Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: Another Solar Thread

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Member Since
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Depending on the size of the system, yes, it can be.

    The emergency backup electric coils are 12kW (give or take). If it runs 12 hours/day in emergency mode, and using 10 cents/kWH, that's $438.30 per month just for the heat.
    Guess I just don't know if 12 hours a day (50% runtime) would be normal? And is this only when it's below freezing outside? I remember I was looking at a low-ambient temperature unit a few years ago that said it would work to 0 degrees, but I think that was in combination with electric heat (but not 100% resistive heating).

    I'm interested because I have been considering moving away from town, but there is no way I could afford to treble my energy bill.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Guess I just don't know if 12 hours a day (50% runtime) would be normal? And is this only when it's below freezing outside? I remember I was looking at a low-ambient temperature unit a few years ago that said it would work to 0 degrees, but I think that was in combination with electric heat (but not 100% resistive heating).

    I'm interested because I have been considering moving away from town, but there is no way I could afford to treble my energy bill.
    It can be normal if it's really cold.

    Normally the heat pump runs, but HPs are not efficient below a certain temperature (usually about 40*) and the emergency heat kicks on (or manually turned on via the t-stat) when the heat pump can't gather any more heat from outside air.

    Now, electric emergency heat isn't mandatory. You can get a hybrid system which is a heat pump with oil or propane backup heat. Most of the new systems are already setup for it and a simple outdoor thermostat/sensor is installed to let the system know when to switch over to oil/propane heat when the temp is too low for efficient heat pump use.

    This is not to be confused with auxiliary heat. It's the same coil, but helps defrost the condensor coils. There's no getting around that, but still costs $$$ when it's on.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Depending on the size of the system, yes, it can be.

    The emergency backup electric coils are 12kW (give or take). If it runs 12 hours/day in emergency mode, and using 10 cents/kWH, that's $438.30 per month just for the heat.
    That's the one thing that's got me worried about what we went with in our new still-under-construction house. 23 SEER units running a 5-zone system, but no backup for the heat except the electric coils. Super tight and super insulated...but still concerned. This will be the first house I've owned that had no fuel-based backup heat.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    That's the one thing that's got me worried about what we went with in our new still-under-construction house. 23 SEER units running a 5-zone system, but no backup for the heat except the electric coils. Super tight and super insulated...but still concerned. This will be the first house I've owned that had no fuel-based backup heat.
    What ton system?

    J calcs (heat loss) should be low if built tight. I've seen some coils on larger systems as big as 24kW. I'd be using sleeping bags.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    What ton system?
    2 times 3 ton..I think. I'd have to check the paperwork to refresh my memory.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  6. #26
    Registered User PeoplesElbow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Smackdown hotel
    Posts
    5,055
    My electric bill last month was $55 and I don't have solar.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    My electric bill last month was $55 and I don't have solar.
    Yep mine was half of that, my NG made up the difference.
    My sailboat has panels and a wind turbine, lots of time to keep everything happy happy when it all gets used and not in a slip.

    It's easy to have a break even on a month that you don't need heat or AC.
    I'd like to see how well it does on cost this coming Aug and Dec.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    2 times 3 ton..I think. I'd have to check the paperwork to refresh my memory.
    That would make me really nervous with a home that size.
    I'd have to at least have a pellet somewhere in the home.
    Plans to have, say a 30,000 Genny ?
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Member Since
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by MR47930 View Post
    Answers in italics above.

    Anyone look into the Tesla solar tiles? They look like regular shingles and have a lifetime warranty. I assume they dont come cheap.
    https://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...-will-cost-you

    Looks like the installed cost is between asphalt shingles and tile. If you consider the value of the energy production, they may be cheaper than asphalt. I didn't see any mention of cost for inverters for grid tie, which isn't cheap.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    https://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...-will-cost-you

    Looks like the installed cost is between asphalt shingles and tile. If you consider the value of the energy production, they may be cheaper than asphalt. I didn't see any mention of cost for inverters for grid tie, which isn't cheap.
    Keep in mind, that cost is assuming only 35% of the tiles are solar tiles. Not the whole roof. It also doesn't facotr in any incentives, which would bring the cost down a bit.

    Consumer reports did the math and found that a 3,000sq. ft. solar roof would cost $73,500 compared to a asphalt roof at $20,000. Plus a ton of assumptions,
    So how could a $73,500 roof be considered cost-competitive with a $20,000 asphalt roof? To compensate for the proposed added value of the “free” electricity from Tesla’s roof, we added in $2,000 a year, over the lifespan of the roof. That’s a typical electric bill in states where solar is big, like California, Texas, and North Carolina.

    Tesla says the life expectancy of its tiles will be 30 years. So that adds $60,000 to the value of the roof. (Our rough estimate assumes our hypothetical Solar Roof homes generate exactly as much electricity as they use.)
    http://www.consumerreports.org/roofi...es-could-cost/

    Add in one or more Powerwalls (battery/inverter combo by Tesla) at $6,500 each and it's not as cheap as they make it seem. They factor in electricity savings, which is a good thing to consider, but Joe Blow with a house in almost complete shade (like mine) won't generate that much electrcity.

    Add in additional labor costs (because, as the article points out "roofers aren't electricians") and that's an expensive roof front loaded with 30 years of electrical costs.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |