Coup

This_person

I've seen people say this firing of Comey is a "coup".

“I think the question you also have to ask [is] was this a coup or a firing? Or both? Because it seems to me that there was a lot of consultation here.” - Gloria Borger

New York’s Daily News, which detests Trump, ran a front-page headline calling it a “coup.”

A McClatchy news story was headlined, “Trump Takes a Dictator’s Stand Against Inquiry.”

The Atlantic’s David Frum, a former Bush speechwriter, tweeted that it was a “coup against the FBI.”

While this is clearly not a coup against the FBI (Trump is already in power over it, how could it be a coup?), I do think their scare tactics actually have some merit.

Stupid, you may think. But, against whom is it actually a coup? The ESTABLISHMENT! Trump is pissing them off by firing an establishment guy that at least some thought was controllable. They're scared as hell at who he'll nominate (heard a great recommendation this morning - Judge Garland).

What do you think? Is this a coup against establishment control of DC? (TJ, don't bother to answer because you won't answer questions from me in any other thread, so I don't really care what your opinion is on this one).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This whole thing is dishearteningly stupid and it's dismaying how many stupid people are falling for it. Just when I thought my Lefty FB friends couldn't get any more ignorant and brainwashed, they take up this cry.

Because here's the thing:

I have never dumped a friend because of political ideology. I'm good with differing viewpoints and enjoy hearing what people think. What I will dump them for is when they reveal themselves to be angry, mindless, hysterical dumbasses. Those people are dangerous and destructive, and I don't want them around me.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
there was no coup .... FBI director serves at the pleasure of the President

coup
ko͞o/
noun
noun: coup; plural noun: coups; noun: coup d'état; plural noun: coups d'état; plural noun: coup d'états

1. a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government. "he was overthrown in an army coup"
synonyms: seizure of power, coup d'état, putsch, overthrow, takeover, deposition; More revolution, palace revolution, rebellion, revolt, insurrection, mutiny, insurgence, uprising "a violent military coup"

2. a notable or successful stroke or move. "it was a major coup to get such a prestigious contract"

synonyms: success, triumph, feat, accomplishment, achievement, scoop, master stroke, stroke of genius "a major publishing coup" an unusual or unexpected but successful tactic in card play.

3. a contusion caused by contact of the brain with the skull at the point of trauma.

4. historical
(among North American Indians) an act of touching an armed enemy in battle as a deed of bravery, or an act of first touching an item of the enemy's in order to claim it.

tommyjo

I've seen people say this firing of Comey is a "coup".

While this is clearly not a coup against the FBI (Trump is already in power over it, how could it be a coup?), I do think their scare tactics actually have some merit.

Stupid, you may think. But, against whom is it actually a coup? The ESTABLISHMENT! Trump is pissing them off by firing an establishment guy that at least some thought was controllable. They're scared as hell at who he'll nominate (heard a great recommendation this morning - Judge Garland).

What do you think? Is this a coup against establishment control of DC? (TJ, don't bother to answer because you won't answer questions from me in any other thread, so I don't really care what your opinion is on this one).

Hi dumbass...

Your question is just as stupid as the majority of your posts...

Maybe you should read GURP's post...helps if you understand the definition of a word before you use it...neither you nor the people you are railing against do in this case.

Moron...

This_person

there was no coup .... FBI director serves at the pleasure of the President

coup
ko͞o/
noun
noun: coup; plural noun: coups; noun: coup d'état; plural noun: coups d'état; plural noun: coup d'états

1. a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government. "he was overthrown in an army coup"
synonyms: seizure of power, coup d'état, putsch, overthrow, takeover, deposition; More revolution, palace revolution, rebellion, revolt, insurrection, mutiny, insurgence, uprising "a violent military coup"

2. a notable or successful stroke or move. "it was a major coup to get such a prestigious contract"

synonyms: success, triumph, feat, accomplishment, achievement, scoop, master stroke, stroke of genius "a major publishing coup" an unusual or unexpected but successful tactic in card play.

3. a contusion caused by contact of the brain with the skull at the point of trauma.

4. historical
(among North American Indians) an act of touching an armed enemy in battle as a deed of bravery, or an act of first touching an item of the enemy's in order to claim it.

Ok, but my assertion is that the power structure of the government in this case is being held by the establishment. Challenge the establishment, and you challenge THEIR authority - a thinly-veiled coup that already occurred by consensus of the governing bodies' individuals.

