Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So how was your Mother's Day?

Blog Entries

So how was your Mother's Day?

What did you all do?

Saturday Monello and I went on a pub crawl in downtown Austin with my daughter and her beau, then Sunday we girls got pedicures and met my son and the rest of the guys for brunch at this place on Lake Travis. It was a wonderful day!
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Daughter # 1 and both granddaughters and Daughter # 2 and her beau, met us at Drift Inn for crabs. We decided it would be better to it on Saturday instead of Sunday, granddaughter # 1 is working and Sunday would've conflicted with her work schedule. Crabs were steamed to perfection, very meaty and very tasty. The company was fantastic!! Sounds like you had a nice Mothers Day as well.

Just another day for me, so I celebrated with margarita's!
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    Just another day for me, so I celebrated with margarita's!
    Hmmm...That sounds nice too!

Blog Entries
    So what's the deal with Mother's Day? On Father's Day, dad gets breakfast, hugs, some attention from the wife and kids, then he goes and plays golf or does some other relaxing him-only thing.

Mother, on the other hand, is expected to spend her whole day doing what she does every other day of the year: chasing after the kids and "spending time with them".

What's up with that? We ladies at the pedi place all agreed that the perfect Mother's Day would be one where you get some attention, then Dad takes the kids somewhere all day so you can enjoy the peace and quiet, maybe get a nap. Read a book.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    So what's the deal with Mother's Day? On Father's Day, dad gets breakfast, hugs, some attention from the wife and kids, then he goes and plays golf or does some other relaxing him-only thing.

Mother, on the other hand, is expected to spend her whole day doing what she does every other day of the year: chasing after the kids and "spending time with them".

What's up with that? We ladies at the pedi place all agreed that the perfect Mother's Day would be one where you get some attention, then Dad takes the kids somewhere all day so you can enjoy the peace and quiet, maybe get a nap. Read a book.
    That's bc women are the ones coordinating the events on Father's Day I also think a lot of women fool themselves into believing that in order to be seen as a real loving/doting/super obsessively good mother they must be WITH and surrounded by their children on that day, and all day long. Also, documenting it on FB is a must.

I agree with you though. I've worked wayyyyy too many Mother's days at restaurants to EVER want to go to one on that day. MD brunch is the last thing from peaceful and relaxing.
    none of my yoga pants have ever been to yoga.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_bee View Post
    That's bc women are the ones coordinating the events on Father's Day I also think a lot of women fool themselves into believing that in order to be seen as a real loving/doting/super obsessively good mother they must be WITH and surrounded by their children on that day, and all day long. Also, documenting it on FB is a must.

I agree with you though. I've worked wayyyyy too many Mother's days at restaurants to EVER want to go to one on that day. MD brunch is the last thing from peaceful and relaxing.
    I agree with the "going out for dinner" on Mothers Day, the only reason we went out for crabs was my daughter had a taste for them. Otherwise, I would've preferred putting something on the grill and staying in the backyard.

Since neither my wife nor I are parents, we went to the movies. The theater was practically empty because all the kiddies were stuck hanging out with mom. It made for a very pleasant, relaxing afternoon.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    Since neither my wife nor I are parents, we went to the movies. The theater was practically empty because all the kiddies were stuck hanging out with mom. It made for a very pleasant, relaxing afternoon.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post

I have a better question- from my friends who never became mothers... Whats with saying it to all women as if thats ok to do? Some of us lost our mothers not even a month ago. One of us has a mother on her death bed, a few - no kids - one by choice- 2 not really by choice. Yet, shop keepers, random strangers- even people that actually know them... wish them a happy mothers day. The next day they are asked how was your mother's day. Sure, we all came from some lady- but not all were raised by a woman worthy of that title.

I guess I kinda hijacked a good thread - so to return to topic- mine was great thanks, I spent it with the kids for the first part of the day and with the husband the last part of the day- not because it is expected of me or I need to post it up- simply because thats exactly how I wanted to spend the day.

My kidless friends would consider my first paragraph a PSA if you will. I hate that argument of whether we can say merry xmas to one and all- and this kinda reeks the same way.. but seriously.. Mother's Day is for Moms- not WOMEN across the board.

Members who have read this thread: 67