'Sanitizing History to Make You Feel Better Is a Bad Thing'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Condoleezza Rice on Removing Civil War Monuments: 'Sanitizing History to Make You Feel Better Is a Bad Thing'

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice stopped by “Fox & Friends” Monday morning to talk about her latest book, “Democracy: Stories from the Long Road to Freedom.” Part of that road, of course, involved slavery and the Civil War.

Co-host Brian Kilmeade came out of the gate strong:

"I want to talk about where your book starts, and that's our constitution [...] As an African-American woman, do you see yourself in this constitution?

Do you think that, when we look at nine of our first twelve presidents as slave owners, should we start taking their statues down and say, we’re embarrassed by you?”

In a word, “no,” said Rice.

"I am a firm believer in 'keep your history before you.' So I don't actually want to rename things that were named for slave owners. I want us to have to look at those names, and realize what they did, and be able to tell our kids what they did and for them to have a sense of their own history.”

PJumper

Condoleezza Rice on Removing Civil War Monuments: 'Sanitizing History to Make You Feel Better Is a Bad Thing'

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice stopped by “Fox & Friends” Monday morning to talk about her latest book, “Democracy: Stories from the Long Road to Freedom.” Part of that road, of course, involved slavery and the Civil War.

Co-host Brian Kilmeade came out of the gate strong:

"I want to talk about where your book starts, and that's our constitution [...] As an African-American woman, do you see yourself in this constitution?

Do you think that, when we look at nine of our first twelve presidents as slave owners, should we start taking their statues down and say, we’re embarrassed by you?”

In a word, “no,” said Rice.

"I am a firm believer in 'keep your history before you.' So I don't actually want to rename things that were named for slave owners. I want us to have to look at those names, and realize what they did, and be able to tell our kids what they did and for them to have a sense of their own history.”

So much respect for this woman. She should have run for the Presidency!