Today i almost died

3CATSAILOR

Yesterday I wrote a Post in this forum about someone that went off the road. We assume it was from texting. Today I almost died. A car was coming head on against me in my lane. He was inches from me as he went by me when I went off the road taking evasive action. I could actually see him. And it was "unusually" up close, and became a bit on the personal side. And yeah, when you think you are going to die, you do see your life go through your head for the second or two when this happens. This guy was clearly on his cell phone. No need to assume this one. I called the police. Hopefully it did some good.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Good to hear you were not hurt. How did the trousers make out? :eyebrow:

I'll just put this out there. I have never seen so many brain dead people behind the wheel of a vehicle. Oblivious to what's going on around them. Scratch that, even people walking. Not just cell phones. Woman with two children on the younger side walking down the middle of the lane in the parking lot, playing with the kids, totally oblivious to me stopped in front of her. Then I get the doe in the headlights look.
Watched some lard ass walk out and cross the lane, but stops short of getting out of the road to talk on her cell phone.
Ok, stop for pedestrian crossing, but seriously, when they stop to talk on the phone you want to run them over.

Of course they could come fender to ass with some of the jerks that just zip on through the cross walks in parking lots - or just cross walks in general.

The answer is, they don't care, their #### don't stink, they're better than you, their vehicle is better, bigger, faster than yours
The world is their spitoon, and they spit on you.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yesterday I wrote a Post in this forum about someone that went off the road. We assume it was from texting. Today I almost died. A car was coming head on against me in my lane. He was inches from me as he went by me when I went off the road taking evasive action. I could actually see him. And it was "unusually" up close, and became a bit on the personal side. And yeah, when you think you are going to die, you do see your life go through your head for the second or two when this happens. This guy was clearly on his cell phone. No need to assume this one. I called the police. Hopefully it did some good.

Get a dash cam.. at least you have proof.. They won't do anything without proof. You might save a life.

I bought a high def dashcam on Amazon for less than $100.. continuously records (16 hours worth) and you can download any incident you may encounter.. auto saves when it detects an impact..

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Yay for defensive driving skills!

Bernie. Been downtown DC or Baltimore lately? Pedestrians: Taking about sh*t not stinking? Good god. And worse in certain parts if the city.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Yikes, 3CAT! Good driving on your part! Glad you are still with us!

Story. Something similar happened to me way back in 1989. No cell phone probs back then, but it was a cop. I was going up 118 from Darnestown to Germantown and rounded a curve and a cop was headed right toward me with lights and siren blazing. I jerked the wheel to the right and landed in the ditch up right, thank goodness. The cop never stopped to see if I was ok. :frown: Guess he had more important issues to attend to. I reported what happened, but got ..... crickets. I know how you felt today, and it is true about that 'flash' thing.

Last edited:

ginwoman

Good to hear you were not hurt. How did the trousers make out? :eyebrow:

I'll just put this out there. I have never seen so many brain dead people behind the wheel of a vehicle. Oblivious to what's going on around them. Scratch that, even people walking. Not just cell phones. Woman with two children on the younger side walking down the middle of the lane in the parking lot, playing with the kids, totally oblivious to me stopped in front of her. Then I get the doe in the headlights look.
Watched some lard ass walk out and cross the lane, but stops short of getting out of the road to talk on her cell phone.
Ok, stop for pedestrian crossing, but seriously, when they stop to talk on the phone you want to run them over.

Of course they could come fender to ass with some of the jerks that just zip on through the cross walks in parking lots - or just cross walks in general.

The answer is, they don't care, their #### don't stink, they're better than you, their vehicle is better, bigger, faster than yours
The world is their spitoon, and they spit on you.

You are right about all that. People are in their own little worlds with their cell phones.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Get a dash cam.. at least you have proof.. They won't do anything without proof. You might save a life.

I bought a high def dashcam on Amazon for less than $100.. continuously records (16 hours worth) and you can download any incident you may encounter.. auto saves when it detects an impact..

Hmmm.....and after all the crap I caught for talking about owning a dash cam. Not saying it was you itsbob; or just you. Just sayin'.....Glad things worked out 3CAT.

Glad it did not turn out badly. Been in the same situation, very sobering. Plus 1 for defensive awareness and driving.

I've been looking for one for the Slingshot. Got a make/model?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hopefully it did some good.

Me too, because you were paying attention and got lucky, and the next guy might not. Glad you were able to evade.

We have been all over the US and trust me, no one area seems to have the lock on idiot drivers. We have lost count of the near misses we've witnessed - it's amazing that there aren't more traffic injuries and fatalities than there are.

3CATSAILOR

That's really a darn good idea! Thanks!!!

3CATSAILOR

Me too, because you were paying attention and got lucky, and the next guy might not. Glad you were able to evade.

We have been all over the US and trust me, no one area seems to have the lock on idiot drivers. We have lost count of the near misses we've witnessed - it's amazing that there aren't more traffic injuries and fatalities than there are.

I was reading the stats yesterday which showed a spike in texting which started approximately 10 years ago. Since then, accidents have gone nearly straight up. You combine that with the lack of traffic enforcement, it sounds like to me that the drivers around here are screwed.

Kinnakeet

Glad it did not turn out badly. Been in the same situation, very sobering. Plus 1 for defensive awareness and driving.

I've been looking for one for the Slingshot. Got a make/model?

I hope you were a helmet when you drive that death trap and a camera will do you no good when you are in a head on with that thing.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
1067.jpg
Good to hear you were not hurt. How did the trousers make out?

Trousers made out okay much to my surprise. I was too busy saving my life to worry about crapping myself.

You probably would not have died. Crash fatality rates have been declining for decades. And crash rates have actually flattened the last 10-15 years.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Yeah, that. Thanks for pointing that out. I get tired of people posting about bad drivers in MD as if MD is the only place with bad drivers.

3CAT. Glad you're safe.

BernieP

Resident PIA
You are right about all that. People are in their own little worlds with their cell phones.
period
Add an item and it's merely an excuse. They are distracted because they frankly don't give a #### about anybody else, they have rights you know!

PsyOps

Pixelated

Is it any good at night? Much of my commute is at night.

glhs837

Power with Control
Is it any good at night? Much of my commute is at night.

Most of them do okay, could at least show who crossed centerline. Details like a plate, most likely not. Larry, they were in decline, right through I think 2009, then when people started driving again, the numbers came back up some. And a lot of the credit for that is the vehicles, keeping people alive through crashes that once would been sure death. People still crashing, just living through far more of them than they used to.

PsyOps

Pixelated
period
Add an item and it's merely an excuse. They are distracted because they frankly don't give a #### about anybody else, they have rights you know!

Heck, I was walking down the hallway at work one time and a guy was approaching me, fumbling with his cell phone, he kept walking toward my side of the hall. He nearly bumped into me. Never said "excuse me" or "sorry about that", he just kept walking without a care about anything but what he was doing. Next time I will likely just throw a hard shoulder at him and keep walking.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Heck, I was walking down the hallway at work one time and a guy was approaching me, fumbling with his cell phone, he kept walking toward my side of the hall. He nearly bumped into me. Never said "excuse me" or "sorry about that", he just kept walking without a care about anything but what he was doing. Next time I will likely just throw a hard shoulder at him and keep walking.

Life maxim #983,436: In every jazz musician there is a hockey player desperately trying to get out.