using smart phone apps to save money

Bman

does anyone have any good apps that help to save money?
My wife uses retail-me-not and we usually save a few bucks with that in some local stores like Kohls and Dick's. She also uses ebates when shopping online.

I just discovered checkout51 and ibotta which give rebates after you buy stuff, mainly groceries but ibotta has a lot of beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages on it too.

On both of these rebate apps you look through the categories and stores where you shop to see what items you might want to buy and unlock them. Then once you buy the items you scan the barcodes and take a picture of the receipt with your cell phone. That's it, pretty easy and I've made over $60 in the last 2 months using them.

I would like to build a "team" on ibotta because it helps you get bonuses each month but whenever I mention it to people I know they look at me like I have 2 heads. If anyone is in the same boat and wants to join my ibotta team use my referral code "reeuqir" and I will get a$5 bonus and you will get a $10 bonus after your first rebate that you submit within a week of joining.

If you don't want to join my team you should still sign up anyway to save a few bucks.

There is more info in the Google play store or you can watch videos on youtube.

Last edited:

Bman

I almost forgot, I started using receipt hog a month ago and I have uploaded a bunch of receipts, so far I only have 600 points and it takes 1000 points to get $5 so it works but it is pretty slow. Maybe it would be faster depending on how much you spend and where you shop.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I don't use the internet to shop, as a rule; just sometimes. I like to patronize physical places. But, I have seen commercials for ebates. Never checked it out. Also, when we use our Chase and Discover cards for purchases, we get points. Hub just bought a mountain/trail bike with all the trimmings for free. And, I have a dumb old phone which doesn't allow me to scan those promotions, but I don't care. I am a coupon queen since the beginning. I always tell people in the store, if you see me again, don't get behind me. It takes forever. I am 62 and set in my ways. :lol: That's all I got.

Last edited:

Bman

oh yea, we get 1.5% back on all charges on our Capitol one visa. We use it for all of our purchases and utilities and we usually get over $500 per year from them and use it towards our vacation.

Where do you get your coupons? I get a few at the register at Giant and a few from inside of the packages of certain products but we don't subscribe to any newspapers so we really don't get many. BJ's always has coupons books but it kind of pisses me off to have to clip coupons from BJ's when we pay an annual membership fee to shop there. :doh:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
oh yea, we get 1.5% back on all charges on our Capitol one visa. We use it for all of our purchases and utilities and we usually get over $500 per year from them and use it towards our vacation.

Where do you get your coupons? I get a few at the register at Giant and a few from inside of the packages of certain products but we don't subscribe to any newspapers so we really don't get many. BJ's always has coupons books but it kind of pisses me off to have to clip coupons from BJ's when we pay an annual membership fee to shop there. :doh:

Agree.

Clem72

I don't use the internet to shop, as a rule; just sometimes.

The OP probably didn't make it clear, but the app he is talking about is for shopping at physical retail stores. You look through the app, check the items you are interested in, buy them at the store, then take a picture of your receipt.

It's basically using electronic coupons.

That said, this guy just joined the forum so it's probably a spammer trying to get lots of sign up bonuses who doesn't live local.

Clem72

BJ's always has coupons books but it kind of pisses me off to have to clip coupons from BJ's when we pay an annual membership fee to shop there. :doh:

This bothers me as well. Also, why are their prices often worse than Walmart for the same item? Aren't they the same damn company?

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
This bothers me as well. Also, why are their prices often worse than Walmart for the same item? Aren't they the same damn company?

Walmart and Sams Club are the same. Not sure if BJ's is connected to anything.

lovinmaryland

I have a BJs card but rarely shop there (maybe 4 or 5 times a year) I was in there the other day and saw two woman huddled over their cart clipping coupons from the BJ's book. What a hassle! I usually shop at Costco and they have those savings books also but you don't need to clip the coupon. You just buy the item and the coupon/discount amount is automatically removed at the register.

Bman

Clem72, a spammer like me just doesn't stand a chance around here. Since you've only been a member for about a year how can we be sure it isn't you that is up to no good? I bet you live way up in Anne Arundel or even worse...PG county :bonk::whip::neener:

I'm glad it's not just me that gets annoyed by the BJ'S coupon hassle. My wife thinks I'm crazy and that those coupons save us money. They only save money when you see them in the book and remember to use them.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
The OP probably didn't make it clear, but the app he is talking about is for shopping at physical retail stores. You look through the app, check the items you are interested in, buy them at the store, then take a picture of your receipt.

It's basically using electronic coupons.

That said, this guy just joined the forum so it's probably a spammer trying to get lots of sign up bonuses who doesn't live local.

I understand what you are saying, but I said I have a dumb phone so I can't do the scan app thing. I can't take my hub's I-phone because it is his biz phone. Thanks for the explanation, though. And, I disagree, I think Bman is legit; he is just new. Did you witness my initiation back in the day? :faint: :lol:

littlelady

God bless the USA

Different sources. The grocery store weekly flyers. I shop Safeway and Giant. Never have done BJs or Costco. S and G, also, have in store mags that are published periodically that have coupons. Coupon websites. Here is a bing search for you: http://www.bing.com/search?q=grocery+coupon+websites&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTTR&conversationid=

And, like you said, the coupons that I get when checking out at the register. Also, don't tell anybody :gossip: but we used to get the WaPo back in the day that had great coupons, but we got sick of their political slant, so we cancelled. They hounded us forever to subscribe again, so for 97 cents a week, I finally gave in and subscribed again for the Sunday paper. Got to spend a little money to make money. Kind of like the stock market. :lol: Anyway, between all of that, I save 40 to 80 dollars/month; depending. And, if I didn't have a new full time job that I don't get paid for(babysitting my first grandchild), I might be saving more! Happy shopping! And, welcome to the forum! :smile:

Two more things: S and G have websites, and if you sign in to join, they have other savings offers that can be added directly to your shoppers card, and some products have coupons on the outside. It is always a surprise. That's all.

Last edited:

Bman

I didn't know about going to the Safeway & Giant web sites to add stuff to your card, I will have to check that out. Thanks littlelady!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I'm not a spammer, I live in the White Sands subdivision in Lusby.

No one ever, who lives in Calvert County, says, "the White Sands subdivision in Lusby". Ever. It's always just White Sands. And these gimmicks you say you are using cost more in time than the savings they promise. And anyone that loads these kind of apps on their phone, well, I bet there must be a hundred permissions given for everything to include tracking, contacts list, etc. etc. etc. Just don't do it. It is not worth the hassle and loss of privacy.

General Lee

Not to mention "Bman" never returned to his "cutting out sodas" thread. If you don't want to answer anyone's questions that are trying to help you, just say you'd rather not answer.