Do you believe in man made climate change?

CalvertNewb

Seperating your opinions on the role of the government to regulate environmental protections and restrictions.

Do you believe mankind is having a adverse effect on the environment on a large scale? I.e. Weather, temperature and sea level, ice caps, destruction of species large and small?

If you do what should be done without involving the federal government?

If you don't why does it seems weather patterns have been more unpredictable and the global temperature seems to be rising

SamSpade

Seperating your opinions on the role of the government to regulate environmental protections and restrictions.

Do you believe mankind is having a adverse effect on the environment on a large scale? I.e. Weather, temperature and sea level, ice caps, destruction of species large and small?

If you don't why does it seems weather patterns have been more unpredictable and the global temperature seems to be rising

Yes - and no. I think someone on here put it best - if I piss in the ocean, I might make the ocean level rise - but it's not significant.
I don't think man's contribution to warming the planet is as significant as several other things that occur cyclically over long periods of time.

If it is as catastrophic as the alarmists are saying - nothing really can be done about it. The smartest course of action is to prepare.
If it's not - which is what I believe - steps can be taken to ameliorate what we are doing to the environment but if the answer is to give money here and there, I don't believe it has any value. I don't trust the motives of someone who says gimme lots of money and I will solve the unsolvable.

I don't KNOW why weather patterns seem more unpredictable. Actually - I don't know that they are.
I think it's similar to the same pattern of public health scares, diseases and threats to our community that we always have - it's not that they happen more often but that we are more aware of them. Are there more ADD kids and kids with autism - or are we just paying attention? Are our kids in more danger just walking down the street - or are we more fearful? Are there more things out there that can kill us - or is someone making a name for themselves by making of afraid of it?

Boils down to something I've always maintained - you're *ALWAYS* being manipulated. Either it's your friends, your kids, your boss, your radio broadcast - everything is always trying to slant the truth towards THEM. Always. Even being aware of it doesn't shield you from being swayed.

CalvertNewb

Yes - and no. I think someone on here put it best - if I piss in the ocean, I might make the ocean level rise - but it's not significant.
I don't think man's contribution to warming the planet is as significant as several other things that occur cyclically over long periods of time.

If it is as catastrophic as the alarmists are saying - nothing really can be done about it. The smartest course of action is to prepare.
If it's not - which is what I believe - steps can be taken to ameliorate what we are doing to the environment but if the answer is to give money here and there, I don't believe it has any value. I don't trust the motives of someone who says gimme lots of money and I will solve the unsolvable.

I don't KNOW why weather patterns seem more unpredictable. Actually - I don't know that they are.
I think it's similar to the same pattern of public health scares, diseases and threats to our community that we always have - it's not that they happen more often but that we are more aware of them. Are there more ADD kids and kids with autism - or are we just paying attention? Are our kids in more danger just walking down the street - or are we more fearful? Are there more things out there that can kill us - or is someone making a name for themselves by making of afraid of it?

Boils down to something I've always maintained - you're *ALWAYS* being manipulated. Either it's your friends, your kids, your boss, your radio broadcast - everything is always trying to slant the truth towards THEM. Always. Even being aware of it doesn't shield you from being swayed.
Thank for taking the time to answer thoughtfully.

Using you example what if 7 billion people piss in the ocean at once? Numerous times a day. Which is basically what is happening. Some dries and evaporates. Some sinks in to the groundwater. Some flows to rivers , bays and the ocean. It is now "contaminated" with our prescription drugs, what we've eaten or been exposed to. Could 7 billion not make a difference ?

I understand your skepticism and agree there are many forces at work that may be colluding to influence our beliefs and our desire to give money. However I also believe that a large majority of independent scientists agree that the earth is warming and sea levels are rising. Many believe it is due to human activity.

To me it seems logical that if you live ina. System that Is basically a closed loop with a finite amount of resources such a huge number of people using and spiking those resources we are ventilated going to reach a tipping point where the oceans can no longer support life due to acidification. The oceans we do know have a huge impact on weather patterns and this will cause weather to become even more unpredictable.

You say the smartest course of action is to prepare for it. How should we be doing that? Collectively or individually? Why do you believe we can't effect change on a large scale if we have been able to effect negative change so far?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Using you example what if 7 billion people piss in the ocean at once? Numerous times a day. Which is basically what is happening. Some dries and evaporates. Some sinks in to the groundwater. Some flows to rivers , bays and the ocean. It is now "contaminated" with our prescription drugs, what we've eaten or been exposed to. Could 7 billion not make a difference ?

:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme gawd,,yr a peach, kid.

PsyOps

Pixelated

I'm not sure why some humans have decided that humans are so powerful and the earth is this fragile orb floating through space. It's quite the opposite. Despite everything that has been thrown at this globe, life has survived. I'm not the least bit worried about what humans might do.

So no, I'm not a believer in man-made global warming... or climate change, or whatever you want to call it next week.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm not sure why some humans have decided that humans are so powerful and the earth is this fragile orb floating through space. It's quite the opposite. Despite everything that has been thrown at this globe, life has survived. I'm not the least bit worried about what humans might do.

So no, I'm not a believer in man-made global warming... or climate change, or whatever you want to call it next week.

The uneducated - like Newb and TJ and MR - support the flawed conclusions/assertions simply because they are totally unequipped to evaluate them rationally.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Do you believe in man made climate change?

Are you an idiot? There is but a blip, a speck, an infanticimal amount of historical weather keeping records in relation to the age of this planet and the human presence. Why, just a little over 11,000 years ago an ice age ended. Did humans cause those glaciers that went as far south as 38 degrees latitude to melt and recede? The very same ones that gave us the Chesapeake bay? Shaped our mountain ranges? Gave us the Great Lakes and more? That big ball of fire in the sky is what causes "climate change". The rotation and orbit of the earth and moon and all of the other planets in this solar system, and others, control the climate, nothing else. To think man does, or can, is the utmost hubris and folly. There is one thing that is causing a change, just not the weather, and that is those three nuclear core meltdowns spewing radioactive contamination into the pacific and the air at Fukushima.

tommyjo

Nope. Definitely not.

It's called....wait for it...Weather.

You've got to be f***ing kidding? You compost on here constantly about climate change and you don't even understand the definitional difference between WEATHER and CLIMATE?!?!?! Aww...man...that is priceless!!!!

Here...try this:

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/noaa-n/climate/climate_weather.html

It might help or it might not...it is written by smart people with actual degrees from actual universities.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

Are you an idiot? There is but a blip, a speck, an infanticimal amount of historical weather keeping records in relation to the age of this planet and the human presence. Why, just a little over 11,000 years ago an ice age ended. Did humans cause those glaciers that went as far south as 38 degrees latitude to melt and recede? The very same ones that gave us the Chesapeake bay? Shaped our mountain ranges? Gave us the Great Lakes and more? That big ball of fire in the sky is what causes "climate change". The rotation and orbit of the earth and moon and all of the other planets in this solar system, and others, control the climate, nothing else. To think man does, or can, is the utmost hubris and folly. There is one thing that is causing a change, just not the weather, and that is those three nuclear core meltdowns spewing radioactive contamination into the pacific and the air at Fukushima.

So something natural like 400 meters of Mount St Helens exploding does no harm.

I'm gonna go with, no matter what we do here, it's just a blink of time to the earth.
What we do is irrelevant..

CalvertNewb

So something natural like 400 meters of Mount St Helens exploding does no harm.

I'm gonna go with, no matter what we do here, it's just a blink of time to the earth.
What we do is irrelevant..

That I agree with 100%. The planet will certainly continue one way or another. Even if it wipes out all human kind and most of the species we presently have another life form will invariably take over at some point.

CalvertNewb

I guess then it's a difference of life as we know it presently continuing. Obviously there were other forms of life prior to is and will continue to be after humans are gone.

To think that we are having no impact however is foolish

black dog

Free America
I guess then it's a difference of life as we know it presently continuing. Obviously there were other forms of life prior to is and will continue to be after humans are gone.

I just hope if I turn into a fossil that it's warm outside when it happens to me.
So when someone digs me up, the women swoon and the men walk away feeling small and inadequate.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

So something natural like 400 meters of Mount St Helens exploding does no harm. I'm gonna go with, no matter what we do here, it's just a blink of time to the earth. What we do is irrelevant..

I don't know, did it? From what I remember, in the grand scheme of things, didn't really do much. Besides, that's not man made. And yes, what we do is irrelevant. It's not about climate. It is instead about monetizing fear and uncertainty created by an indoctrinating school system and governments taking us for all they can get away with.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You've got to be f***ing kidding? You compost on here constantly about climate change and you don't even understand the definitional difference between WEATHER and CLIMATE?!?!?! Aww...man...that is priceless!!!!

Here...try this:

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/noaa-n/climate/climate_weather.html

It might help or it might not...it is written by smart people with actual degrees from actual universities.
. In case you had not noticed yet, your posts are well beyond irrelevant....though amusing at times. You get that growth looked at yet?

PsyOps

Pixelated

Every creature on this earth has an impact on our environment. Volcanos and seeping oil on the ocean floors have a far greater negative impact on this earth than man ever could; and that impact is marginal. As to whether we are actually CAUSING a problem, you'd have to dismiss all past catastrophic events that were unable to destroy the balance that allows life to be sustained on this earth.

CalvertNewb

Every creature on this earth has an impact on our environment. Volcanos and seeping oil on the ocean floors have a far greater negative impact on this earth than man ever could; and that impact is marginal. As to whether we are actually CAUSING a problem, you'd have to dismiss all past catastrophic events that were unable to destroy the balance that allows life to be sustained on this earth.

Sounds like a bit of an overreach to me. Just because none of those events caused the immediate destruction of the balance doesn't mean they aren't contributing to it.

Just like with humans. It's impossible to know how many years we are shaving off of our lives on this planet and that we ar emit hastening the destruction.

Living directly on the water I can tell you with certainty that sea levels are higher than they were just ten years ago.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Living directly on the water I can tell you with certainty that sea levels are higher than they were just ten years ago.

Really? And what is your scientific method of measurement? Because every indication of no sea level change in Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's that I've been to, lived on, fished from, ate from a deck or pier on, partied on, swam in, driven over, crabbed from, for the past 40 years says otherwise.

It's impossible to know how many years we are shaving off of our lives on this planet and that we ar emit hastening the destruction.

Yeah. Just like smoking or living with a woman. We really don't know the years we are losing. But then again, who gives a sh*t? There are some things we just will never know the answer to. I'm good with that.