Calvert votes to keep property tax

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

"“The bond rating’s everything,” said Hart" And here in lies the problem. These asses do not care about the people they are supposed to represent. It's all about pleasing the financiers.

Quotes below from the Recorder.

“For my 20 percent, [his vote], I want to see that bond rating stay at a AAA bond rating,” stressed Hejl" Confirms he does not represent the people of Calvert.

"“I think it’s a dangerous money situation right now,” said Nutter, suggesting that the county look at financing in the long-term and defer any rate reduction until after the bond rating review next month. His concern was over maintaining an excellent bond rating which will save the county and its taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars in interest for financed projects in Calvert." Another confirmation of who he does not represent. Also, easy cheap money leads to lots of debt. More expensive money makes one think harder if a project is truly worth going into debt for. But these asses cannot think for themselves. Everything comes from "staff".

"In an April 27 memo from Finance and Budget director Tim Hayden, the BOCC was informed that the county’s financial advisor cautioned them against a tax change and that “one of the bond rating agencies concerns has always been the county’s willingness to enhance revenues and sustain those actions.”" In other words, the commissioners willingness continually to bend over the people of Calvert.

"Commissioners’ Vice President Evan Slaughenhoupt (R) said that the commissioners are all Republicans and as a party they all know that lowering taxes is a virtue, but they are not just about lowering tax rates." We all know that this is a BS statement. There are at least two RINOs on this board.

Rather than looking at trying to simply come across as though we are simply placating a certain constituency by reducing tax rates, that we focus our attention on developing an actual plan forward for funding with the Dominion dollars,” stressed Slaughenhoupt. What a complete and total clueless waste of human flesh to say this. The "certain constituency" is only most likely the entire tax paying population of Calvert County!

All of these Cee Uoo Next Tuesdays need to be thrown out next election. They do not represent the people of Calvert County but some other entities. Three of these asses are, or were, government employees. Slopenhop Federal. Hejl and Nuter both retired Calvert County deputies. These latter asses both directly benefit from their voting to increase taxes and to fund, (not a legal requirement), OPEB to the tune of millions.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

"“The bond rating’s everything,” said Hart" And here in lies the problem. These asses do not care about the people they are supposed to represent. It's all about pleasing the financiers.

Quotes below from the Recorder.

“For my 20 percent, [his vote], I want to see that bond rating stay at a AAA bond rating,” stressed Hejl" Confirms he does not represent the people of Calvert.

"“I think it’s a dangerous money situation right now,” said Nutter, suggesting that the county look at financing in the long-term and defer any rate reduction until after the bond rating review next month. His concern was over maintaining an excellent bond rating which will save the county and its taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars in interest for financed projects in Calvert." Another confirmation of who he does not represent. Also, easy cheap money leads to lots of debt. More expensive money makes one think harder if a project is truly worth going into debt for. But these asses cannot think for themselves. Everything comes from "staff".

"In an April 27 memo from Finance and Budget director Tim Hayden, the BOCC was informed that the county’s financial advisor cautioned them against a tax change and that “one of the bond rating agencies concerns has always been the county’s willingness to enhance revenues and sustain those actions.”" In other words, the commissioners willingness continually to bend over the people of Calvert.

"Commissioners’ Vice President Evan Slaughenhoupt (R) said that the commissioners are all Republicans and as a party they all know that lowering taxes is a virtue, but they are not just about lowering tax rates." We all know that this is a BS statement. There are at least two RINOs on this board.

Rather than looking at trying to simply come across as though we are simply placating a certain constituency by reducing tax rates, that we focus our attention on developing an actual plan forward for funding with the Dominion dollars,” stressed Slaughenhoupt. What a complete and total clueless waste of human flesh to say this. The "certain constituency" is only most likely the entire tax paying population of Calvert County!

All of these Cee Uoo Next Tuesdays need to be thrown out next election. They do not represent the people of Calvert County but some other entities. Three of these asses are, or were, government employees. Slopenhop Federal. Hejl and Nuter both retired Calvert County deputies. These latter asses both directly benefit from their voting to increase taxes and to fund, (not a legal requirement), OPEB to the tune of millions.

The only one seemingly worth a damn is Weems.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
What they should have done is compromised at the halfway point, then you guys would be applauding.

Having said that, concern about bond ratings is serious, is real and can accrue millions of dollars in additional interest cost over the life of the bonds with even a small increase in rate. I'm sure most of you realize you don't "pay cash" when you build roads or schools or water and sewer systems or other public facility projects.

BernieP

Resident PIA
These asses do not care about the people they are supposed to represent. It's all about pleasing the financiers.
No government or agency can carry enough cash on hand to finance a capital program - hence they need to secure funding via bonds.
The better their credit, the better the terms, meaning lower cost to the taxpayers.
So of course, they are about pleasing the financiers
It's for the long term fiscal health of the County

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

What they should have done is compromised at the halfway point, then you guys would be applauding. Having said that, concern about bond ratings is serious, is real and can accrue millions of dollars in additional interest cost over the life of the bonds with even a small increase in rate. I'm sure most of you realize you don't "pay cash" when you build roads or schools or water and sewer systems or other public facility projects.

