Study: Republicans Have WAY More Guns Than Democrats

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Study: Republicans Have WAY More Guns Than Democrats

Mark Joslyn and Don Haider-Markel studied the “gun gap” in America, analyzing the number of people of each party affiliation who actually own guns and how they’ve voted.

As the professors wrote in The Washington Post:

In 1976, 50 percent of Republicans, 48 percent of independents, and 45 percent of Democrats owned a gun. That changed in the 1980s and 1990s. By 2000, 30 percent of independents and only 27 percent of Democrats reported having a gun in the home. That drop continued among Democrats; by 2016, only 23 percent owned guns. Meanwhile, Republican gun ownership has stayed fairly constant. In 2012, 54 percent of Republicans owned guns. That’s nearly the same figure reported in 1973.

So there’s an obvious answer to the question as to why leftists want to reduce gun rights: they simply want everyone to be as vulnerable to the government as they are.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Bull####. All that study says is that 20% of D's now lie about having guns. They're saying what they're supposed to say.

Wishbone

Bull####. All that study says is that 20% of D's now lie about having guns. They're saying what they're supposed to say.

No.... Based on the office I work in, and the flow in and out of like minded Progs, I'm sure that few of them own firearms.

Any of the few that do, I'd not have much confidence in their knowledge of the care, feeding and exercising of them either.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No.... Based on the office I work in, and the flow in and out of like minded Progs, I'm sure that few of them own firearms.

Any of the few that do, I'd not have much confidence in their knowledge of the care, feeding and exercising of them either.

You're sure based on what? Them being among the 20% who lie about having a gun because they're terrified of not fitting the narrative they've chosen?

When dear old dad or gramps passes on and his old .38 and his shotgun and his 30-06 are on the list of things to get rid of, unregistered, no one knows they exist other than family, how many do you think ACTUALLY get rid of them? Or, "gee, well, if it's just a keep sake, I could have it in the closet..."

Come on, man.

Wishbone

When dear old dad or gramps passes on and his old .38 and his shotgun and his 30-06 are on the list of things to get rid of, unregistered, no one knows they exist other than family, how many do you think ACTUALLY get rid of them? Or, "gee, well, if it's just a keep sake, I could have it in the closet..."
Come on, man.
Which speaks to the lack of skill in care, feeding and mastery of.

black dog

Free America
You're sure based on what? Them being among the 20% who lie about having a gun because they're terrified of not fitting the narrative they've chosen?

Come on, man.

What is this registration that you speak of?

black dog

Free America
You further help make my point. D's got guns. They just won't, can't say so, at risk of social engagements.

I'll say this about Democrats owning guns, if I could write down that I know 100 Democrats, less than 10 that I know are gun owners.
And I would bet that half of those are grandpa's or Dad's old farm or war trophies and they have no idea how to use them if they even functioned or had ammunition for them.
And within the next generation or so of these Snowflakes they will be given away or sold off. TMHO.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Or taken as prize in the next civil conflict.

You guys, like most of us, and I do include myself, get stuck thinking in our little boxes. That's why I start or join many an argument around here; to challenge myself and my thinking. Diversity is survival in biology. That extends to us and our thinking.

One of the MOST liberal people I know, worked FOR Bernie's campaign, money where his mouth is guys, owns an AR and uses it in the most red neck of ways. On a family trip they just stopped somewhere, rural roadside, looked like a good place for some family plinking. I missed this trip but, all told there was the AR, a shotgun and a coupe handguns. He shoots at rabbits with the thing like it's a scatter gun.

Now, granted, he lives on neither coast but he and his circle (except for me, I'm HIS diversity) are the most pink hat, lefty progbot anti Trump, despise pretty much ALL R's people you'd ever find.

Don't take people's word at things that don't make sense. Coast lefties may not have many guns in their possession but they damn sure love their security guys. Guns are CENTRAL to classic liberalism (no true liberal would EVER accept ONLY the cops being armed) and modern 'liberals' are totalitarians at heart and they KNOW that means power and that means guns.