Cautiously Optimistic Update: "Got Heart Transplant?"

b23hqb

PREMO Member
As an addendum to my previous thread "Got Heart Transplant?" I'd like to respond to those who replied to that thread, and thank you once again for your response, comments, and prayers.

I was hospitalized again for five days in early April for a continuous fever/chills/shivering. The cardiologists on my transplant team at Tampa General (TGH)were very worried about a possible infection, so I was under observation pending blood cultures. Fortunately, I did not develop any kind of bacterial infection, which in the heart is almost always lights out, see ya, baby. So it was something viral, not the flu, but one of those unexplained things. To my great relief, the cardiologist decided to wean me off the Milrinone IV that had been pumping straight into my heart for the previous six weeks. The port in my chest was considered a highway (their term) for infections. After two days of reducing, then stopping, the infusions, they were very happy that the oral heart meds I was takingkept me at the level where I did not need the infusions. Praise the Lord for that, because wearing that pump for six weeks 24/7, changing the bag out every day, and having a home care nurse weekly to change the Hickman dressing, was getting bothersome. I can now take a real shower without having to saran-wrap, duct tape, and all other combinations we tried on my chest to keep it dry. What a pain, and never really came up with a combo that was effective for more than a minute or two.

My team at TGH started me on a recently (about 18n months) approved heart med here (but used effectively for about 15 years in Europe) called Entresto. This drug works well with what I have been taking, been doing it for two days now, and seems to be working well. It is designed to help strengthen badly failing hearts like mine (congestive heart failure), so the next month of blood work will determine something about my future. The DR's are very pleased, and for now any transplant has been put on the back burner. I like that idea.

Part of the philosophy of the team at TGH, and their preference (and mine) is that a transplant can be avoided. Amen to that. If I can get my heart from about 10-15% ejection fraction (60% is generally considered maximum output, 10-15 is dangerously low, thus TGH)) to about 20 - 25%, which is what these drugs are designed to do, I should be able to maintain a steady blood flow, enough for most normal activities that do not demand exertion.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/ejection-fraction/expert-answers/faq-20058286

So I am happy about that for now, hoping and praying to avoid the traumatic experience of such a drastic procedure, and all the drugs and problems that will surely entail, and appreciate your thoughts and comments. It is good to know that the experts in this field feel the same way.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
So I am happy about that for now, hoping and praying to avoid the traumatic experience of such a drastic procedure, and all the drugs and problems that will surely entail, and appreciate your thoughts and comments. It is good to know that the experts in this field feel the same way.
:yay: :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Glad you're on the mend. :yay:

Do you mind me asking, was it lifestyle or hereditary or something else that contributed to your heart's failure? (And if you do mind, just tell me it's none of my business and I'm okay with that.)

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Glad you're on the mend. :yay:

Do you mind me asking, was it lifestyle or hereditary or something else that contributed to your heart's failure? (And if you do mind, just tell me it's none of my business and I'm okay with that.)

It's none of your business (just kidding):buddies: but I don't mind at all. I did the usual stupid things as a younger man. but I never smoked, only a light drinker for the most part, so the only other reasonable cause, according to my cardiologists, is something viral got hold of my heart sometime in the past. They still have no idea what the virus could be, or where it came from. That is a universal medical conundrum to this day. My CHF was diagnosed about six years ago, and for some reason my heart really enlarged about two years ago. That's when the problems started, at least what I noticed, with the hospitalization and installing of the defib/pacemaker, putting me where I am today. They have no idea what causes that. Just luck of the draw. My dad, his dad, and his dad died of heart attacks, but as far as I know there is no history of CHF with my dad or his dad. I never met my great grand father, and never really knew my grandfather (he died when I was 2).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's none of your business (just kidding):buddies: but I don't mind at all. I did the usual stupid things as a younger man. but I never smoked, only a light drinker for the most part, so the only other reasonable cause, according to my cardiologists, is something viral got hold of my heart sometime in the past. They still have no idea what the virus could be, or where it came from. That is a universal medical conundrum to this day. My CHF was diagnosed about six years ago, and for some reason my heart really enlarged about two years ago. That's when the problems started, at least what I noticed, with the hospitalization and installing of the defib/pacemaker, putting me where I am today. They have no idea what causes that. Just luck of the draw. My dad, his dad, and his dad died of heart attacks, but as far as I know there is no history of CHF with my dad or his dad. I never met my great grand father, and never really knew my grandfather (he died when I was 2).

The reason I ask is because I like to do my own non-scientific causal relationship studies. Don't we all know folks who break every health rule under the sun, yet live to a ripe old age and die peacefully in their beds? Conversely, we know people who live right, exercise and eat clean, never smoke or drink...then their ticker conks out at a young age (one of my best friends, health nut, heart gave up when he was mid-50s; my great-uncle was fit and healthy, no bad lifestyle habits, heart gave out after he got home from playing tennis when he was late-40s; no family history in either case).

I always wonder how much of health failure really is just what you said, luck of the draw, and not necessarily lifestyle related.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I love your humor, frankness, and bravery in what you are facing. From what I have seen in my time here, you are an amazing person. I wish you all the best a million times over. :huggy:

hitchicken

B23. Sorry if the reply is a little long. Your threads strike home.

My heart failure came all at once on April 1991, the result of a heart attack. I permanently lost 25% of my primary heart muscle (that’s the big one on the bottom) and I would never get it back. Suddenly, I was a heart failure patient. It was the result of doing everything wrong. I was fat, smoked, drank, worried endlessly, worked 10 to 12 hours a day… and weekends. I was a heart failure poster boy.

Even then there were stats on the life expectancy of an average heart failure patient: 5 years. It scared the s**t out of me and into action.

I knew computers. I studied everything available at that time on the CHF subject. (Yeah, the online access sucked back then). I concentrated on 3 things to try and beat the odds. (Smoking was no longer an issue. Even though I had quit many times before, April 1991 was the last time I touched a ciggie. It’s easy with the right motivation.)

1. Weight: As you have probably found out, the compromised heart can’t pump oxygenated blood through the body as easily any more. I ended up with stage 2 kidney disease as a result. CHF and kidney problems go hand in hand. Neither can it move lymph as well. Feet, legs and appendages swell grotesquely as water settles and collects in the lower extremities. I had to lose weight fast. I dropped 55 lbs quickly and continue to lose weight. I currently fluctuate between a BMI of 25 and 26. It’s not enough. I must lose more to stay ahead of my deteriorating physical dynamics. The swelling has virtually disappeared and the kidney function has stabilized at stage 2. Currently, 180 to 185 seems to be my trigger point. That weight is a distant memory in my rearview mirror. I stay as far away from these numbers as is physically possible.

2. Blood Pressure & Stress: Look it up yourself. There are a dozen ways (including meds) to get your blood pressure down to normal. Yes, I dumped the job and retired early. As the song goes, “I’ve got a new attitude… dud do… dud do…”. Just a few days ago, I laughed my butt off when my entire septic system to my home collapsed. It’s going to cost me a fortune… ain’t that some s**t… ha… ha! Sorry, heirs.

3. Mouth, Gum, Teeth Infections: This is strictly IMHO. I absolutely believe that infection in the mouth triggers trauma in the heart. In the early days, my gum, teeth and mouth were so infected my dentist refused to treat me any longer. They threw me out. I did something rather drastic. I won’t describe it here out of fear someone else out there might try it & fail. Failing could have dire consequences. Today, the mouth, gum infection is completely gone and I still have my teeth (most of them anyway.)

Last time I checked the obits, I was still here and still got my original compromised heart. I beat that 5 year stat by a few & I appreciate each & every one.

Modern medicine, doctors and hospitals are miracle workers, but remember the old saying, “God helps those who…” Become proactive. Become a heart failure expert if only in your own mind. There’s a lot of resources out there I didn’t have back then. Listen to your body b***h, then learn how to fix it. I believe that’s what it takes.

Again, I wish you the best and a very long happy life… and I hope I’m around to witness it.

The Hitchicken.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
B23. Sorry if the reply is a little long. Your threads strike home.

My heart failure came all at once on April 1991, the result of a heart attack. I permanently lost 25% of my primary heart muscle (that’s the big one on the bottom) and I would never get it back. Suddenly, I was a heart failure patient. It was the result of doing everything wrong. I was fat, smoked, drank, worried endlessly, worked 10 to 12 hours a day… and weekends. I was a heart failure poster boy.

Even then there were stats on the life expectancy of an average heart failure patient: 5 years. It scared the s**t out of me and into action.

I knew computers. I studied everything available at that time on the CHF subject. (Yeah, the online access sucked back then). I concentrated on 3 things to try and beat the odds. (Smoking was no longer an issue. Even though I had quit many times before, April 1991 was the last time I touched a ciggie. It’s easy with the right motivation.)

