Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So how was your Mother's Day?

............and brace yourselves... next month through your fb feed will be all the single moms with their "hey Im the (mom) and dad too ya know!" posts....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LostNFound View Post
    I have a better question- from my friends who never became mothers... Whats with saying it to all women as if thats ok to do? Some of us lost our mothers not even a month ago. One of us has a mother on her death bed, a few - no kids - one by choice- 2 not really by choice. Yet, shop keepers, random strangers- even people that actually know them... wish them a happy mothers day. The next day they are asked how was your mother's day. Sure, we all came from some lady- but not all were raised by a woman worthy of that title.

I guess I kinda hijacked a good thread - so to return to topic- mine was great thanks, I spent it with the kids for the first part of the day and with the husband the last part of the day- not because it is expected of me or I need to post it up- simply because thats exactly how I wanted to spend the day.

My kidless friends would consider my first paragraph a PSA if you will. I hate that argument of whether we can say merry xmas to one and all- and this kinda reeks the same way.. but seriously.. Mother's Day is for Moms- not WOMEN across the board.
    People who don't know you - clerks, etc - are just trying to be nice. Even if your own mom sucked or is gone, maybe *you* are a mother and therefore worthy of well-wishing.

I don't know. I personally don't wish random women a happy Mother's Day or anything like that. Like, women who called me over the last couple of days for tech support, I didn't sign off by wishing them a happy Mother's Day. That would be weird.

I do say Merry Christmas without getting a personal history first because that's more traditional and only a real malcontent would take offense at something that was clearly not intended to be offensive.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Sometimes people are just trying to be nice. I dont think anyone is meant to "offend" by wishing someone a Happy Mothers Day. What about fathers? Do guys get offended if someone wishes them a Happy Fathers Day, even though, they aren't?

I have a better question- from my friends who never became mothers... Whats with saying it to all women as if thats ok to do? Some of us lost our mothers not even a month ago. One of us has a mother on her death bed, a few - no kids - one by choice- 2 not really by choice. Yet, shop keepers, random strangers- even people that actually know them... wish them a happy mothers day. The next day they are asked how was your mother's day. Sure, we all came from some lady- but not all were raised by a woman worthy of that title.

I guess I kinda hijacked a good thread - so to return to topic- mine was great thanks, I spent it with the kids for the first part of the day and with the husband the last part of the day- not because it is expected of me or I need to post it up- simply because thats exactly how I wanted to spend the day.

My kidless friends would consider my first paragraph a PSA if you will. I hate that argument of whether we can say merry xmas to one and all- and this kinda reeks the same way.. but seriously.. Mother's Day is for Moms- not WOMEN across the board.
    I said "Happy Mother's Day" to a woman I know lost her daughter a few years ago.

What's worse, reminding them they had a daughter/mother, or pretending they never existed?
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    I said "Happy Mother's Day" to a woman I know lost her daughter a few years ago.

What's worse, reminding them they had a daughter/mother, or pretending they never existed?

Registered User acommondisaster's Avatar
    Kids were all working and I got home from work at 7:30am, so I slept, nearly all day. When I got up, we went and looked at a local nursery for flowers (traditionally we all do the outside planting on MD) but I turned to my husband and told him I didnt want any flowers because the last thing I wanted to do was go home and plant them! So we left and I requested hamburgers on the grill for my Mother's Day dinner. My husband looked at me like I was nuts, but made it anyway. I was in bed, watching some movie on Netflix by 8pm and asleep by 8:07. Thrilling but perfect.
    Chaos breathes life into routine.

My mom was visiting me from Phoenix for the first time since I moved to the horse farm. We went to Cedar Key, FL and walked around the waterfront, shops and the beach. Had a very nice lunch and decided to come back for another visit on a Saturday when she comes out the next time. The next time we will go on the boat tour and she wants to see the quilt shops around the area.

We wished all women Happy Mother's Day because they all came in to buy stuff for their pets. In some people's eyes, they may not be an actual "Mom", since they didn't give birth to the dog or cat, but most (pet) people refer to themselves as "pet parents".

On another note, I take no offense to someone wishing me a Happy Mother's day (since I CHOSE to never have two legged children). It was a friendly gesture from the cashier I encountered that had no way of knowing I had no children.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyChevy75 View Post
    My mom was visiting me from Phoenix for the first time since I moved to the horse farm. We went to Cedar Key, FL and walked around the waterfront, shops and the beach. Had a very nice lunch and decided to come back for another visit on a Saturday when she comes out the next time. The next time we will go on the boat tour and she wants to see the quilt shops around the area.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

Quote Originally Posted by frequentflier View Post
    I know I am not on as much. Just log in to see what is going on. You should see my current foster dog. He came to me about 15 lbs under weight. Still needs to gain more weight but he looks less starved. Loves dog toys I buy new ones about once a week and he carries them everywhere. When I put his toys in the toy box he takes them out as fast as I put them away. It is hysterical.

Members who have read this thread: 67