So at the expense of the people, the commissioners kowtow to the financiers and a financial advisor? The cheaper the bond (loan) interest amount the more debt and less willingness to listen to the people when the people say we don't need a certain project. But these projects will always go through to appeal to the stupid and to get these asshats re-elected. It is a vicious circle. Easy money begets more debt and unnecessarily larger projects. Also, instead of continuing with an underfunded pension system, and again stealing from the people to plow millions upon millions more into it at their expense, the commissioners should have it converted to a traditional 401K system and get completely out of the pension business.
The millions coming from Dominion should primarily be used pay down our existing debt. At least a vast percentage anyway. The remainder for infrastructure.

There are ways to "pay-go" in government. There just has to be a will. A will that is currently lacking in Prince Frederick.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I may ...

So at the expense of the people, the commissioners kowtow to the financiers and a financial advisor? The cheaper the bond (loan) interest amount the more debt and less willingness to listen to the people when the people say we don't need a certain project. But these projects will always go through to appeal to the stupid and to get these asshats re-elected. It is a vicious circle. Easy money begets more debt and unnecessarily larger projects. Also, instead of continuing with an underfunded pension system, and again stealing from the people to plow millions upon millions more into it at their expense, the commissioners should have it converted to a traditional 401K system and get completely out of the pension business.
The millions coming from Dominion should primarily be used pay down our existing debt. At least a vast percentage anyway. The remainder for infrastructure.

There are ways to "pay-go" in government. There just has to be a will. A will that is currently lacking in Prince Frederick.

If I may ...

At the expense of the long term fiscal heath of the taxpayers of Calvert County.

There's one thing you always prove, you don't know the square root of #### about a lot of things.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

There's one thing you always prove, you don't know the square root of #### about a lot of things.

So because I'm of a different opinion of you "Oh Great One", and think that things can be done differently in government requiring much less of the people's money, I don't know anything? Well unless you can fully articulate what is wrong with my opinion, GFY. Oh, btw, you have a bit of ejaculate on your chin.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I may ...

At the expense of the long term fiscal heath of the taxpayers of Calvert County.

County == Taxpayers.
If the county government's rating isn't strong, the next project will cost the taxpayers more as the interest on the bonds will be higher.
Capital programs are almost always financed through bonds. That's schools, roads, sewers, water, etc. You couldn't borrow money to build your house at the rate governments (with good ratings) do.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

County == Taxpayers. If the county government's rating isn't strong, the next project will cost the taxpayers more as the interest on the bonds will be higher. Capital programs are almost always financed through bonds. That's schools, roads, sewers, water, etc. You couldn't borrow money to build your house at the rate governments (with good ratings) do.

I understand this Bernie. But when do the taxpayers get a break? Especially when millions are going to start rolling in from Dominion? The tax rate can be rolled back, and, new capital projects paid for in full at the same time, and pay down the debt service, and some other things. None of this would affect the precious bond rating. New debt would not be needed since we can pay-go with the Dominion additional revenues. But since we have no leaders in Prince Frederick with balls, this won't happen, but should. With a new requested bond authority of $17,620,000, there would be plenty of change left over to do the other things. Besides, the difference between a AAA bond rating and an A bond rating is just about half a point (.50). That difference on a $10 million dollar bond is (2.50% v 3.00%) only $31,236 per year on a 20 year maturity. Less for a AA, AA-, AA+, rating. Not worth to keep screwing the taxpayers over to achieve that precious bond rating for.

officeguy

'Because our consultant said that that is what the ratings agencies look for'. That's about the lamest excuse ever.

The ratings agencies care that the revenues match the expenses. Calverts revenue is in the process of going up, so unless the commissioners are planning to go on a spending spree, adjusting the rate should not affect the bond rating.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
What no one has mentioned is that assessments, at least in the 3rd district (north Calvert), dropped with the most recent reassessment.

The same is expected over the next two years for the 1st and 2nd.

As a note, every million dollars of bond requires about $75K/year repayment at current interest rates.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

What no one has mentioned is that assessments, at least in the 3rd district (north Calvert), dropped with the most recent reassessment. The same is expected over the next two years for the 1st and 2nd. As a note, every million dollars of bond requires about $75K/year repayment at current interest rates.

Big woop! Assessments go done, revenues go down, then expectations should and must go down. Are you referring to those same assessments that skyrocketed in years past and millions upon millions, of undeserved, more revenue flowed in and yet, no adjustment was made to the tax rate? Those assessments? But STILL, the revenue from Dominion will come in. Tax rates can still be reduced.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I may ...

Big woop! Assessments go done, revenues go down, then expectations should and must go down. Are you referring to those same assessments that skyrocketed in years past and millions upon millions, of undeserved, more revenue flowed in and yet, no adjustment was made to the tax rate? Those assessments? But STILL, the revenue from Dominion will come in. Tax rates can still be reduced.

Wait a minute. Aren't you one of the ones who claimed that there wasn't going to be any money from Dominion and the whole thing was a scam? Yes, I do believe you were. So which is it? No money or money rolling in?

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I may ...

Wait, weren't you one of those that felt it was unfair teachers didn't get the money they were promised in the contract?
Wait, assessments went down, revenue went down, so lower the expectations. That includes the school budget, cut the school budget.