Enterprise now charging for online viewing?

munacra

So the Enterprise is now charging to read the news from their website? Maybe they should make money from ad sales like everyone else? I'm not paying...

awpitt

Main Streeter
So the Enterprise is now charging to read the news from their website? Maybe they should make money from ad sales like everyone else? I'm not paying...

Not new. They've been charging for quite some time now.

Goldenhawk

That's not new. They've been doing that for a while now. I bailed on my paper subscription a few years ago when I realized I could get all their stories for free online... and then when they started the paywall I realized that even those stories were not really that important to me either. So it's been a couple years since I've bothered reading any of their content. The BayNet may not be the best website but they seem to run all the same stories, so I don't feel like I am missing out on local news.

OBTW.... if you're a little bit web-savvy, you can actually read all the supposedly paywall-blocked stories - just select "View source" and all the text is still there. Also, using the "inspect element" website developer tools in current desktop browsers, you can reveal the hidden content. It takes a bit of geekery. But it's still all there.

awpitt

Main Streeter
That's not new. They've been doing that for a while now. I bailed on my paper subscription a few years ago when I realized I could get all their stories for free online... and then when they started the paywall I realized that even those stories were not really that important to me either. So it's been a couple years since I've bothered reading any of their content. The BayNet may not be the best website but they seem to run all the same stories, so I don't feel like I am missing out on local news.

OBTW.... if you're a little bit web-savvy, you can actually read all the supposedly paywall-blocked stories - just select "View source" and all the text is still there. Also, using the "inspect element" website developer tools in current desktop browsers, you can reveal the hidden content. It takes a bit of geekery. But it's still all there.

Oh no...... You gave the secret away. Now they're going to patch the hole.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Save the view source as a word document and it is easier to read.

Oh no...... You gave the secret away. Now they're going to patch the hole.

munacra

Yeah they are just popping a semi transparent layer over the text is all.. :) I didn't think of doing that at the time. Thanks for the heads up.

Goldenhawk

Yeah they are just popping a semi transparent layer over the text is all.. :) I didn't think of doing that at the time. Thanks for the heads up.
Almost correct... they have a fade layer, yes, but they've also used view:none for the rest of the content. Both are trivial to undo if you know how to use the developer tools.

This is not unique to the Emptyprize. I've found the same simpleton technique used in numerous other paywall sites - including big-name ones everyone recognizes. They're counting on it working for most people - which it does.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Then you miss stories like this. /www.somdnews.com/enterprise/spotlight/family-goes-from-grief-to-advocacy/article_818e5ec4-2273-517d-a0e5-1af6aa67bf12.html

I have been friends with Ted for years and my heart breaks for them.

Goldenhawk

There's no doubt I miss stories. And no doubt I get fed a stream of sensationalism from the BayNet. But it's not worth the money they want.