ISO Information Cove Point and Gas lines in Calvert County

steppinthrax

I'm not to familiar with the whole cove point talk. But someone in the gym that I go to indicated the plan was to run Nat Gas lines throughout Calvert County. Is this correct?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Washington Gas Company has been trying to expand their existing infrastructure in to more rural areas including more of Calvert County.

Whoever you talked to apparently confused that with Dominion's new construction. Not directly related. Washington Gas has been around for a looooong time.

The initiative would target areas of Calvert County, which currently only has Washington Gas service in its central and southern portions.

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0216/gascompanylookstoexpandincounty.html

Last edited:

steppinthrax

Washington Gas Company has been trying to expand their existing infrastructure in to more rural areas including more of Calvert County.

Whoever you talked to apparently confused that with Dominion's new construction. Not directly related. Washington Gas has been around for a looooong time.

Thanks,

Ok, now I'm interested in the gas expansion. I'm about a few miles from Dunkirk town center. Most of those places have Nat gas right? What's the wait to run some down south?

officeguy

Thanks,

Interesting, I put my address down and it says "Gas may be available". I put in all my information. I guess they are going to quote me a price to run a gas line. I suspect it's going to be expensive :eek:

The utilities usually look for an entire neighborhood to hook up. They need X out of Y houses to sign up to make it worth their while.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Thanks,

Interesting, I put my address down and it says "Gas may be available". I put in all my information. I guess they are going to quote me a price to run a gas line. I suspect it's going to be expensive :eek:
Good luck! NG is what I'd be using if we could get it. That will never happen where we are now though.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Thanks,

Ok, now I'm interested in the gas expansion. I'm about a few miles from Dunkirk town center. Most of those places have Nat gas right? What's the wait to run some down south?

No they don't. Well not unless you count propane tanks.

This has been a pipe dream, as it were, for decades. Never going to happen.

So the answer is the same as the last time you asked.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
No they don't. Well not unless you count propane tanks.

This has been a pipe dream, as it were, for decades. Never going to happen.

Propane and NG are two very different things, of course.

Are you calling it a pipe dream because WashGas never received approval to expand?...or because you think they wouldn't expand even if they had approval to do so? That 2016 article suggested that WashGas was pretty keen on expanding their network.

steppinthrax

Are you calling it a pipe dream because WashGas never received approval to expand?...or because you think they wouldn't expand even if they had approval to do so? That 2016 article suggested that WashGas was pretty keen on expanding their network.

I saw the same article too.

It may take time. Yeah I can get a big propane tank out the house, but that dosen't work well for gas furnace etc...

steppinthrax

Propane costs roughly twice what NG does on an equivalent BTU basis. That's why it would be great to see access to NG expanded.

I would suspect so given the fact that you need a truck to come deliver it and the limitation you have with it. You'd only really run a stove/fireplace with it. You would not have enough capacity for a gas furnace!

black dog

Free America
I would suspect so given the fact that you need a truck to come deliver it and the limitation you have with it. You'd only really run a stove/fireplace with it. You would not have enough capacity for a gas furnace!

You can easily run a household on propane, you just run a larger line ( and sometimes up the psi ) from the tank to the house. I have a friend that runs a 3,000 sf colonial on propane, furnace,dryer,stove, outside grill and tankless hot water.

Not alot different from NG

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

I'm calling it a pipe dream because the time to do it was 30 years ago before the buildup. Now, unless they do a horizontal drill, roads and yards and all kind of infrastructure would need to be torn up. And replaced.

The cost to do so would make even the 1% living in Ferry Landing Woods blanch.

Wait until the State forces the County to put in water and sewer in Dunkirk. That's just over the horizon.

Clem72

You can easily run a household on propane, you just run a larger line ( and sometimes up the psi ) from the tank to the house. I have a friend that runs a 3,000 sf colonial on propane, furnace,dryer,stove, outside grill and tankless hot water.

I ran a 1600sqft house off of propane for 15 years. 300 gallon tank, which was regularly serviced so I am not sure exactly how much I used at any particular time, but I don't think my heating bill ever got over $60 in a month (in winter) when averaged. Course the house was single level and well insulated, which helped.

steppinthrax

Of course it's technically feasible, but tank capacity. Unless you have a large 500 - 1000 gallon tank, normal use of those appliances would be expensive. Many that I know in my neighborhood have a 120 gallon tank on the side of their house. That feeds into a fireplace and a stove. You start connecting this to a dryer, furnace, hot water heater, it's going to need to be refilled quick. Then you consider the cost per BTU of propane v.s. Nat Gas.

steppinthrax

I'm calling it a pipe dream because the time to do it was 30 years ago before the buildup. Now, unless they do a horizontal drill, roads and yards and all kind of infrastructure would need to be torn up. And replaced.

The cost to do so would make even the 1% living in Ferry Landing Woods blanch.

Wait until the State forces the County to put in water and sewer in Dunkirk. That's just over the horizon.

Explain the Ferry Landing Woods reference?

officeguy

If you use propane for heating, you are going to need a larger tank. Typical would be a 500gal in-ground. There are also limits on how much propane vapor you can pull per hour, so the small 100gal bottles can't feed a bigger generator or gas furnace. The pricing I receive for 'heating propane' is a bit better than if the the same tank was hooked up to a water-heater or range only.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I use propane as my back-up furnace in the winter.
I have a 250 gallon tank.
Also use it for the tankless water heater
Taylor gas.