Appreciate your opinion: discharging guns & loose dog.

hitchicken

I like where I live. It's in the Town Creek, Esperanza Farms development area. I have no intention of moving just because of the following 'distractions'. Am I over-reacting and just becoming an 'old man'?

There's is one dog in particular that roams the neighborhood a few days each week. He/she barks at nearly everyone walking, jogging, walking their own dog, pushing a baby carriage or passing (without a car) during those times. Other than that, the dog's a total coward. No, not 'dangerously snarling and snapping', but bark, bark, bark, bark, bark, bark... you get the idea. The dog is unattended and uncontrolled. No, the dog is not in his owner's yard. No, the dog isn't threatening close to the barking recipient. Most everyone I see in this area walks their dog on a leash and carries a 'poopy scoop' stick & a plastic bag. I admit, that surprises me. Am I wrong to be sympathetic to the walker's sanity? Am I overreacting?

Same neighborhoods. Once a week or every two weeks, semi-automatic weapons fire floats through the serenity of the hood. I can't tell where it is coming from, but it's close. I know enough about the sounds of guns to know it's semi-auto, pistols, rifles & occasionally, a shotgun blast or two. No, it not hunting season. Yes, it's some sort of 'test firing' or... whatever.

Okay, put me in my place or tell me what, if anything, to do. The forum is cheaper than a psychiatrist. Here, I'll just lie down on this couch. I will pay attention.

officeguy

You moved to the country. Lose dogs and gunfire are part of the ambiance. You are over-reacting. Get over it.

That's $5.

hitchicken

You moved to the country. Lose dogs and gunfire are part of the ambiance. You are over-reacting. Get over it.

That's $5.

Thanks, doc. I feel better already. The quality of your service is reflected in your price. By the way, it's 'loose', not 'lose'.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

That's $5.
A housing development in California isn't the country it's the suburbs. Dogs should be kept in their own yards and guns should only be shot where it's safe to do so.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't think of Town Creek/Esperanza Farms as "the country". Those are home sites in a subdivision, not an acreage outside of town.

If I knew who was firing the guns, I may or may not care, depending on who it is. If it's someone normal, I wouldn't care; if it's the local #### bags, I would call the cops. If they're doing it at night, I would definitely call the cops.

The dog needs to be on a leash or contained. Period. It could be hit by a car, it could be killed by someone who doesn't know it's "friendly" - see my thread on this very issue.

I do not think you're overreacting at all, but the unfortunate reality is....there's nothing you can do about it. Unless Animal Control gets off their dead ass and actually happens to see the dog roaming, they won't do anything about it. Like as not, they won't even come investigate. Not sure what the law says regarding firing guns in a residential neighborhood, but even if it's illegal it's unlikely the cops will bother with it, especially if you don't know where it's coming from.

I'd like to be more positive about your situation, but honestly you're probably just going to have to deal with it. If it's any consolation, I sympathize with you.

hitchicken

I'd like to be more positive about your situation, but honestly you're probably just going to have to deal with it. If it's any consolation, I sympathize with you.

Thank you... and everyone. Excellent advice all. The 10 ounce was a big help, Kyle. I've decided to deal with it... and get a gun.

officeguy

A housing development in California isn't the country it's the suburbs. Dogs should be kept in their own yards and guns should only be shot where it's safe to do so.

Anything south of the beltway is 'the country'. 'Suburban' requires and 'urb' that it is attached to. What city does California belong to ? Lexington Park ? California is unincorporated county land, just a place name, a post office.

black dog

Free America
Anything south of the beltway is 'the country'. 'Suburban' requires and 'urb' that it is attached to. What city does California belong to ? Lexington Park ? California is unincorporated county land, just a place name, a post office.

This might help.
Saint Marys County Code:

Ch. 317 of 1985, adding § 268C to Article 27 of the Annotated Code, provided that in St. Mary's County a person may not engage in target practice with or discharge a gun or weapon on certain lands without first obtaining written permission of specific individuals; provided that violation of said Act is a misdemeanor; and provided certain penalties on conviction of a violation of said Act.

http://library.municode.com/index.as...ename=Maryland

hitchicken

Town Creek and Esperanze Farms are in Lexington Park for God knows why. There's some sort of 'gerrymanding' involved from decades ago. I don't understand. The California PO actually South of me on 235. Go figure.