Deuteronomy Leadership

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 1:9 At that time I said to you, “You are too heavy a burden for me to carry alone. 10 The Lord your God has increased your numbers so that today you are as numerous as the stars in the sky. 11 May the Lord, the God of your ancestors, increase you a thousand times and bless you as he has promised! 12 But how can I bear your problems and your burdens and your disputes all by myself? 13 Choose some wise, understanding and respected men from each of your tribes, and I will set them over you.”

14 You answered me, “What you propose to do is good.”

15 So I took the leading men of your tribes, wise and respected men, and appointed them to have authority over you—as commanders of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties and of tens and as tribal officials. 16 And I charged your judges at that time, “Hear the disputes between your people and judge fairly, whether the case is between two Israelites or between an Israelite and a foreigner residing among you. 17 Do not show partiality in judging; hear both small and great alike. Do not be afraid of anyone, for judgment belongs to God. Bring me any case too hard for you, and I will hear it.” 18 And at that time I told you everything you were to do.​

It occurred to me that I might want to take another look at who, where, and what is going on.

Who.... I need to remember that the majority of the young men here weren't around when Moses's staff turned into a snake. Most of them don't remember when the plagues were issued by God. Most of them don't remember that horrific Passover night. They don't remember walking through the river bed on dry land or seeing the Egyptian Army destroyed while in pursuit of them. They don't remember the first war the Israelites won because someone held Moses's arms up in the air. They don't remember that while Moses held the staff high, Joshua's army was doing good but when the staff was lowered, the troops began to have a harder time. These young men probably don't remember any of that because it was at least 38 years ago. The majority of these young men had never killed anyone.

The emphasis their whole lives had been the sanctity of life. These men had never studied war. These men had never known the sting of an Egyptian Taskmaster's whip. These men needed a history lesson. How many of our young people don't remember September 11, 2001 first hand? That was only sixteen years ago. Now these young people were going to go to war.

So this is a review.... Part one.... these young men would need to depend on their leaders.... this is a theocracy not a democracy.... so they didn't choose these leaders...... God would choose over and over again... it had to go through God.

I found this at a site called bibleteachingnotes.com.

Looking back can give us the confidence to move forward. Moses' first message to the people was filled with historical references to the acts of God on behalf of the Israelites. Moses reviewed the history of the Israelites in the hope that they would not repeat the errors of the past nor forget the faithful way in which God had dealt with them. A review of the past faithfulness of God should result in gratitude, devotion, and obedience to God in the present. Those who remember the faithfulness of God yesterday can face tomorrow with the assurance that He will remain faithful.

The background for these verses is found in Exodus 18:13-27. Moses reminded the people of how the burden of leadership (1:9) over the growing population (1:10-11) was shared by appointing "wise and discerning and experienced men" from among the people (1:12-14) to serve as officers and judges (1:15). These leaders were charged with the responsibility of dispensing fair justice to all men, Israelite and non-Israelite alike (1:16-18). A system of community government to oversee the administration and preservation of law and order was imperative during the wilderness wanderings. The need for responsible government and a fair judicial system would be no less urgent in the Promised Land.

Moses isn't going with them when they cross the Jordan. He needs to make sure they understand and remember before they went across the Jordan.

:coffee: