIF's would be a waste of tax payer money and one that I should not be forced to support. I've never done drugs, my children have never done drugs, why should I be mandated to support someone who does?

The same reason our taxdollars go to a myriad of different public health programs.

SIFs aren't only about giving someone somewhere to consume drugs. They offer a place where medical care can be instant, saving taxpayers the expense of ambulatory care, hospital stays, etc. It also gets dirty needles off the streets, lowering the chances for you and your family (and the many other like it) from contracting blood borne illnesses. They exist across the world, in about 100 cities. No evidence exists that they increase drug usage or trafficking. It's pretty remarkable really considering many share your sentiment. I did at one point as well, but I recently wrote a report on them and the info I found led me to believe these places work.

luvmygdaughters

The same reason our taxdollars go to a myriad of different public health programs.

SIFs aren't only about giving someone somewhere to consume drugs. They offer a place where medical care can be instant, saving taxpayers the expense of ambulatory care, hospital stays, etc. It also gets dirty needles off the streets, lowering the chances for you and your family (and the many other like it) from contracting blood borne illnesses.

You and I agree to disagree on this subject. Feeding children, helping the disabled, offering monetary help to families who need it, are quite different than funding a place for an addict to commit an illegal activity.

Chris0nllyn

You and I agree to disagree on this subject. Feeding children, helping the disabled, offering monetary help to families who need it, are quite different than funding a place for an addict to commit an illegal activity.

And many, many agree with you. If you look at it from a macro level and not the "just a place to do drugs" level, it makes sense.

We already spend about $1 billion per year on substance and alcohol abuse treatment (with our taxdollars), we already spend millions on hospital and ambulatory care for addicts (with our taxdollars). Jail costs about $24,000 per person per year. Methadone costs almost $5000 per year for one person. All this and most people in treatment do not stay. In the cases of opioid addiction, addicts simply have to hit rock bottom before wanting treatment. Forcing them into treatment via court mandated treatment, or family intervention may help in some cases, but overall, it has to be on the addict to seek help, and stick with it.
http://www.heritage.org/budget-and-spending/report/the-case-against-more-funds-drug-treatment

According to several conservative estimates, every dollar invested in addiction treatment programs yields a return of between $4 and $7 in reduced drug-related crime, criminal justice costs, and theft. When savings related to healthcare are included, total savings can exceed costs by a ratio of 12 to 1. Major savings to the individual and to society also stem from fewer interpersonal conflicts; greater workplace productivity; and fewer drug-related accidents, including overdoses and deaths.
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicati...tions/drug-addiction-treatment-worth-its-cost

So, as much as you want to believe your taxdolalrs are being spent reasonably, a good chunk already pays for treatment.