You think you're so smart

Clem72

Not that this directly relates to this kid, who is obviously very intelligent.

I am reminded of an article I read a few years ago that followed child prodigies / geniuses, and found overall they did not contribute any more to their fields than their peers that graduated at a normal age, they just develop much earlier/faster. I.E. Doogie Howser was smarter than most 14 year olds, but likely no smarter than other doctors that graduated with similar grades from a similar medical program.

stgislander

PREMO Member

I am reminded of an article I read a few years ago that followed child prodigies / geniuses, and found overall they did not contribute any more to their fields than their peers that graduated at a normal age, they just develop much earlier/faster. I.E. Doogie Howser was smarter than most 14 year olds, but likely no smarter than other doctors that graduated with similar grades from a similar medical program.

Buzzkill.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Fine with me. I still like to see kids working to their potential. This particular kid is lucky that his parents recognized his gift and enabled him to rise to his level. There might be genius kids born all the time to crackheads and dumbasses who are too underachieving themselves to see it, and that kid's brain just falls through the cracks until he starts doing drugs and being a dumbass himself.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

No, dog, THIS kid is smart. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/1...t-to-graduate-texas-christian-university.html 14 year old kid graduates from Texas Christian University with a Bachelor's in Physics!!!!! and minors in Chinese and Math. Most 14 year olds can't even pronounce "quantum mechanics". AWESOME!!!! :clap:

He may be smart at physics and know math, but I bet he is still dumb as sh*t when it comes to many other things that require time and experience to acquire and achieve. Just like any other collage graduate. It is knowing how to apply what you learn and know, and how everything coalesces and interacts. This kid won't really know any of this for quite a while. Though obviously, he does do good at testing.

awpitt

Main Streeter
If I may ...

He may be smart at physics and know math, but I bet he is still dumb as sh*t when it comes to many other things that require time and experience to acquire and achieve. Just like any other collage graduate. It is knowing how to apply what you learn and know, and how everything coalesces and interacts. This kid won't really know any of this for quite a while. Though obviously, he does do good at testing.

Of course he still has much to learn as in life lessons and things like that but this is till quite an achievement.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I bet he is still dumb as sh*t when it comes to many other things

You're totally speculating that this kid is socially retarded and you do not know any such thing about him.

And really, so what if he is? Why can't he be a brainiac and that be good enough? If he were BMOC football star and dumb as a post, he'd be a hero. It frustrates me, the crap we value in our society.

I'm impressed with this kid and impressed with his parents or whoever raised him. He can be a little dweeb who has no friends his own age, and I'd still be impressed with his accomplishments.

Sounds to me like you're just jealous. :razz:

SamSpade

Fine with me. I still like to see kids working to their potential. This particular kid is lucky that his parents recognized his gift and enabled him to rise to his level.

I grew up around gifted kids having been placed in such programs in school. Some of my friends were early blooming brainiacs.
One of them is still a professor at MIT. Another was that guy who briefly became famous a few years back who gave a lecture at Carnegie Mellon knowing it would be his last ("The Last Lecture").
I've looked up a lot of them over the years - some died young - some are doing great work - some, they're just good at their engineering or scientist or medical career but not exceptional -
I moved around a lot as a kid, always around the really smart kids and I know this much -

While some of them turned out the same as their peers, most of the really exceptional ones WERE really smart kids. The ones who were winning science fairs and chess tournaments?
Some of them turned out to be just your regular sharp doctor or smart lawyer - but the outstanding ones? They were that way as kids - they didn't "suddenly" become geniuses late in life.

My very best friend through most of high school - we were competing for valedictorian all through school. He went to MIT, made it to Colonel in the Air Force - quit the AF, chose the Peace Corps - and is now a priest for the past twenty years, and has done exceptional charity work. I am sure he would have made an excellent engineer but - it wasn't where his heart was.

I was considered one of those brilliant kids - kind of peaked very early - and somewhere I decided I didn't want to develop my "gift" - I just wanted to enjoy my life. Nothing wrong with that.

Clem72

I grew up around gifted kids having been placed in such programs in school. Some of my friends were early blooming brainiacs.
One of them is still a professor at MIT. Another was that guy who briefly became famous a few years back who gave a lecture at Carnegie Mellon knowing it would be his last ("The Last Lecture").
I've looked up a lot of them over the years - some died young - some are doing great work - some, they're just good at their engineering or scientist or medical career but not exceptional -
I moved around a lot as a kid, always around the really smart kids and I know this much -

While some of them turned out the same as their peers, most of the really exceptional ones WERE really smart kids. The ones who were winning science fairs and chess tournaments?
Some of them turned out to be just your regular sharp doctor or smart lawyer - but the outstanding ones? They were that way as kids - they didn't "suddenly" become geniuses late in life.

My very best friend through most of high school - we were competing for valedictorian all through school. He went to MIT, made it to Colonel in the Air Force - quit the AF, chose the Peace Corps - and is now a priest for the past twenty years, and has done exceptional charity work. I am sure he would have made an excellent engineer but - it wasn't where his heart was.

I was considered one of those brilliant kids - kind of peaked very early - and somewhere I decided I didn't want to develop my "gift" - I just wanted to enjoy my life. Nothing wrong with that.

Sam, I think you are actually validating what I read. The kid who is valedictorian of your class, goes to MIT, and ends up lecturing is smart, and driven, but not "14 year old with PHD" child genius level. The point of the story I read was that the Uber 1 in a million genius doesn't end up doing more than the 1 in 100 smart and driven person. Unless of course the gifted student program you were in was really packed full of the 1 in a million kids, in which case we need to figure out what was in the water where you grew up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sam, I think you are actually validating what I read. The kid who is valedictorian of your class, goes to MIT, and ends up lecturing is smart, and driven, but not "14 year old with PHD" child genius level. The point of the story I read was that the Uber 1 in a million genius doesn't end up doing more than the 1 in 100 smart and driven person. Unless of course the gifted student program you were in was really packed full of the 1 in a million kids, in which case we need to figure out what was in the water where you grew up.

But, again, that's okay. Currently he is achieving to his potential. Later on he'll level off, but it doesn't take away his accomplishments today. His intelligence and maturity can stay right where it is at 14, and he'd STILL be way ahead of most adults.

PsyOps

Pixelated
If I may ...

Oh... My... God!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't a kid accomplish something amazing without some of you finding something negative in it?

PsyOps

Pixelated

I mentioned on here before that John Mather was my neighbor back in the late '70s and early '80s. My recollection of conversations with him is that he graduated from HS in his early teens. When he graduated from college NASA came looking for him, rather than he having to look for a job. He went on to win the Nobel in physics.

I remember Glenn Sales, who is a extremely gifted pianist, a prodigy at about age 8. I remember he was also extremely gifted in math and sciences. He could done anything he wanted, but decided to perform as a pianist.

A person's accomplishments have very little to do with their education level and when they achieve their education. It has to do with their desire actually become something. I think, in so many cases, these kids are put under so much pressure to achieve, that they burn out and just tell the world to go to hell, and they go on their merry way doing what makes THEM happy.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Read the comments on the story. Some people just need a punch in the throat.

I just don't understand it. I find myself applauding people that succeed, at any age. People so filled with negativity will achieve nothing more than that. What a great contribution to the world. :ohwell: