White House Correspondents Dinner

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I saw a bunch of clips from the "comedian" they selected to "entertain" everyone. The arseclown was vile, disgusting and never once funny.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I saw a bunch of clips from the "comedian" they selected to "entertain" everyone. The arseclown was vile, disgusting and never once funny.

That's the other thing: for the few days after, it's in all the news like it was really something. Clips on the news, stories in all the papers and magazines, big headlines on social media...for a show that maybe 10 people are interested in. The host this year was clearly a dud that even Variety couldn't polish, according to their list of his "best" remarks, yet they're all crowing about how "brilliant" he was.

:lol:

PeoplesElbow

Really it is no more than my divisions annual summer picnic or holiday party. I did get #### for not attending once.

Hijinx

This time they gave themselves a standing ovation.

Hey, why be surprised when they report that they had a helluva great party?
They are reporting on themselves.

Do you really expect the media to say the media's party sucked?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Does anyone care about this besides the press and politicians? I have never watched this one single time - do regular people do that, watch this thing? Or give a crap? I'm guessing the only reason it's televised is because the media likes to pat itself on the back. Last year its rating were below Big Bang Theory and Spongebob reruns.

So why are you commenting on it this year? You must care somewhat. Or would it be that you're trying to downplay it because His Majesty wasn't in attendance?

Just saying.

:)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The dinner is where Trump made his decision.

[video=youtube;Htt91G2qDwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htt91G2qDwM&t=68s[/video]

SamSpade

So why are you commenting on it this year? You must care somewhat. Or would it be that you're trying to downplay it because His Majesty wasn't in attendance?

Just saying.

I wouldn't except like a lot of things - the press has MADE it an issue.
Most years, it's something you barely notice in the news unless the President was unusually funny and made a few good quips about themselves.

THIS year, it's been front and center because the President has chosen to forego the "nerd prom".
As at least one radio announcer has described Washington - "Hollywood for ugly people".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Or would it be that you're trying to downplay it because His Majesty wasn't in attendance?

I downplay it because it's not important to me and I was curious if it was important to other regular people.

Did you watch it?

PsyOps

Pixelated

Just saying.

I'd like to see every president, from here on out, do this. Let the whole thing die. Nothing but a bunch of elites patting themselves on the back. In the same vein as the Academy Awards... a bunch of self-important people awarding themselves for doing what they do for a living. If I were president, aimed at working for the people - not a bunch of elite media heads - I wouldn't waste my time either.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'd like to see every president, from here on out, do this. Let the whole thing die. Nothing but a bunch of elites patting themselves on the back. In the same vein as the Academy Awards... a bunch of self-important people awarding themselves for doing what they do for a living. If I were president, aimed at working for the people - not a bunch of elite media heads - I wouldn't waste my time either.

Did you watch the Frontline link? There's a real argument to be made that, absent Obama embarrassing Trump in front of that crowd, he'd have not decided to run. That means, most likely, Hillary beats Kasich.

SamSpade

Did you watch the Frontline link? There's a real argument to be made that, absent Obama embarrassing Trump in front of that crowd, he'd have not decided to run. That means, most likely, Hillary beats Kasich.

And there's video of Trump in various venues prior to 2011, saying he'd been considering it.
You also have him actually SAYING otherwise.

But what do I know compared to someone examining his face on a video and writing about it.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I downplay it because it's not important to me and I was curious if it was important to other regular people.

Did you watch it?

No I didn't watch it. I normally do. There's been some pretty good comedy at these things in the past. I didn't watch because I'd heard that Trump was skipping it. Otherwise, I would've made a point to tune in. I would've liked to see his monolog.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And there's video of Trump in various venues prior to 2011, saying he'd been considering it.
You also have him actually SAYING otherwise.

But what do I know compared to someone examining his face on a video and writing about it.

What do you know compared to your own knowledge of human behavior? You're saying you think it had nothing to do with it because he says so?

He's been considering it for as long as I've known who he is; since the 80's.

PsyOps

Pixelated

No. I don't care about any of that. The whole Media-love-fest is pointless to me - especially in light of how dishonest they are.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No. I don't care about any of that. The whole Media-love-fest is pointless to me - especially in light of how dishonest they are.

In context of Trump, not being interested in the media love fest is like saying you're not interested in how jazz came into being.

tommyjo

That is an interesting comment...I wonder if you realize:

1. Trump skipped the Correspondents Dinner to hold a rally in PA...a rally in which all he did was pat himself (an elite if there ever was one) on the back and lie about all his "accomplishments"/

2. Almost EVERY award banquet is people awarding themselves for what they do.

3. If you were "President, working for the people", maybe you would actually work for the people...instead of presenting a tax "plan" that is purely self serving or just working for a different bunch of rich people????

awpitt

Main Streeter
I find it hard to believe you wouldn't watch something you normally enjoy just because Trump wasn't going to appear.

Why?

The whole reason I normally watch the thing is to see the Prez cutting up on stage and being funny. Without that, there's no interest.