Spam/Scam/Telemarketing Calls

Grumpy

Over the past 2 weeks, I have seen a HUGE uptick on telemarketing calls on both my home phone and cell, been averaging 2 or 3 almost daily. I've blocked 21 numbers in the last 10 days. They have been from Car Warranty folks, Septic folks, Credit Advisory folks..etc..ALL of them start off with my name..ie "Grumpy?" I reply "Who is this?"..then they repeat my name and I ask 'who is this' back..Some of them hang up after the 2nd WhoIsThis.., some say this is so-and-so and start into a spiel. Lady an hour ago said she would call back after I asked for the 2nd time who is this. I've heard of the "Yes" game scammers play, so I never respond with my name, yes, no or anything but who is this. All of my numbers are on the national do not call list (verified all are there). I or my wife haven't signed up for anything over the past 6 months or so where we have given our number. Prior to 2 weeks ago, I had 15 blocked numbers on my cell from the last 10 years,.now I have close to 40. Anyone have an idea of why I may be getting all these calls now?

Goldenhawk

The Do Not Call list is ignored by companies that use callerID spoofing, knowing you can't trace them to report them. Very little incentive to honor it anymore.

Look into NoMoRoBo. Or get Ooma or some other VOIP service that uses the NoMoRoBo blocklist. I get one or two spam calls a MONTH now, if that.

And just stop answering the phone for numbers that are not on your whitelist. All you do is confirm that you're a valid target - so your phone number alone even makes money for those scum who sell lists to each other.

CRHS89

We've been getting a bunch of telemarketing calls with our prefix on our landline, so we answer thinking it is someone we know or a neighbor...Won't be answering now that we know it is a trick.

hitchicken

IMHO, the very act of picking up the phone when one doesn't recognize the number and there is no caller ID automatically puts you on the list of 'There's a live person on this number and he/she picks up the phone'. This is why people creating and selling these lists to marketers often have an auto-dial program that doesn't say anything when you pick up. They're selling the lists, nothing more. These lists are valuable to marketers because they don't have to waste the time of a live person calling numbers of people who don't pick up to sell their stuff. That costs money.

The best thing to do is not pick up the phone at all. This puts you on the list of 'marketeers, don't waste your time'... the best list to get on. PS: If the call IS important, they will leave a call-back number and message or they will call back a 2nd time. Go ahead and answer and lie, "I was in the shower". Auto-dialers won't quickly call back a 2nd time or leave a voice mail message with info.

The 2nd to worst list you can get onto is the one where you respond to the boiler room caller and engage in any conversation, good or bad. This gets you on an even more desirable list (and more profit for list creators) and you will start getting even more unwanted calls. Even if you insult them, they got you in the door... and conversing. That's worth something.

By far, the worst list to get on is the one generated when you buy their product or give money to the poor orphan babies of celebrities or whatever... they won't EVER leave you in peace.

4 lists: choose to be on the first one. Don't answer.

Last edited:
We've been getting a bunch of telemarketing calls with our prefix on our landline, so we answer thinking it is someone we know or a neighbor...Won't be answering now that we know it is a trick.
Same here, but on the cell using the Verizon cellular local MD area code and prefix the same as my own.
IMHO, the very act of picking up the phone when one doesn't recognize the number and there is no caller ID automatically puts you on the list of 'There's a live person on this number and he/she picks up the phone'. ... Don't answer.
I've been preaching that for years. If you do not know the calling number, do not answer it.

Grumpy

I get a lot of valid calls from other area codes that I may have the person on my contact list with their office number but not their cell, so I could ignore and let them leave a msg. Was talking to a friend an hour ago that said it may be tied up with the 'google docs' scam that appeared in the last month or so where a scammer gets access to people's contact lists in google mail. I have phone numbers/email addies in my google contacts, so I guess that is possible. I know I got a google doc's scam email 3 weeks ago with a spoofed email address of a govt contact from 5 years ago. I deleted the email but called the guy and he hasn't worked for that agency in 3 years.

I was mainly curious if anyone else had seen an uptick in scam calls. Think some of you are right that as soon as I answer, they mark it as a valid number and try again later regardless of any dialogue with me. Meanwhile I will change 'who is this?' to 'who the #### is this?"

I was mainly curious if anyone else had seen an uptick in scam calls. Think some of you are right that as soon as I answer, they mark it as a valid number and try again later regardless of any dialogue with me. Meanwhile I will change 'who is this?' to 'who the #### is this?"
To answer that.... not really. About the same number now as in the past on the home phone, maybe a couple a month more on cell.

Idunno

Watch your text messages also....I received a google doc link in a text message sent by an unknown number "from a trusted friend". Deleted.

PeoplesElbow

Some #### called me last night after 9PM, I asked her if she knew it was after 9PM and she told me that they call until 9:30. It was a damn survey on grocery shopping habits.

When I get an unexpected phone call after 9 usually I associate it with someone having died.

Grumpy

Some #### called me last night after 9PM, I asked her if she knew it was after 9PM and she told me that they call until 9:30. It was a damn survey on grocery shopping habits.

When I get an unexpected phone call after 9 usually I associate it with someone having died.

I got a call on home phone at 845pm last night for a survey..I always thought they couldn't call past 8pm. Like you, I get a feeling of dread when I receive a late phone call.

They are a minor irritant, only takes a second to hang up on them, but I really can't get over the nerve of some of them calling out my first name like we are long lost buds.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
I use HIYA on our cell phones (love it!) and keep my house phone on 'do not disturb' (Metrocrap option) unless I'm expecting a call.

BernieP

Resident PIA

I had one case where it was OUR number that was calling us.
I get calls on my cell phone from numbers that "look familiar". There are some people I work with who have my number but I've never put in my contacts. These calls come with the same area code and prefix as my number making me think it's someone I should know.

Oh, and they know how to scare people, "This card services or this is about your account..." phrases that make people wonder if there is a problem. I know better.

FettZilla

The thing is, Verizon doesn't have NomoRobo yet for my landline or cell service. I'm getting so tired of the calls as well.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Same here, but on the cell using the Verizon cellular local MD area code and prefix the same as my own.

I've been preaching that for years. If you do not know the calling number, do not answer it.
:yeahthat: If it's someone you know/who knows you that's calling they'll leave a message. :shrug: Just become a call screener. Sad that folks have to do that these days, but.....

Clem72

I had one case where it was OUR number that was calling us.
I get calls on my cell phone from numbers that "look familiar". There are some people I work with who have my number but I've never put in my contacts. These calls come with the same area code and prefix as my number making me think it's someone I should know.

Oh, and they know how to scare people, "This card services or this is about your account..." phrases that make people wonder if there is a problem. I know better.

Reminds me of the triple-a folks. Send me a card in the mail with my name, an account number, expiration, etc. I guess they figure I will be more inclined to sign up if I already have a card? In any case, works just as well for getting the AAA discount at hotels.

Goldenhawk

The thing is, Verizon doesn't have NomoRobo yet for my landline or cell service. I'm getting so tired of the calls as well.

For landline service, if you've got solid and reliable broadband, and for my money Metrocast IS solid and reliable, get rid of Verizon and get started with Ooma. A lot cheaper than Verizon, free long distance calling and plenty of nice added features, will pay for the converter box in about six to 12 months, and includes spam-call blocking based on NoMoRoBo. I get almost zero junk calls anymore.

For cell service, there is a NoMoRoBo app for iPhone and Android. Not free, but it's well worth a couple bucks a month to ditch all the junk calls.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Got a spam call over the weekend. It was from DirecTV. I picked up the phone and a recording said that it was DTV but all their operators were currently busy so please hold. Really? A telemarketer that automatically puts you on hold??? SMH.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Its been so bad on my cell lately that ive had to install a spam blocking app. It works fairly well and so the calls are automatically blocked, only a few stragglers get through. I was getting 3 or 4 a day. Mostly the auto warranty robocalls, occasionally student loan calls.

DEEKAYPEE8569

For landline service, if you've got solid and reliable broadband, and for my money Metrocast IS solid and reliable, get rid of Verizon and get started with Ooma. A lot cheaper than Verizon, free long distance calling and plenty of nice added features, will pay for the converter box in about six to 12 months, and includes spam-call blocking based on NoMoRoBo. I get almost zero junk calls anymore.

For cell service, there is a NoMoRoBo app for iPhone and Android. Not free, but it's well worth a couple bucks a month to ditch all the junk calls.
The only reason I still have Verizon.....well, Verizon Wireless, is because I can call my Brother and his bunch in TN and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.