Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. first-quarter growth weakest in three years

U.S. first-quarter growth weakest in three years

Huh...how come no post from Ivy League Lite??? Where are ya Gilligan???? Another first quarter...another poor start to the year. Trump was President for all but 19 days in Q1. Isn't it HIS fault? Come on...beguile us with your deep and profound understanding of macro economics!!!

I've been waiting for weeks for this to come out...as all data coming out in Q1 was showing a weak Q1. Figured none of you sheep would submit this.

So what does this mean? Not much...as I've stated during every Q1 for years, Q1 data has been weak since the recession ended. There must be some issue in the seasonal adjustments due to the impact of the recession.

Helluva a start for President Short Bus...though. 0.7 annualize...no infrastructure spending...no defense spending (Christ these morons are hours from a shutdown despite having 1 party rule)...impossible to see how we get to the promised 4, no 5, no wait 6% annualized GDP our illustrious leader promised and dumbasses like Gilligan think is possible!

The U.S. economy grew at its weakest pace in three years in the first quarter as consumer spending barely increased and businesses invested less on inventories, in a potential setback to President Donald Trump's promise to boost growth.

Gross domestic product increased at a 0.7 percent annual rate also as the government cut back on defense spending, the Commerce Department said on Friday. That was the weakest performance since the first quarter of 2014
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN17U0EL

Here is the actual BEA report: https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/nat...ewsrelease.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tommyjo View Post
    So what does this mean? Not much..
    Cool.

Carry on.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Blog Entries
    Tell that to my stock portfolio.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Tell that to my stock portfolio.
    Not exactly the same thing though, is it?
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Barry would have us believe so....he and his minions constantly pointed to the stock market gains as proofs of their genius in turning the economy around.

What maroons like TJ failed to note is that everyone - Trump included - expects the 3-4% GDP growth to occur quite some time in the future...years in the future. After all the factors that will affect growth are actually in place long enough to have effect. Her lack of a high school education showing again.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 04-28-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Barry would have us believe so....he and his minions constantly pointed to the stock market gains as proofs of their genius in turning the economy around.

What maroons like TJ failed to note is that everyone - Trump included - expects the 3-4% GDP growth to occur quite some time in the future...years in the future. After all the factors that will affect growth are actually in place long enough to have effect. Her lack of a high school education showing again.
    True, usually takes up to 5 years to see the results. Ask Bill Clinton. It was Bush 1 that got his economy going!
    President Trump, the most qualified POTUS in the last 8 and a half years!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Isn't it?

I give zero chits about how the powers that be massage the numbers and manipulate "growth" or "unemployment". I care only about my own personal bottom line, and the bottom line of my clients who pay me for my service and keep me in business.

So far we are experiencing growth in 2017, after a very long period of decline and stagnation.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by tommyjo View Post
    So what does this mean? Not much...as I've stated during every Q1 for years, Q1 data has been weak since the recession ended.
    when exactly did the recession end ToJAM

outlook still looks pretty weak ... true the President has no direct input - other than setting pro business polices and reducing regulations
    instead of leaving business owners standing around wondering when the next tax hike was going to hit or using the EPA to shut down coal mines, by attacking their source of revenue

oh well Green Energy Programs left American on the hook for 2.2 Billion in Loan Guarantees, so at least the bankers are making out

So far we are experiencing growth in 2017, after a very long period of decline and stagnation.

Last edited by GURPS; 04-28-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

9. 04-28-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post

And the right constantly pointed out economic growth numbers to prove their point. They're both wrong.

Not only does he expect 3-4%, but most of the growth expectations set forth by govt. are based on the expected growth numbers that (historically) have been about half that.

Isn't it?

I give zero chits about how the powers that be massage the numbers and manipulate "growth" or "unemployment". I care only about my own personal bottom line, and the bottom line of my clients who pay me for my service and keep me in business.

No, it's not the same.

Growth is a good thing. Assuming it outpaces inflation, but don't confuse your high returns on your 401k with BEA figures.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.