Netflix Edits ‘Bill Nye’ Episode to Remove Segment Saying Chromosomes Determine Gender

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But in the version of the episode uploaded to Netflix, the segment has been cut entirely. While noncontroversial at the time, the 1996 segment appears to contradict Netflix's new series "Bill Nye Saves the World."

The new show endorses a socially liberal understanding of gender, under which gender is defined by self-identification rather than genetics and there are more than just the two traditional genders.

It is not clear whether the 1996 segment was cut when it was first uploaded, or whether the edit was in reaction to recent controversies over Bill Nye's stance on gender identity.

Netflix Edits ‘Bill Nye’ Episode to Remove Segment Saying Chromosomes Determine Gender

This_person

To be fair, gender is primarily a social construct. Even the definition ("either the male or female division of a species, especially as differentiated by social and cultural roles and behavior: the feminine gender.") strongly implies the trappings of sex, not the sex itself. If I wore a skirt, high heels, eye liner, eye shadow, and a bra I would likely be of the female gender or Milton Berle.

However, if I have an X and a Y chromosome, I am of the male sex. If I have two X chromosomes, my sex is female. Even if I am Bruce "Call me Kate" Jenner, and I dress like a girl and think like a girl and walk like a girl and have my penis cut off, I have an X and a Y, I am of the male sex; but, the female gender.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

However, if I have an X and a Y chromosome, I am of the male sex. If I have two X chromosomes, my sex is female.

I wonder ... is it possible to have/be YY chromosome? And if so, what would one become? They never taught that in school.

terbear1225

To be fair, gender is primarily a social construct. Even the definition ("either the male or female division of a species, especially as differentiated by social and cultural roles and behavior: the feminine gender.") strongly implies the trappings of sex, not the sex itself. If I wore a skirt, high heels, eye liner, eye shadow, and a bra I would likely be of the female gender or Milton Berle.

However, if I have an X and a Y chromosome, I am of the male sex. If I have two X chromosomes, my sex is female. Even if I am Bruce "Call me Kate" Jenner, and I dress like a girl and think like a girl and walk like a girl and have my penis cut off, I have an X and a Y, I am of the male sex; but, the female gender.

and there are cultures that have non-binary interpretations of gender. We as a society have difficulty seperating biological/genetic sex from gender when the reality is that while they are closely related, they are not the same thing.

This_person

But why be fair. The cut scene does not refer to gender (even if this article does), Bill specifically says sex. Which shouldn't (and largely isn't) an issue.

Then why cut it? I think the chick said gender instead of sex. It's very common to use the words interchangeably. I used to do it until someone on here pointed out the difference, so I looked and determined they were correct and I try to correct myself and others as I can.

Midnightrider

If I may ...

Well now I know. Thanks for thanking the time to research it. Seems that X is a pretty important letter. ; )

if I may

you idiots should have paid more attention in school. this was covered in 7th grade science class, and probably health/sex ed too :yay: