Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Another Solar Thread

It's definitely not for everyone. I certainly wouldn't take the battery upsell.

That CR report is from BEFORE Tesla released any pricing information, and that figure they give is what they ESTIMTE it would have to be to be competitive. The article I listed references ACTUAL pricing, which appears to be much less than the CR estimates.

And the installation costs includes their "certified" installers. You buy their product, they install it.

So while it's probably not the best idea for SoMD, if you live in Sunny SoCal where tile roofing is prevalent and shade trees overhanging your roof are not, this is looking to be an affordable alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    It's definitely not for everyone. I certainly wouldn't take the battery upsell.

That CR report is from BEFORE Tesla released any pricing information, and that figure they give is what they ESTIMTE it would have to be to be competitive. The article I listed references ACTUAL pricing, which appears to be much less than the CR estimates.

And the installation costs includes their "certified" installers. You buy their product, they install it.

So while it's probably not the best idea for SoMD, if you live in Sunny SoCal where tile roofing is prevalent and shade trees overhanging your roof are not, this is looking to be an affordable alternative.
    No doubt. If I lived somewhere with full sun all the time, I'd think about it. They certainly look better than traditional solar arrays on roofs.

Elon Musk is doing amazing things. The guy's a genius, but solar just isn't in the cards for me, and given the relatively cheap electricity we pay for, solar would need to come way down in price before it's feasible. It won't take long though.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post

Add in one or more Powerwalls (battery/inverter combo by Tesla) at $6,500 each and it's not as cheap as they make it seem.

you can build your own
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    you can build your own
    I follow a couple of guys on youtube that do just that. There's an aussie that has like 50kw of packs he built. But even if you can source the cells for free (from laptop batteries or some industrial application), and even if you treat it like a hobby and value your time completely for free, you still end up spending damn near as much as just buying one. Unfortunately any time you use more than two lithium cells together you need to add expensive charge leveling, control, and heat monitoring hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    you can build your own
    Doesn't mean I want to.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Doesn't mean I want to.

well yeah ....
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

Our second "$0.00" electric bill. We have a credit!

Before solar, our monthly bill for this timeframe would be in the $275-$300 range.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like to be right.

Everyone's entitled to my opinion.

If you don't have anything nice to say to someone, then you need to STFU.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    So someone mentioned their heat pump with electric backup can run them 500/mo. in the winter. Is this normal? I currently have an older heat pump with natural gas backup and my combined gas/electric bill is usually under 200 even in the worst winter.

What is the HSPF rating of your system? How warm did you keep it in the winter?
    There's a few reasons your Emergency Heat can come on: temps below 25 - 30, an increase in heat needed more than 2 degrees (why heat pumps should be set and left alone, turning them on and off turns on E.Heat while trying to recover), or an unknown (until you get your next electric bill) failure of the Compressor/ Heat Pump itself.

Exceptionally cold months, turning your Heat Pump down while you're not home or at night for it to recover when you get home or wake up.. can drive your electric bill up a LOT,.. an unknown system failure where your system is running all month on E. Heat can triple your bill.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Use new lightbulbs, a coal stove and a compact fridge and bank the 30 grand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170516_155932.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	118501
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    That would make me really nervous with a home that size.
    I'd have to at least have a pellet somewhere in the home.
    Plans to have, say a 30,000 Genny ?
    Seeing as how our wood stove chimney (was fractured by the earthquake of 2011..but we didn't know it) took out the last house, the missus is understandably reluctant to have any kind of heat with "fire" in it in the new one.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Members who have read this thread: 53