Ex-congresswoman convicted of conspiracy, mail and wire fraud, tax fraud

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Corrine Brown found guilty on 18 charges
Ex-congresswoman convicted of conspiracy, mail and wire fraud, tax fraud

Brown, who listened in stunned silence as the verdicts were read, was convicted of conspiracy, five counts of mail fraud, seven counts of wire fraud, one count of scheme to conceal material facts, one count of obstruction of IRS laws and three tax fraud charges. She was found not guilty of two mail fraud counts and two wire fraud counts.
More Corrine Brown Headlines

Following about 11 hours of deliberations after the jury was reconfigured Wednesday morning, Judge Timothy Corrigan announced that the jury had reached verdicts in the case.

When she heard the verdicts were in, Brown left the courtroom briefly and returned with tissues, appearing as if she had been crying. She remained silent and did not react as the verdicts were read. Her daughter could be seen crying in the courtroom.

SamSpade

I've seen a little about this - while it pisses me off to see a public official stuffing money into their pocket - I can also see that if you have some unscrupulous persons on staff moving money around indiscriminately - you can easily be on the hook for something you know nothing about.

When one of my best friends - who lets his wife handle virtually every nickel of their finances - shrugs and says he has no idea how much this or that costs for his family - I can scowl and say, buddy, that's YOUR fault. You ought to know.
But I think it's easy to not know where all the campaign money comes and goes.

On the other hand - this was a lot of damned money.

glhs837

Power with Control
I've seen a little about this - while it pisses me off to see a public official stuffing money into their pocket - I can also see that if you have some unscrupulous persons on staff moving money around indiscriminately - you can easily be on the hook for something you know nothing about.

When one of my best friends - who lets his wife handle virtually every nickel of their finances - shrugs and says he has no idea how much this or that costs for his family - I can scowl and say, buddy, that's YOUR fault. You ought to know.
But I think it's easy to not know where all the campaign money comes and goes.

On the other hand - this was a lot of damned money.

Sure doesn't sound like staffers.....

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/...esses-accounts-dealings-corrine-brown-similar

Hijinx

Wow. Just wow.

No matter where these people thought the money was going, they were actually paying for access to this Congresswoman.

Anything else is BS, and I would make a wager that she isn't the only one to have done this.

SamSpade

There has to be a way to pull money out of the political picture. I don't know the answer, but I'm disgusted with the fact that some pols have to spend half their time raising money instead of just doing their job.

Hijinx

There has to be a way to pull money out of the political picture. I don't know the answer, but I'm disgusted with the fact that some pols have to spend half their time raising money instead of just doing their job.

We pay them a pretty good salary, around $172,000 a year, that aint hay
They don't have to spend half their time raising money they choose to.

Some obviously do it for their own enrichment, others do it to have a fund for the next election.
Some use it to bribe others in the House or Senate when they are running.
There are all sorts of reasons not so many who are acting out of the goodness of their hearts.

Nobody spends the money these characters do to get elected, to get that $172,000
Most come out in pretty good shape as they get to keep left over campaign funds.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
We pay them a pretty good salary, around $172,000 a year, that aint hay

Nobody spends the money these characters do to get elected, to get that $172,000
Most come out in pretty good shape as they get to keep left over campaign funds.

But the money Sam is talking about is the money that each congresscritter has to raise to get into Congress in the first place, and then continually to stay in during the next election cycle. They're not on the phones and doing rubber chicken dinners for the $172K. It's the millions needed to stay in the race and then win it.

officeguy

But the money Sam is talking about is the money that each congresscritter has to raise to get into Congress in the first place, and then continually to stay in during the next election cycle. They're not on the phones and doing rubber chicken dinners for the $172K. It's the millions needed to stay in the race and then win it.

Brown had one of the voting rights act guaranteed minority seats. No challengers at the primary level. She just figured out that you can make this job pay off personally.