Life In Southern Maryland

taylor1277

Well, I moved here with my gf, who is a native of this area. And well I am a lifelong lifetime native of Pennsylvania. Trying really hard to get used to Southern Maryland. Mostly trying to look for full time employment. Really hard. Have my job back in Pa if I ever decide to go back at any time. Want to make it work here for the next few years. Also trying to find places to go largemouth bass fishing, that seems hard too. I thought the south, lol was bass nation. I guess I haven't found those places yet. Well I would like to say thanks to the moderators of the forums for allowing me to be a part of this. I guess it is a step in the right direction and helps. So if you have any ideas of where I can go largemouth bass fishing, please let me know. No I don't have a boat. If someone needs a fishing partner, I am there. I know you don't know me, no criminal record so I am honest and don't ever want one. So I try to enjoy life, if I meet someone here makes friends or just meet people that is great, will chip in for whatever it takes to go fishing. I and my gf, we moved back here to take care of her mother, who lost her husband a few years back and well needs help with the house and someone looking after her. Well I hope my first introduction to the forum was okay.

calvcopf

Cool man. I don't really know of any ponds/lakes for that type of fishing here. Hoping someone else will know because I have been wanting to find a good spot for small or large mouth bass too!

Check https://www.usajobs.gov for openings on the base that you might qualify for.

What type of job are you looking for?

black dog

Free America
I would suggest that you login​ at Tidal Fish .Com forums and read and post on the Chesapeake / Potomac and Patuxant river threads. You also can usually catch a ride there from others that do have boats.
Once you reel in a 50" rockfish... Or even a 30" rock on a lite rod with spider wire and a rattletrap in the rivers in the fall...... Fresh water ain't much fun.

warneckutz

Well, I moved here with my gf, who is a native of this area. And well I am a lifelong lifetime native of Pennsylvania. Trying really hard to get used to Southern Maryland. Mostly trying to look for full time employment. Really hard. Have my job back in Pa if I ever decide to go back at any time. Want to make it work here for the next few years. Also trying to find places to go largemouth bass fishing, that seems hard too. I thought the south, lol was bass nation. I guess I haven't found those places yet. Well I would like to say thanks to the moderators of the forums for allowing me to be a part of this. I guess it is a step in the right direction and helps. So if you have any ideas of where I can go largemouth bass fishing, please let me know. No I don't have a boat. If someone needs a fishing partner, I am there. I know you don't know me, no criminal record so I am honest and don't ever want one. So I try to enjoy life, if I meet someone here makes friends or just meet people that is great, will chip in for whatever it takes to go fishing. I and my gf, we moved back here to take care of her mother, who lost her husband a few years back and well needs help with the house and someone looking after her. Well I hope my first introduction to the forum was okay.

What part of PA?

dave1959

Mattawoman creek in Charles county is a hot bed of large mouth fishing.. Multiple tournaments held there every year.

lovinmaryland

Gilbert Run, St Marys Lake, and Mattawoman Creek are some good areas to go fishing for large mouth. We like Gilbert Run for trout also.

These were caught at St Marys Lake

Attachments

• IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 297

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Mattawoman creek in Charles county is a hot bed of large mouth fishing.. Multiple tournaments held there every year.

Used to be a tournament (not sure they do it anymore) on the Potomac that covered the DC area.. LOT of big bass if you know where to go to get them..

With all the rivers and lakes around here, and our weather that has to be a ton of freshwater as well.

lovinmaryland

Used to be a tournament (not sure they do it anymore) on the Potomac that covered the DC area.. LOT of big bass if you know where to go to get them..

With all the rivers and lakes around here, and our weather that has to be a ton of freshwater as well.

Theres been a couple of pretty big tournaments that have come thru...the two biggest were FLW tour and Bassmasters. Our kids got to meet a lot of pros it was pretty cool!

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 298

Bman

what area are you in? I'm in Lusby and I try to go fishing whenever I can. I have several kayaks available and it's a lot of fun fishing from one.

officeguy

At the end of Mattingly Ave in Indian Head is a public fishing dock on the Mattawoman. There is a new kayak rental company. The old outfit rented out small Jon-boats to go up the river, I am not sure the new company does.

http://www.atlantickayak.com/index.html

There are a couple of other places to get into Mattawoman creek. One is the boat ramp at Sweden Point Marina

http://www.charlescountymd.gov/locations/sweden-point-marina

It's inside of Smallwood state park and a bit further down on the stream than Mattingly Ave. The creek is pretty open at that point.

Where MD225 crosses Mattawoman creek (and intersects with MD224), you can find a small 'carry in' kayak launch maintained by the Mason Springs conservancy (red arrow).

Kayak_launch.jpg

From there you can paddle down into the tidal portion of the creek (iirc the MD225 bridge is the line that defines whether you need a freshwater or a tidal fishing license).

At the end of Mattawoman Rd in Marbury you can also get to the creek. It's not really a ramp, but you could launch a kayak or canoe to fish.

Last edited:

Clem72

Theres been a couple of pretty big tournaments that have come thru...the two biggest were FLW tour and Bassmasters. Our kids got to meet a lot of pros it was pretty cool!

Meeting pro bass fishermen must rank somewhere between meeting a pro bowler from the senior tour, and one of the red shirt extras from star trek TOS. Not going to lie though, I would probably ask for a picture with Walter Ray Williams Jr.

lovinmaryland

Meeting pro bass fishermen must rank somewhere between meeting a pro bowler from the senior tour, and one of the red shirt extras from star trek TOS. Not going to lie though, I would probably ask for a picture with Walter Ray Williams Jr.

If they want to look up to a pro bass fisherman vs a kardashian or someone equally of no talent I'm fine w/ that :shrug:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Not sure if it's large or small mouth bass but son has caught bass at The Soundings just off Olivet Rd near Patuxent HS.

acommondisaster

If they want to look up to a pro bass fisherman vs a kardashian or someone equally of no talent I'm fine w/ that :shrug:

One of those kardashians does a fish face thing - I forget which one it is; I get them mixed up. So they're either a small mouth or a big azz bass. And that's the most I've ever said about them. I feel like I need a good antibacterial wash up now.

acommondisaster

knowing what kind of work you're looking for might get you some good info.

taylor1277

Well I am looking for Forklift Operator, I have worked with companies such as Ocean Spray, Kellogg's, Nabisco, M& M Mars. Have no problem finding employment in Pa. Here I feel like an outsider. Warehousing and Logistics

taylor1277

Yeah, I agree with you on that, never fished for something that large before. But would love to. Wouldn't mind finding a striper boat to go on either.