In this meaning, Trump already conducted a coup by taking the presidency when the establishment totally expected Clinton (a strong member of said establishment) to win. With her loss to a guy outside of the establishment, they still have 1/3 of the government (I will leave out SCOTUS for now) and a great number of high positions in the administration. By removing one of their high-ranking administration members (like Yates, and now Comey) Trump is challenging their hold on overall power.

Maybe I'm overthinking it..... :ohwell:

philibusters

Trump was within his rights to fire Comey, but at the same time of course the media is going to go crazy when Trump fires Comey a few weeks after Comey asks for money for the Russian investigation.

Hypothetically, if Clinton fired the person investigating Whitewater after that person made clear they were going to investigate Clinton it would have been a huge deal. Likewise if Obama decided to fire the person handling the investigation of the IRS scandal over targeting conservative organizations.

There were legitimate reasons to fire Comey, but I cannot feel that sorry for Trump if he doesn't have the political acumen to know that firing Comey almost immediately after he requests funds to investigate Trump's Russian connections is going to cause a scandal.

Grumpy

There were legitimate reasons to fire Comey, but I cannot feel that sorry for Trump if he doesn't have the political acumen to know that firing Comey almost immediately after he requests funds to investigate Trump's Russian connections is going to cause a scandal.

Why are the DOJ and Acting FBI Director McCabe saying that Comey didn't ask for funding for the Russian thing?

philibusters

Why are the DOJ and Acting FBI Director McCabe saying that Comey didn't ask for funding for the Russian thing?

I was not aware they were denying it. The good news is we should know pretty soon more about the alleged requests because their seems to be a bi-partisan consensus in Congress to seek further information about the requests including whether they did or did not happen.

Hijinx

The Russian thing is a farce. Anybody with a brain knows that.
The media is playing to the idiots we know that too.

People who supported Trump don't have a problem with him firing Comey. In Fact last week the demmy's wanted him fired.
People who listen to what the media has to say need to get a brain transplant, the one they have isn't hitting on much./

PsyOps

Pixelated
This whole thing is dishearteningly stupid and it's dismaying how many stupid people are falling for it. Just when I thought my Lefty FB friends couldn't get any more ignorant and brainwashed, they take up this cry.

Their hatred for Trump

They want it to be true.

All logic and honesty dissipates.

:shrug:

acommondisaster

Because here's the thing:

I have never dumped a friend because of political ideology. I'm good with differing viewpoints and enjoy hearing what people think. What I will dump them for is when they reveal themselves to be angry, mindless, hysterical dumbasses. Those people are dangerous and destructive, and I don't want them around me.

Same. I've been dumped and blocked for being conservative, but I've never gone any further than unfollowing someone. I figured everyone has their own point of view - but lately, I'm tempted to get rid of some of these for good, for the reasons you mentioned. I have always thought I could learn something from everyone, but I have no desire to learn hatred.

Hijinx

Same. I've been dumped and blocked for being conservative, but I've never gone any further than unfollowing someone. I figured everyone has their own point of view - but lately, I'm tempted to get rid of some of these for good, for the reasons you mentioned. I have always thought I could learn something from everyone, but I have no desire to learn hatred.

I think most of them are pretty good people with political brain lock.
They absolutely refuse to inform themselves of the truth, ot they cannot believe what they see.

littlelady

God bless the USA

It is funny about the FB thing which I have never done. My only social media has been this forum. We just moved to Montgomery County. :jet: But, we moved to an established neighborhood that has been around since the 60's. All our neighbors bought here, raised their children, and chose to stay in retirement. They are all the best neighbors ever, welcomed us, and are total lib progs; one is an SS guy. But, we love them. Go figure! I don't try to figure, anymore, I just go. :lol:

Last edited:

philibusters

The Russian thing is a farce. Anybody with a brain knows that.
The media is playing to the idiots we know that too.

I don't understand why its a farce. We know Russia interefered in the election... "The Office of the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) jointly stated that Russia hacked the Democratic National Committee (DNC) servers and Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta's personal email account and leaked their documents to WikiLeaks" and "In January 2017, a U.S. intelligence community assessment expressed "high confidence" that Russia favored Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton, and that Russian President Vladimir Putin personally ordered an "influence campaign" to denigrate and harm Clinton's electoral chances and potential presidency." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_interference_in_the_2016_United_States_elections

That is not to say Trump's campaign worked with the Russians, but it did happen and the issue should be investigated. Imagine if the shoe were on the other foot and Hillary won the election due to the interference of say Mexico who opposed Trump due to his immigration policies. You guys would be screaming mad.

People who supported Trump don't have a problem with him firing Comey. In Fact last week the demmy's wanted him fired.
People who listen to what the media has to say need to get a brain transplant, the one they have isn't hitting on much.

The heart of the matter is that the Democrats are not worried so much about Comey, but rather the investigation in the Russian interference. The fear is that since Trumps get to pick the next FBI director he'll simply pick somebody who has their loyalty to him the same way conservatives are angry that Loretta Lynch was in charge of deciding whether to prosecute Hillary. At this point the shoe is on the other foot. Whereas last fall the Republicans were worried about a whitewash, now its the Democrats.

To me, all these situations look bad. I am more moderate and less partisan than they person who follows politics. Until there is evidence that Trump was connected with the Russian interference I am not going to freak out. If he didn't have involvement its like fan interference at a baseball game. It may cause one team a run, but the team that benefits is not at fault. And so far there really is no evidence that the campaign had any Russian connections. There is evidence Trump did a poor job vetting Flynn, but not that he contacted Russia regarding the campaign. He did omit information on his security clearance application and he did talk to Russia after the election about the Obama administrations, both mistakes on his part, but neither go to Trump in my opinion.

So the Russian interference is serious and should be investigated, but people should freak out until their evidence Trump was involved.

/

See my comments bolded above

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
To me, all these situations look bad. I am more moderate and less partisan than they person who follows politics. Until there is evidence that Trump was connected with the Russian interference I am not going to freak out. If he didn't have involvement its like fan interference at a baseball game.

:yay:

I have see NO Proof Russians did any 'Hacking' and provided anything to Wiki-Leaks ....
WL even stated their information was an inside DNC Leak ....

[in response to the 1st part not quoted] and if you REALLY Think the GRU or FSB would be clueless enough to 'hack' anyone from Lubyanka Building in Moscow well I don't know what to say *

*[claims are 'hacking' came from Russian IP Addresses]

Last edited:

This_person

I don't understand why its a farce. We know Russia interfered in the election...

How? You state that wikipedia says the intelligence community has high confidence in Russia favoring Trump, and that they leaked hacked information from e-mails to wikileaks. Wikileaks says they did not. When you dig into WHY they had high confidence, it boils down to gut feel and a couple of implied or assumed reactions. Why would Wikileaks lie? Why would the intelligence community lie?

But, let's assume they hacked and leaked to Wikileaks. Your assertion here is that - by telling us truthful things we otherwise would not have known, the Russians influenced the election. Read that again - by revealing the truth about a candidate, we might have chosen not to vote for her. Transparency is interference? Really?

Is there a poll that says Hillary won the popular vote because of this? I mean, if they influenced, surely their influence mattered, right? So much so that more of the people who voted voted FOR Clinton than against her. Is that the charge here? Or, is it simply the $Millions she personally gained from the uranium deal with the Russians (and Podesta, too)? Was THAT the influence? How about the $500,000 speech Clinton's husband gave in Russia, was that the influence?

Democrats are not worried so much about Comey, but rather the investigation in the Russian interference.

Do Democrats seriously think Comey was personally conducting the investigation? Or, that the House, Senate, and other intelligence agencies' investigations are ALL corrupt, and ONLY the FBI investigation matters, and that somehow this will chill the FBI investigators who are investigating?

None of these things actually make sense. The Democrats are bitching because Trump did something surprising. In my opinion, they're all pissed because a member of the establishment government is no longer there in a key position.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But, let's assume they hacked and leaked to Wikileaks. Your assertion here is that - by telling us truthful things we otherwise would not have known, the Russians influenced the election. Read that again - by revealing the truth about a candidate, we might have chosen not to vote for her. Transparency is interference? Really?

Is there a poll that says Hillary won the popular vote because of this? I mean, if they influenced, surely their influence mattered, right? So much so that more of the people who voted voted FOR Clinton than against her. Is that the charge here?

it was rumored at one time Putin had it out for Hillary for her interference in Russian Elections ....