1. Weight: As you have probably found out, the compromised heart can’t pump oxygenated blood through the body as easily any more. I ended up with stage 2 kidney disease as a result. CHF and kidney problems go hand in hand. Neither can it move lymph as well. Feet, legs and appendages swell grotesquely as water settles and collects in the lower extremities. I had to lose weight fast. I dropped 55 lbs quickly and continue to lose weight. I currently fluctuate between a BMI of 25 and 26. It’s not enough. I must lose more to stay ahead of my deteriorating physical dynamics. The swelling has virtually disappeared and the kidney function has stabilized at stage 2. Currently, 180 to 185 seems to be my trigger point. That weight is a distant memory in my rearview mirror. I stay as far away from these numbers as is physically possible.

2. Blood Pressure & Stress: Look it up yourself. There are a dozen ways (including meds) to get your blood pressure down to normal. Yes, I dumped the job and retired early. As the song goes, “I’ve got a new attitude… dud do… dud do…”. Just a few days ago, I laughed my butt off when my entire septic system to my home collapsed. It’s going to cost me a fortune… ain’t that some s**t… ha… ha! Sorry, heirs.

3. Mouth, Gum, Teeth Infections: This is strictly IMHO. I absolutely believe that infection in the mouth triggers trauma in the heart. In the early days, my gum, teeth and mouth were so infected my dentist refused to treat me any longer. They threw me out. I did something rather drastic. I won’t describe it here out of fear someone else out there might try it & fail. Failing could have dire consequences. Today, the mouth, gum infection is completely gone and I still have my teeth (most of them anyway.)

Last time I checked the obits, I was still here and still got my original compromised heart. I beat that 5 year stat by a few & I appreciate each & every one.

Modern medicine, doctors and hospitals are miracle workers, but remember the old saying, “God helps those who…” Become proactive. Become a heart failure expert if only in your own mind. There’s a lot of resources out there I didn’t have back then. Listen to your body b***h, then learn how to fix it. I believe that’s what it takes.

Again, I wish you the best and a very long happy life… and I hope I’m around to witness it.

The Hitchicken.

I agree with your assessment.

Although I weighed 219 in July 2015 when all my troubles really started, resulting in the pace maker/defib installation, I was quite muscular on a 5'11 frame, good physique (not a stud, but pretty good for a 61 year old, and in good aerobic shape. Breathing was not an issue. I now hover between 178 and 184 weight, 180- today, and have lost most of my muscle, but I can see my abs now clearly, I feel good with my weight now, the Dr's are happy, and i'm told I look pretty good, really. I've always been a good-looking dude. You can ask my wife!

Also really agree with your dental assessment. I have known that for a long time. Some people poo-poo the idea, but every dentist and DR worth their salt will tell you there is a direct correlation with dental disease and heart difficulties. Doesn't sound right, but it's right there. I take good care of the teeth forever, and adhere to the twice yearly cleanikngs, etc., and dental floss, although not fun, is a routine in my house.

Pulse, blood pressure have always been good, and no cholesterol or any kind of blockage in my arteries. I'm clean as a whistle there, am told those are the arteries of an athletic 25 year old, but dealing with a failing heart. Luck of the draw.

Thanks for the comments, and I hope you're doing as OK as you can be. OK for me is the new normal, I guess. I'm happy with that, and hoping these meds will be enough to keep me living as normal a life as possible. Will be 63 in June.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Wow, hitchicken! Putting your story out there requires courage, and b23 has courage, too. I so wish you both the best. This forum is great for support. I just want to give y'all a ton of huggies. :huggy: :huggy: :huggy: :huggy: :huggy: :huggy:

I am healthy, but I have family issues that test my faith. So, I understand. It is the thing about why do bad things happen to good people, and all. To be honest, there are so many things I don't understand.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As an addendum to my previous thread "Got Heart Transplant?" I'd like to respond to those who replied to that thread, and thank you once again for your response, comments, and prayers.

I was hospitalized again for five days in early April for a continuous fever/chills/shivering. The cardiologists on my transplant team at Tampa General (TGH)were very worried about a possible infection, so I was under observation pending blood cultures. Fortunately, I did not develop any kind of bacterial infection, which in the heart is almost always lights out, see ya, baby. So it was something viral, not the flu, but one of those unexplained things. To my great relief, the cardiologist decided to wean me off the Milrinone IV that had been pumping straight into my heart for the previous six weeks. The port in my chest was considered a highway (their term) for infections. After two days of reducing, then stopping, the infusions, they were very happy that the oral heart meds I was takingkept me at the level where I did not need the infusions. Praise the Lord for that, because wearing that pump for six weeks 24/7, changing the bag out every day, and having a home care nurse weekly to change the Hickman dressing, was getting bothersome. I can now take a real shower without having to saran-wrap, duct tape, and all other combinations we tried on my chest to keep it dry. What a pain, and never really came up with a combo that was effective for more than a minute or two.

