Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Tire in California

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Well, any motor that breaks off three plugs has issues,.
    I always thought or heard that it was the plug design, some called it a 2-part plug. Never knew of anyone having an issue once they replaced the original plugs with a different manufacturer's plug.

Well, any motor that breaks off three plugs has issues, even with a special tool, that's some BS. And if you turn this job over to a pro, and he quotes you as if none break, and they all do, you are screwed. So I see both sides. By now, the pros are all aware of it and can pretty much get it done without issues, but no reason not to quote high.
    Broken plugs usually comes from making them "grunt" when you put them in. I was taught, 'just snug' is sufficient for plug installs; 'just snug' being, say, 1/8 to 1/4 turn +- once the washer seats in the hole. No need to "lean on" a plug to tighten it.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I always thought or heard that it was the plug design, some called it a 2-part plug. Never knew of anyone having an issue once they replaced the original plugs with a different manufacturer's plug.
    The term '2-part plug' might refer to the terminal nut, which can be left on, or removed, depending on what type of spark plug wire boot is used.
    Some applications require the terminal nut; some don't.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

Quote Originally Posted by DEEKAYPEE8569 View Post
    Broken plugs usually comes from making them "grunt" when you put them in. I was taught, 'just snug' is sufficient for plug installs; 'just snug' being, say, 1/8 to 1/4 turn +- once the washer seats in the hole. No need to "lean on" a plug to tighten it.

From what I know it was the factory plugs, and past that, even replacements of the factory design would do this. And yes, snug is right. Were I to put a torque value onit, I would guess maybe 15-20 foot lbs tops.
    "I aim to misbehave."

The term '2-part plug' might refer to the terminal nut, which can be left on, or removed, depending on what type of spark plug wire boot is used.
    Some applications require the terminal nut; some don't.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/120
    "I aim to misbehave."

From what I know it was the factory plugs, and past that, even replacements of the factory design would do this. And yes, snug is right. Were I to put a torque value onit, I would guess maybe 15-20 foot lbs tops.
    Less torque than it takes to get up from Thanksgiving dinner. Yeah, I get it. I can torque wheel lugs without a torque wrench, but I use one to check anyway......but we're talkin' 'bout plugs. I would think those would be torqued in inch lbs. but, that involves me.....thinking, so.....

:timtaylorgruntofrealization: So, this is like those Diamond Fire plugs?? Still.....they shouldn't have to be but SO tight.

This is looking more and more like it needs to be moved to "The Ride."
    Last edited by DEEKAYPEE8569; 05-12-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Less torque than it takes to get up from Thanksgiving dinner. Yeah, I get it. I can torque wheel lugs without a torque wrench, but I use one to check anyway......but we're talkin' 'bout plugs. I would think those would be torqued in inch lbs. but, that involves me.....thinking, so.....

http://www.autolite.com/media/11853/torquespecs.pdf

As to the Ford plugs, that particular problem has nothing to do with torque of the threaded section, but that lower piece, which most plugs do not have, bonding with the well it's in. Like a brake rotor boding with the hub.
    "I aim to misbehave."

but that lower piece, which most plugs do not have, bonding with the well it's in. Like a brake rotor boding with the hub.
    Exactly

http://www.autolite.com/media/11853/torquespecs.pdf

As to the Ford plugs, that particular problem has nothing to do with torque of the threaded section, but that lower piece, which most plugs do not have, bonding with the well it's in. Like a brake rotor boding with the hub.
    So, it bonds to the well because it's made of a different metal than the well. Well.....hmmm.....and a BFH won't work, I guess.

Members who have read this thread: 1