Routine arrest leads Minneapolis police to arsenal

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Inside, the officers found a hand grenade, handgun, assault rifles and magazines and a large quantity of ammunition, the complaint said. They also found cellphones, computers and electronics equipment, including drone parts.

Bomb squad personnel called to the scene noted that the large amount of ammunition and electronic devices could be used for bomb-making, the complaint said.

Abdullah N. Alrifahe, 27, of Minneapolis, was charged with a gross misdemeanor for carrying a pistol in public without a permit. In December, he was convicted of the same offense.

This_person

Inside, the officers found a hand grenade, handgun, assault rifles and magazines and a large quantity of ammunition, the complaint said. They also found cellphones, computers and electronics equipment, including drone parts.

Bomb squad personnel called to the scene noted that the large amount of ammunition and electronic devices could be used for bomb-making, the complaint said.

Abdullah N. Alrifahe, 27, of Minneapolis, was charged with a gross misdemeanor for carrying a pistol in public without a permit. In December, he was convicted of the same offense.

Is Mr. Alrifahe an American citizen? If so, we need to consider this a gross violation of the second amendment - being concerned with an American citizen's number of arms.

If he is not a citizen, we would need to understand his reason for wanting the arms while a guest in our country.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
- being concerned with an American citizen's number of arms.

The routine manner in which the media describes what I would consider less than the absolute minimum number of owned firearms, and adequate ammunition for same, is always hilarious.

This_person

The routine manner in which the media describes what I would consider less than the absolute minimum number of owned firearms, and adequate ammunition for same, is always hilarious.

That's what I'm saying - if this guy is an American citizen, he needs a gift card to Guns-R-Us. If he's not, he's got some 'splainin' to do.

Clem72

Is Mr. Alrifahe an American citizen? If so, we need to consider this a gross violation of the second amendment - being concerned with an American citizen's number of arms.

If he is not a citizen, we would need to understand his reason for wanting the arms while a guest in our country.

Just for my education. Are live grenades generally considered covered by the 2nd?

glhs837

Power with Control
Just for my education. Are live grenades generally considered covered by the 2nd?

Well, yes and no. The anti-gunners usually scream about how easy it is to just buy some, all you need is a simple stamp or permit. In reality, and I've loked pretty hard into this, it's virtually impossible unless you are someone like Blackwater or some other connected security firm who basically can get them because your contract requires you to have them. I have found no evidence of any real civilian actually getting to buy grenades.

This_person

I can't see why they wouldn't be. 2A doesn't say "muskets", it says "arms". And, as is often pointed out, it's talking about the militia. If the people are to be the first line of self-defense against enemies, foreign and domestic, shouldn't they be as well armed as the armies they might face? If we are to overthrow our government, as the Founders had just completed doing with well-regulated militias of the population, wouldn't it make sense that the people be as armed as our government's army? I mean, in Article One, Section Eight, the federal government is only authorized for raising and supporting armies for two years or less. There was never an intent for there to be a standing army (and probably shouldn't be one now). But, the federal government feels that they need one (Constitution be damned), so I feel the people need one, too.

Clem72

I can't see why they wouldn't be. 2A doesn't say "muskets", it says "arms". And, as is often pointed out, it's talking about the militia. If the people are to be the first line of self-defense against enemies, foreign and domestic, shouldn't they be as well armed as the armies they might face? If we are to overthrow our government, as the Founders had just completed doing with well-regulated militias of the population, wouldn't it make sense that the people be as armed as our government's army? I mean, in Article One, Section Eight, the federal government is only authorized for raising and supporting armies for two years or less. There was never an intent for there to be a standing army (and probably shouldn't be one now). But, the federal government feels that they need one (Constitution be damned), so I feel the people need one, too.

I understand the reasoning, just always assumed 2a only covered firearms. Not for instance flame throwers, grenades, c4, or nuclear bombs.

This_person

I understand the reasoning, just always assumed 2a only covered firearms. Not for instance flame throwers, grenades, c4, or nuclear bombs.

In my humble opinion, it should. I don't know whether the SCOTUS has ruled on this, but I cannot currently understand how they could see it any other way.

Hijinx

The article says a hand grenade, and for all we know it could be a dummy.
Stories like this tend to exaggerate. Certainly if I were collecting for nefarious purposes I would want more than one.

What is a gross misdemeanor? Is that half a felony?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Yes Flame Throwers, Grenade Launchers, Sub / Machine Guns ...

C-4 is just another explosive - sure higher energy than TNT or Dynamite

Nukes - probably not, I doubt anyone average citizen could afford one ... I'm unsure the AFT actually listed Nukes - I am sure Bio and Chemical Weapons are restricted somewhere

b23hqb

PREMO Member
So as long as I'm just driving down the road without littering, with all my guns, ammo, laptop, cell phone, my DJI drone in it's hardshell backpack with spare batteries and drone parts, and my tablets that control it, I should be OK, right? Just don't wave a pistol at people and resist police and it should be OK. I wonder what the po-po considers a "large quantity of ammunition" to be. A few boxes? Half a case? One could go through that amount in half a day at the range.

black dog

Free America
Well, yes and no. The anti-gunners usually scream about how easy it is to just buy some, all you need is a simple stamp or permit. In reality, and I've loked pretty hard into this, it's virtually impossible unless you are someone like Blackwater or some other connected security firm who basically can get them because your contract requires you to have them. I have found no evidence of any real civilian actually getting to buy grenades.

They are out their as transferables, you just arn't in the right crowd.
Mel Bernstein of Colorado has one of the largest transferable collections in the US. He has crates of hand grenades in his collection.
Another huge collector was Ken Lomont, ( now dead ) both of these men had / have collections well into the hundreds.
Ken's last wife has control of his vast collection.
Ken was well know to melt down machine guns and shoot / launch destructive devices just to laugh and have fun.
I met ken at the creek long ago, he was a great friend.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
They are out their as transferables, you just arn't in the right crowd.
Mel Bernstein of Colorado has one of the largest transferable collections in the US. He has crates of hand grenades in his collection.
Another huge collector was Ken Lomont, ( now dead ) both of these men had / have collections well into the hundreds.
Ken's last wife has control of his vast collection.
Ken was well know to melt down machine guns and shoot / launch destructive devices just to laugh and have fun.
I met ken at the creek long ago, he was a great friend.

But that sort of speaks to my point. Those are, in firearms circles anyway, well known guys with decades old reputations as collectors.

black dog

Free America
But that sort of speaks to my point. Those are, in firearms circles anyway, well known guys with decades old reputations as collectors.

I did my first transfer in 1979.
It's not much different than many other hobbies, you have certain circles and you have outsiders. Those that have been in the hobbie for a long time know where to go to buy what you desire. The hard part is nowdays, you need a big checkbook just to enter the game outside of a few bottom end MG's, and those are going to cost you 5 to 12 grand.
Myself I've never really been into destructive devices. It would be difficult just to see 200 bucks in a stamp go boom..

Last edited: