Ultra Light Fishing

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
After three days of rain it was nice getting out.
Caught this one with a simple shad dart, tipped, with a night crawler.
Wife caught some respectable perch too.
She's never used an ultra light until today.

Attachments

• First Rock 2017 (2).jpg
    First Rock 2017 (2).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 639

littlelady

God bless the USA
I am not a fisherwoman! :lol: Didn't know they were too small. I have crabbed and hunted. Hub was a big fisherman back in the day. He said there is nothing like fresh caught fish cooked in an iron skillet on a campfire. That was in CO. He used to go on two week trips on horseback and fish and hunt with friends.

Bman

what are you calling ultra light? 6lb test? I have used an ultra light rod with 4lb test line and even a bluegill feels like a big fish on the line, I can't imagine catching a decent sized rockfish on one.

black dog

Free America
We use lite equipment in the rivers with a Jon boat in the fall working around and under old structuers and about anything submerged. We use about 30lb spider wire with a 1/4 oz rattletrap ( silver or blue body ) and a zebco for the most part. If you know of any holes cast and drag across the top of the hole,,,,,Lots of fun.

Chris0nllyn

what are you calling ultra light? 6lb test? I have used an ultra light rod with 4lb test line and even a bluegill feels like a big fish on the line, I can't imagine catching a decent sized rockfish on one.

It's perfect for smallmouth fishing on the upper potomac

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day

As of now, using 4lb. Don't think my lil (favorite) Daiwa could handle 6 but we have other UL reels that can.
Perfect for perch fishing and yeah when a decent rock hits on it...FUN TIMES. Same with spot, sea trout and croakers.
A typical outing (in our local cove) will have us both with a medium action 10lb setup along with an ultra light that I'd normally work. There's 4 to choose from.
Now the wife has the ultra light bug too. Got her rigged up with her own 6lb setup that she'll try later today.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
A quick outing today with pretty much the same results.
No complaints.

Attachments

• Rock and Roll Pier1.png.jpg
    Rock and Roll Pier1.png.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 386

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Strung up the medium action rod and hit the beach today. Low tide ( the lowest I can remember) but they were hitting pretty well.

Drum was 32'. Had another at 27'.
Rock was 18'.
Lots of big perch as well.

Attachments

• Red Drum.jpg
    Red Drum.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Rockfish.jpg
    Rockfish.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 141

littlelady

God bless the USA
Strung up the medium action rod and hit the beach today. Low tide ( the lowest I can remember) but they were hitting pretty well.

Rock was 18'.

Nice! I miss paradise! And, I miss your music. Please post some! :smile:

nutz

Rock was 18'.

Holy crap 32 feet, who was holding it, Gulliver? :lmao:

nice photos

Chris0nllyn

Went up to the mountains over the weekend.

Caught a few smallmouth and blue gill but a big storm came through Friday night and by Sat. morning the river was muddy. Didn;t catch anything all day Sat.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day

Caught a few smallmouth and blue gill but a big storm came through Friday night and by Sat. morning the river was muddy. Didn;t catch anything all day Sat.

:yay:

I miss fishing for smallmouth. The majority of our my tackle is geared for it.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
One from this evening and the view towards the end.
28'' on the drum. The spot have finally shown up as well.

Attachments

• 6-22 (2).jpg
    6-22 (2).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Red Drum4 (2).jpg
    Red Drum4 (2).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 124

Natron0915

Where'd you go? Spent the weekend camping and fishing the South Fork of the Shenandoah. Had great action all weekend long. Guess I got lucky with the storms.

Chris0nllyn

Where'd you go? Spent the weekend camping and fishing the South Fork of the Shenandoah. Had great action all weekend long. Guess I got lucky with the storms.

Little Orleans. Right at Fifteen Mile Creek and the Potomac.

Some folks said Paw Paw, WV got hit pretty good. That would make sense as it's a couple miles up river.