My team at TGH started me on a recently (about 18n months) approved heart med here (but used effectively for about 15 years in Europe) called Entresto. This drug works well with what I have been taking, been doing it for two days now, and seems to be working well. It is designed to help strengthen badly failing hearts like mine (congestive heart failure), so the next month of blood work will determine something about my future. The DR's are very pleased, and for now any transplant has been put on the back burner. I like that idea.

Part of the philosophy of the team at TGH, and their preference (and mine) is that a transplant can be avoided. Amen to that. If I can get my heart from about 10-15% ejection fraction (60% is generally considered maximum output, 10-15 is dangerously low, thus TGH)) to about 20 - 25%, which is what these drugs are designed to do, I should be able to maintain a steady blood flow, enough for most normal activities that do not demand exertion.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/ejection-fraction/expert-answers/faq-20058286

Stuff like this always makes me wonder about my will; would I pack it in and say #### it? Would I find resolve? Would I be along for the ride as my body fights on it's own? Does feeling like you're fighting help or make it harder? You're living what most of us are gonna have to face one day sooner or later.

If you don't mind, what is the challenge? My instinct is to give you a big 'ol rebel yell and tell you to fight for all you got and get up and do it again. But I don't know.

Whatever you're doing, it's working! :buddies:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Stuff like this always makes me wonder about my will; would I pack it in and say #### it? Would I find resolve? Would I be along for the ride as my body fights on it's own? Does feeling like you're fighting help or make it harder? You're living what most of us are gonna have to face one day sooner or later.

If you don't mind, what is the challenge? My instinct is to give you a big 'ol rebel yell and tell you to fight for all you got and get up and do it again. But I don't know.

I'm fighting to improve as much as I can, but quality of life is big on my agenda. To suffer the trauma of a transplant, and possibly be essentially a slave to drugs and DR visits, is not at the top of the list. Stuff like that, and the post op medicines for life after are a potential bank breaker, and I have told my wife and kids I will not put their future in jeopardy to maintain me, and I mean it. As long as I can live a decent semblance of a free-floating quality of life that does not require oxygen, a wheel chair or walker, and the inability to get away from the hospital or doctors office, then I will run this heart as carefully and efficiently as possible.

I'm almost 63, have had a very fruitful and blessed life, and although I don't really feel like checking out early, I want to do it on my terms.

So I'm (we're) hoping this new round of heart meds gives me a longer opportunity to do that rather than a transplant.

Right now, getting to Colorado in July for our first family reunion in a long time is my goal. Who knows, it could be my last roundup, but that will fall into the hands of God, and I'm very comfortable and secure in Him and His plan for me.

One never knows what lies in store for them, for sure.:buddies:

hitchicken

This may seem a bit odd, but the willpower, drive, resolve... whatever you want to call it will come with the illness. I think b23 will find this out or agree as well.

When you think you are healthy, stopping smoking, losing weight, exercising, quitting bad unhealthy habits is really hard. You know that. When 'staying alive' becomes your top priority, all those things become very easy because you are motivated... REALLY motivated!! Your willpower, etc. will appear naturally as if by magic. It WILL appear.

hitchicken

I'm fighting to improve as much as I can, but quality of life is big on my agenda. To suffer the trauma of a transplant, and possibly be essentially a slave to drugs and DR visits, is not at the top of the list. Stuff like that, and the post op medicines for life after are a potential bank breaker, and I have told my wife and kids I will not put their future in jeopardy to maintain me, and I mean it. As long as I can live a decent semblance of a free-floating quality of life that does not require oxygen, a wheel chair or walker, and the inability to get away from the hospital or doctors office, then I will run this heart as carefully and efficiently as possible.

I'm almost 63, have had a very fruitful and blessed life, and although I don't really feel like checking out early, I want to do it on my terms.

So I'm (we're) hoping this new round of heart meds gives me a longer opportunity to do that rather than a transplant.

Right now, getting to Colorado in July for our first family reunion in a long time is my goal. Who knows, it could be my last roundup, but that will fall into the hands of God, and I'm very comfortable and secure in Him and His plan for me.

One never knows what lies in store for them, for sure.:buddies:

I'm 73. Diagnosed heart failure in 1991. Let's see... checking... checking... YES! It's confirmed. I am still alive. Beat that record, b23.

Try not to speculate on the potential bad things that might or could happen. Look for the positive things you can do to improve. Yes, God is there, but I will repeat, "God helps those who help themselves."