Why James Comey had to go

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Why James Comey had to go

The suddenly former FBI boss was long cavalier about making enemies among both Democrats and Republicans, as if going rogue repeatedly proved his rectitude. On occasion it did, but Comey increasingly wore his self-righteousness on his sleeve, confident he was too big to fire.

That was his fatal mistake. And it’s why Trump made the right decision to show him the door.

Comey’s power-grabbing arrogance is why I called him “J. Edgar Comey” two months ago. His willingness to play politics, while insisting he was above it all, smacked of Washington at its worst. He was the keeper of secrets, until they served his purpose.

As such, the president did to Comey what no president had the courage to do to J. Edgar Hoover. Five presidents wanted to fire Hoover, with Harry Truman accusing him of running a police state and of blackmail. But all were afraid of Hoover, so he died in office.

Trump acted before Comey could get that kind of lifetime protection, which has no place in American democracy. At our best, we are a nation of laws, not of people who accumulate power and ruthlessly wield it without accountability.

Comey’s Deserved Dismissal
The FBI chief forfeited his credibility with his 2016 interventions.

Mr. Trump sacked Mr. Comey on the advice of Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, a former U.S. Attorney with a straight-up-the-middle reputation who was only recently confirmed by the Senate. In a memo to Attorney General Jeff Sessions, Mr. Rosenstein cited Mr. Comey’s multiple breaches of Justice Department protocol in his criminal investigation of Hillary Clinton’s mishandling of classified material.

The FBI isn’t supposed even to confirm or deny ongoing investigations, but in July 2016 Mr. Comey publicly exonerated Mrs. Clinton in the probe of her private email server on his own legal judgment and political afflatus. That should have been the AG’s responsibility, and Loretta Lynch had never recused herself.

“It is not the function of the Director to make such an announcement,” Mr. Rosenstein wrote. “The Director now defends his decision by asserting that he believed Attorney General Loretta Lynch had a conflict. But the FBI Director is never empowered to supplant federal prosecutors and assume command of the Justice Department.”

Mr. Rosenstein added that at his July 5 press appearance Mr. Comey “laid out his version of the facts for the news media as if it were a closing argument, but without a trial. It is a textbook example of what federal prosecutors and agents are taught not to do.”

Then, 11 days before the election, Mr. Comey told Congress he had reopened the inquiry. His public appearances since have become a self-exoneration tour to defend his job and political standing, not least to Democrats who blame a “Comey effect” for Mrs. Clinton’s defeat. Last week Mr. Comey dropped more innuendo about the Trump campaign’s alleged ties to Russia in testimony to Congress, while also exaggerating the new evidence that led his agents to reopen the Clinton file.

Chris0nllyn

Second paragraph of Rosenstein's letter to Trump says "I cannot defend the Director's handling of the conclusion of the investigation of Secretary Clinton's emails, and I do not understand his refusal to accept the nearly universal judgement that he was mistaken."
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3711116/White-House-Fires-James-Comey.pdf

Yet Sessions said "He had an absolute duty, in my opinion, 11 days or not, to come forward with the new information that he has and let the American people know that."

Less than a year ago Sessions praised Comey for making that decision (doing the press conference after finding more evidence), now he believes they are terms for dismissal? I imagine none of this stands out as a little weird or strange to Trump supporters?

Hijinx

Second paragraph of Rosenstein's letter to Trump says "I cannot defend the Director's handling of the conclusion of the investigation of Secretary Clinton's emails, and I do not understand his refusal to accept the nearly universal judgement that he was mistaken."
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3711116/White-House-Fires-James-Comey.pdf

Yet Sessions said "He had an absolute duty, in my opinion, 11 days or not, to come forward with the new information that he has and let the American people know that."

Less than a year ago Sessions praised Comey for making that decision (doing the press conference after finding more evidence), now he believes they are terms for dismissal? I imagine none of this stands out as a little weird or strange to Trump supporters?

No more weird than when Chuck The Schmuck said Comey should be fired and then changed his mind when Trump fired him.

This_person

It would certainly stand out as odd to me if Sessions wrote the letter. Sessions didn't. A good leader - one who is truly impartial - MUST let his subordinates rise and fall with their decisions so long as their falling does not damage the whole. We do not NEED, as a nation, to have Comey at the FBI. That HAS to be Rosenstein's decision.

Chris0nllyn

It would certainly stand out as odd to me if Sessions wrote the letter. Sessions didn't. A good leader - one who is truly impartial - MUST let his subordinates rise and fall with their decisions so long as their falling does not damage the whole. We do not NEED, as a nation, to have Comey at the FBI. That HAS to be Rosenstein's decision.

Yea, I'm sure Rosenstein, who's been in his position for a whole 15 days, was the only person to add info to that letter. I'm also sure Sessions had nothing to do with the decision. Rosenstein wrote the letter to Sessions. The buck stops with Sessions. The Attorney General, not the Deputy Attorney General.

Don't mind the fact that Comey, regardless of your feelings if he should be in office or not, asked for a "significant increase" in resources to investigate Russian ties to the election and was fired days later with no warning or even a face to face meeting. Yet I'm supposed to believe his firing was due to his actions from almost a year ago? That the Trump administration thought his actions were so bad, he deserved to be fired the way he was, but not bad enough to warrant firing when Trump got into office.

Who knows what really happened, and Trump has every right to do what he did. But we know that Comey was fired on the spot for his actions a year ago, to which Sessions and Trump praised at the time, days after asking for more resources to look into the Russian interference in the election.

This_person

Yea, I'm sure Rosenstein, who's been in his position for a whole 15 days, was the only person to add info to that letter. I'm also sure Sessions had nothing to do with the decision. Rosenstein wrote the letter to Sessions. The buck stops with Sessions. The Attorney General, not the Deputy Attorney General.

Don't mind the fact that Comey, regardless of your feelings if he should be in office or not, asked for a "significant increase" in resources to investigate Russian ties to the election and was fired days later with no warning or even a face to face meeting. Yet I'm supposed to believe his firing was due to his actions from almost a year ago? That the Trump administration thought his actions were so bad, he deserved to be fired the way he was, but not bad enough to warrant firing when Trump got into office.

Who knows what really happened, and Trump has every right to do what he did. But we know that Comey was fired on the spot for his actions a year ago, to which Sessions and Trump praised at the time, days after asking for more resources to look into the Russian interference in the election.

He wasn't fired for just those actions then. He was fired for inability to lead the FBI. I'm not sure, but I would bet there is more than the investigation into something no one with sense believes (that Russia influenced our election results) going on at the FBI. Maybe it was his piss-poor performance in front of Congress just days ago?

Chris0nllyn

He wasn't fired for just those actions then. He was fired for inability to lead the FBI. I'm not sure, but I would bet there is more than the investigation into something no one with sense believes (that Russia influenced our election results) going on at the FBI. Maybe it was his piss-poor performance in front of Congress just days ago?

The second paragraph literally talks about how bad of a job Comey did with the Clinton e-mail probe. The last paragraph only mentions the email thing.

The letter from both Sessions and Rosenstein are dated the same day as Trump's letter to Comey.

I'm not saying Comey was good at his job, ro should have kept it. I just think the timing and questions surrounding his firing are a bit coincidental.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

I'm not saying Comey was good at his job, ro should have kept it. I just think the timing and questions surrounding his firing are a bit coincidental.

So you ARE saying that EVEN IF something is WRONG and has to change.... DON'T beause the optics aren't good.

Cool.

This_person

The second paragraph literally talks about how bad of a job Comey did with the Clinton e-mail probe. The last paragraph only mentions the email thing.

The letter from both Sessions and Rosenstein are dated the same day as Trump's letter to Comey.

Comey helped and hurt Trump. Virtually everyone in the know is on record as saying there is no connection between Trump and the Russians, let alone the Russians and the outcome of the election. What could Trump possibly be trying to protect himself from?

I get questioning government, questioning authority. I appreciate it, and think it should be done. But, there just doesn't seem to be any "there" there in this case. Comey NEVER should have said that he recommended no action on Clinton - that was the AG's job to decide, not his. Comey NEVER should have come out and said, "Oh, by the way, looking at more stuff now". Most everything Comey did with respect to Clinton's emails was inappropriate in terms of him speaking about it in public. His troops had no faith in him, and had no reason to have any faith in him. A new guy came in as his boss, and said, "you gotta go." Trump, the deciderer, said (literally), "I concur."

It's really really plausible, and the counter isn't.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
What question?

Based on the structure and lack of question mark, I assumed you were making an assumption.

One I was hoping you would deny.

But if how something appears has more fundamental importance to you, so be it.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Comey should be grateful to Trump.

If Hillary had won, she'd have had him killed.

Hijinx

Comey should be grateful to Trump.

If Hillary had won, she'd have had him killed.

There is no doubt in my mind that Comey bent with the Obama wind when he didn't recommend prosecution for Hillary.
It was shameful when he told us of all the things she was guilty of , and then stated that no prosecutor would prosecute her.
In other words he did what he was told to do.

He could have told the media and the Demmys that there was no case against Trump, That it was BS,
but he didn't, he kept the illusion alive for the Demmy's that there was an investigation.

He needed firing , and he got what he needed, end of story.