So how was your Mother's Day?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What did you all do?

Saturday Monello and I went on a pub crawl in downtown Austin with my daughter and her beau, then Sunday we girls got pedicures and met my son and the rest of the guys for brunch at this place on Lake Travis. It was a wonderful day!

luvmygdaughters

Daughter # 1 and both granddaughters and Daughter # 2 and her beau, met us at Drift Inn for crabs. We decided it would be better to it on Saturday instead of Sunday, granddaughter # 1 is working and Sunday would've conflicted with her work schedule. Crabs were steamed to perfection, very meaty and very tasty. The company was fantastic!! Sounds like you had a nice Mothers Day as well.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So what's the deal with Mother's Day? On Father's Day, dad gets breakfast, hugs, some attention from the wife and kids, then he goes and plays golf or does some other relaxing him-only thing.

Mother, on the other hand, is expected to spend her whole day doing what she does every other day of the year: chasing after the kids and "spending time with them".

What's up with that? We ladies at the pedi place all agreed that the perfect Mother's Day would be one where you get some attention, then Dad takes the kids somewhere all day so you can enjoy the peace and quiet, maybe get a nap. Read a book.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
So what's the deal with Mother's Day? On Father's Day, dad gets breakfast, hugs, some attention from the wife and kids, then he goes and plays golf or does some other relaxing him-only thing.

Mother, on the other hand, is expected to spend her whole day doing what she does every other day of the year: chasing after the kids and "spending time with them".

What's up with that? We ladies at the pedi place all agreed that the perfect Mother's Day would be one where you get some attention, then Dad takes the kids somewhere all day so you can enjoy the peace and quiet, maybe get a nap. Read a book.

That's bc women are the ones coordinating the events on Father's Day :lol: I also think a lot of women fool themselves into believing that in order to be seen as a real loving/doting/super obsessively good mother they must be WITH and surrounded by their children on that day, and all day long. Also, documenting it on FB is a must. :shrug:

I agree with you though. I've worked wayyyyy too many Mother's days at restaurants to EVER want to go to one on that day. MD brunch is the last thing from peaceful and relaxing.

luvmygdaughters

That's bc women are the ones coordinating the events on Father's Day :lol: I also think a lot of women fool themselves into believing that in order to be seen as a real loving/doting/super obsessively good mother they must be WITH and surrounded by their children on that day, and all day long. Also, documenting it on FB is a must. :shrug:

I agree with you though. I've worked wayyyyy too many Mother's days at restaurants to EVER want to go to one on that day. MD brunch is the last thing from peaceful and relaxing.

I agree with the "going out for dinner" on Mothers Day, the only reason we went out for crabs was my daughter had a taste for them. Otherwise, I would've preferred putting something on the grill and staying in the backyard.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Since neither my wife nor I are parents, we went to the movies. The theater was practically empty because all the kiddies were stuck hanging out with mom. It made for a very pleasant, relaxing afternoon.

I have a better question- from my friends who never became mothers... Whats with saying it to all women as if thats ok to do? Some of us lost our mothers not even a month ago. One of us has a mother on her death bed, a few - no kids - one by choice- 2 not really by choice. Yet, shop keepers, random strangers- even people that actually know them... wish them a happy mothers day. The next day they are asked how was your mother's day. Sure, we all came from some lady- but not all were raised by a woman worthy of that title.

I guess I kinda hijacked a good thread - so to return to topic- mine was great thanks, I spent it with the kids for the first part of the day and with the husband the last part of the day- not because it is expected of me or I need to post it up- simply because thats exactly how I wanted to spend the day.

My kidless friends would consider my first paragraph a PSA if you will. I hate that argument of whether we can say merry xmas to one and all- and this kinda reeks the same way.. but seriously.. Mother's Day is for Moms- not WOMEN across the board.

............and brace yourselves... next month through your fb feed will be all the single moms with their "hey Im the (mom) and dad too ya know!" posts....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have a better question- from my friends who never became mothers... Whats with saying it to all women as if thats ok to do? Some of us lost our mothers not even a month ago. One of us has a mother on her death bed, a few - no kids - one by choice- 2 not really by choice. Yet, shop keepers, random strangers- even people that actually know them... wish them a happy mothers day. The next day they are asked how was your mother's day. Sure, we all came from some lady- but not all were raised by a woman worthy of that title.

I guess I kinda hijacked a good thread - so to return to topic- mine was great thanks, I spent it with the kids for the first part of the day and with the husband the last part of the day- not because it is expected of me or I need to post it up- simply because thats exactly how I wanted to spend the day.

My kidless friends would consider my first paragraph a PSA if you will. I hate that argument of whether we can say merry xmas to one and all- and this kinda reeks the same way.. but seriously.. Mother's Day is for Moms- not WOMEN across the board.

People who don't know you - clerks, etc - are just trying to be nice. Even if your own mom sucked or is gone, maybe *you* are a mother and therefore worthy of well-wishing.

I don't know. I personally don't wish random women a happy Mother's Day or anything like that. Like, women who called me over the last couple of days for tech support, I didn't sign off by wishing them a happy Mother's Day. That would be weird.

I do say Merry Christmas without getting a personal history first because that's more traditional and only a real malcontent would take offense at something that was clearly not intended to be offensive.

luvmygdaughters

Sometimes people are just trying to be nice. I dont think anyone is meant to "offend" by wishing someone a Happy Mothers Day. What about fathers? Do guys get offended if someone wishes them a Happy Fathers Day, even though, they aren't?

Chris0nllyn

I said "Happy Mother's Day" to a woman I know lost her daughter a few years ago.

What's worse, reminding them they had a daughter/mother, or pretending they never existed?

acommondisaster

Kids were all working and I got home from work at 7:30am, so I slept, nearly all day. When I got up, we went and looked at a local nursery for flowers (traditionally we all do the outside planting on MD) but I turned to my husband and told him I didnt want any flowers because the last thing I wanted to do was go home and plant them! So we left and I requested hamburgers on the grill for my Mother's Day dinner. My husband looked at me like I was nuts, but made it anyway. I was in bed, watching some movie on Netflix by 8pm and asleep by 8:07. Thrilling but perfect.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
My mom was visiting me from Phoenix for the first time since I moved to the horse farm. We went to Cedar Key, FL and walked around the waterfront, shops and the beach. Had a very nice lunch and decided to come back for another visit on a Saturday when she comes out the next time. The next time we will go on the boat tour and she wants to see the quilt shops around the area.

frequentflier

happy to be living

We wished all women Happy Mother's Day because they all came in to buy stuff for their pets. In some people's eyes, they may not be an actual "Mom", since they didn't give birth to the dog or cat, but most (pet) people refer to themselves as "pet parents".

On another note, I take no offense to someone wishing me a Happy Mother's day (since I CHOSE to never have two legged children). It was a friendly gesture from the cashier I encountered that had no way of knowing I had no children. :shrug:

frequentflier

happy to be living
My mom was visiting me from Phoenix for the first time since I moved to the horse farm. We went to Cedar Key, FL and walked around the waterfront, shops and the beach. Had a very nice lunch and decided to come back for another visit on a Saturday when she comes out the next time. The next time we will go on the boat tour and she wants to see the quilt shops around the area.

:howdy:

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL

I know I am not on as much. Just log in to see what is going on. You should see my current foster dog. He came to me about 15 lbs under weight. Still needs to gain more weight but he looks less starved. Loves dog toys I buy new ones about once a week and he carries them everywhere. When I put his toys in the toy box he takes them out as fast as I put them away. It is hysterical.