Lasing Ships on Chesapeake Bay

Larry Gude

Strung Out
A little help. What's the danger here? I read the article but find it a bit of a stretch to think someone could actually hit the eyes of the folks on the bridge at distance. Maybe I simply don't understand the threat here but it sounds like, at worst, a minor annoyance. I mean, could the ships counter lase and be expected to impact the eyes of Gill...err...I mean, whomever was doing this?

:evil:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
At the ranges involved, the beam has widened to the extent that it scatters when hitting the glass on wheelhouse (or cockpit, if it's an aircraft). The resulting diffraction can be very disconcerting and an immediate and dangerous distraction. Hence why it's very illegal.

You can buy very powerful lasers right off eBay cheap these days too.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
At the ranges involved, the beam has widened to the extent that it scatters when hitting the glass on wheelhouse (or cockpit, if it's an aircraft). The resulting diffraction can be very disconcerting and an immediate and dangerous distraction. .

And you know this...how? :evil:

Hijinx

Well as a non expert on lasers. I believe that because so many weapons now have a laser sight these people are frightened that they are being targeted, much more than they are disturbed by the light.

PsyOps

Pixelated
A little help. What's the danger here? I read the article but find it a bit of a stretch to think someone could actually hit the eyes of the folks on the bridge at distance. Maybe I simply don't understand the threat here but it sounds like, at worst, a minor annoyance. I mean, could the ships counter lase and be expected to impact the eyes of Gill...err...I mean, whomever was doing this?

:evil:

My thought is - which is really a stretch - lasers are used for laser-guided munitions. Just as the likelihood laser guided surface-to-air missiles could be used to take down a plane, the same is true with boats. That is the 'perceived' threat. This is really just a bunch of kids getting their kicks with laser pointers.

Hijinx

My thought is - which is really a stretch - lasers are used for laser-guided munitions. Just as the likelihood laser guided surface-to-air missiles could be used to take down a plane, the same is true with boats. That is the 'perceived' threat. This is really just a bunch of kids getting their kicks with laser pointers.

I think I said that.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

Keep thinking. Laser designators (target acquisition) are not visible to the naked eye. Depending on wave length, you can see them with NVG, but the newer ones are at wave lengths that require SWIR cameras to see them.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Keep thinking. Laser designators (target acquisition) are not visible to the naked eye. Depending on wave length, you can see them with NVG, but the newer ones are at wave lengths that require SWIR cameras to see them.

Like i said, it was probably a couple of kids getting some kicks.