Trump doing away with daily press briefings

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't think he'll actually do it, but it's an interesting concept. They're pretty much bull#### anyway and the media in this country delegitimized themselves so that you can't believe a word they say anymore.

In this day and age, we don't need second and third hand information; we can go right to the original source. Not that people actually do that - they like their pablum spoonfed to them - but they can if they want. Want to know what Trump's tweeting? Get on Twitter. Want to know what he has to say? Read his FB or other releases.

I think the "journalists" will make crap up anyway because what else are they going to do for a living? But I do like the idea of written responses to reporters' questions - that way Spicer or whoever can think about it before they respond, we do away with time wasting gotcha crap, and the answers are right there in black and white for anyone with above a second grade education to read.

I also don't get a chance to watch the press briefings because I'm at work, and I don't care to stream it later and spend my time in that manner. This whole trend toward video and being held hostage for 20 minutes of blather is stupid and just shows how retarded we've become that we can't even read anymore and have to have it read to us.

Written Q&A - I like it. I can read it at my leisure and see exactly what is being said.

Thoughts?

Wishbone

See... Green Reporting.

Reporters won't have to drive to the WH... They can just stay at their desks and make #### up. :yay: :yay:

tommyjo

I don't think he'll actually do it, but it's an interesting concept. They're pretty much bull#### anyway and the media in this country delegitimized themselves so that you can't believe a word they say anymore.

In this day and age, we don't need second and third hand information; we can go right to the original source. Not that people actually do that - they like their pablum spoonfed to them - but they can if they want. Want to know what Trump's tweeting? Get on Twitter. Want to know what he has to say? Read his FB or other releases.

I think the "journalists" will make crap up anyway because what else are they going to do for a living? But I do like the idea of written responses to reporters' questions - that way Spicer or whoever can think about it before they respond, we do away with time wasting gotcha crap, and the answers are right there in black and white for anyone with above a second grade education to read.

I also don't get a chance to watch the press briefings because I'm at work, and I don't care to stream it later and spend my time in that manner. This whole trend toward video and being held hostage for 20 minutes of blather is stupid and just shows how retarded we've become that we can't even read anymore and have to have it read to us.

Written Q&A - I like it. I can read it at my leisure and see exactly what is being said.

Thoughts?

As usual, you are incorrect...just like you were wrong yesterday in your idiotic assertion that the press lied about Trump's classified information delivery to the Russians and McMasters briefing. Since you didn't bother to read the article and the original claim (YOU want YOUR information spoofed to you) you didn't understand that McMasters denial did not pertain to the facts as reported in the story.

You may not wish to be informed. You may not wish to understand. You may wish to bury your head in the sand. But intelligent people who want a govt to be held accountable see the need for the President to answer for and/or explain his actions.

Chris0nllyn

Is the general public prohibited from viewing these pressers and coming up with their own conclusions?

Your assertion is aimed at the media, completely ignoring the fact that the general public can watch these, hear the questions being asked, and the answers to them, and come up with their own conclusions.

Not that they've been effective in any sort of way as it seems it's practice for being a lawyer or some other profession where you can talk yourself out of a hole, or answer questions without answering the questions anyway.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
As usual .......

your gums flap in the wind, and you say nothing pertaining to the TOPIC At HAND

would IT or would it NOT be a good Idea to do away with the White House Press Briefings

Is the general public prohibited from viewing these pressers and coming up with their own conclusions?

IMHO - A written published statement rather the the dog and pony show we have now would be much better ..... no ambiguity about what was said

posted in digital black and white

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

IMHO - A written published statement rather the the dog and pony show we have now would be much better ..... no ambiguity about what was said

There's things you get from watching someone's body language and actual speech you simply don't get from reading a statement.

I don't think the White House doing away with all press briefings is a good idea. Good or bad, the media plays an important role. Restricting or bottle feeding it is pretty anti-American if you ask me.

My issues aren't really with the media, but the readers. For some reason, politics turn people in mindless morons.

Wishbone

But how will Reporters ever get to explain to the public what it really says in the secret invisible ink?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I already addressed that in my OP. Did you want to maybe read it before you respond? Or should I just post a video of me reading it to you?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There's things you get from watching someone's body language and actual speech you simply don't get from reading a statement.

Oh please :lmao: "Doesn't matter what he said....his body language!!!" :lol:

I don't think the White House doing away with all press briefings is a good idea. Good or bad, the media plays an important role. Restricting or bottle feeding it is pretty anti-American if you ask me.

Except for that it's not restricted or bottle fed at all. Writing is clear communication. It hasn't been suggested that Trump/Spicer/Sanders will just gen out a press release and take no questions; what's being bandied about is that the questions will be submitted in writing and answered that way as well.

If nothing else, it will prevent that feeding frenzy "pick me! pick me! :howdy:" crap that makes them look like a bunch of grade schoolers.

My issues aren't really with the media, but the readers. For some reason, politics turn people in mindless morons.

Yes, I know what you mean. :bubble:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Good or bad, the media plays an important role. Restricting or bottle feeding it is pretty anti-American if you ask me.

so where is it written the GOV has to say anything to the Press ..... publish the information on White House . Gov

the world can read it for themselves ... beyond that, the press can 'report' on what was published

- Press Briefings are bragging sessions

Chris0nllyn

so where is it written the GOV has to say anything to the Press ..... publish the information on White House . Gov

the world can read it for themselves ... beyond that, the press can 'report' on what was published

- Press Briefings are bragging sessions

I think the right (a party that used to believe that government secrecy was a bad thing) would lose their collective minds if the next Democrat president cut out press briefings.

Chris0nllyn

Oh please :lmao: "Doesn't matter what he said....his body language!!!" :lol:

As I'm sure you are aware, communication is much more than words on paper. Nonverbal communication (aka body language) is part of it.

Except for that it's not restricted or bottle fed at all. Writing is clear communication. It hasn't been suggested that Trump/Spicer/Sanders will just gen out a press release and take no questions; what's being bandied about is that the questions will be submitted in writing and answered that way as well.

And we're all supposed to believe they'll answer any and all questions? You think it's a good idea to not hold White House spokespeople to answering questions on the spot? That the White House (regardless of who the President is) should have time to formulate and disseminate those answers?

I give you this, you have some good faith in our government.

If nothing else, it will prevent that feeding frenzy "pick me! pick me! :howdy:" crap that makes them look like a bunch of grade schoolers.

The horror.

Yes, I know what you mean. :bubble:

Just as giving Obama a bunch of executive power when he was President is coming back to bite the left, I think giving the White House even more power is a bad thing, and it has nothing to do with Trump.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
As usual, you are incorrect...just like you were wrong yesterday in your idiotic assertion that the press lied about Trump's classified information delivery to the Russians and McMasters briefing. Since you didn't bother to read the article and the original claim (YOU want YOUR information spoofed to you) you didn't understand that McMasters denial did not pertain to the facts as reported in the story.

You may not wish to be informed. You may not wish to understand. You may wish to bury your head in the sand. But intelligent people who want a govt to be held accountable see the need for the President to answer for and/or explain his actions.

Did I miss something?? Did I miss concrete proof that what the WaPo reported was 100% factual??

Did I miss somebody getting arrested for releasing said report to WaPo.. the TRANSCRIPTS of a meeting??

Chris0nllyn

Did I miss somebody getting arrested for releasing said report to WaPo.. the TRANSCRIPTS of a meeting??

Not that it would mean much.

homas P. Bossert, assistant to the president for homeland security and counterterrorism, placed calls to the directors of the CIA and the NSA, the services most directly involved in the intelligence-sharing arrangement with the partner.

One of Bossert’s subordinates also called for the problematic portion of Trump’s discussion to be stricken from internal memos and for the full transcript to be limited to a small circle of recipients, efforts to prevent sensitive details from being disseminated further or leaked.

Here's the memo the White House put out on the meeting. No mention of the threat Trump admitted to talking about.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...trumps-meeting-foreign-minister-sergey-lavrov

It's too bad Russian photographers were the only ones allowed in the meeting (in the Oval, no less) and no US news allowed, so there's not much to go on.
A photographer for a Russian state-owned news agency was allowed into the Oval Office on Wednesday during President Trump’s meeting with Russian diplomats

The administration official also said the White House had been misled about the role of the Russian photographer. Russian officials had described the individual as Lavrov’s official photographer without disclosing that he also worked for Tass.

“We were not informed by the Russians that their official photographer was dual-hatted and would be releasing the photographs on the state news agency,” the administration official said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2beef8121f7_story.html?utm_term=.891e076429b7

This_person

I had heard him suggest that instead of the written back and forth, he would consider just doing a press conference every two weeks give or take. I actually prefer that MUCH more.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
so where is it written the GOV has to say anything to the Press .....

WE say. We the People have a right to know what's going on, not just whatever press release the government wants to feed us.

That's why it's so distressing that we can no longer trust our reporters and investigative journalists. They're supposed to do the work on our behalf. Otherwise what the hell good are they?

Rethink for a sec:

Pretend Obama is still president. How about now? Should he do away with press briefings and just release statements periodically?

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

Actually, I don't. I just have less faith in the media to keep me informed.

Which means more faith in the White house to give you news?

Just look at McMaster's statements. Everyone here jumping up and down as if his carefully worded statement from a prepared paper and not taking any questions (thus leaving no means to follow-up, clarify, or expand on what he said) means the WaPo article is 100% false.

The White House has lied to the press time and time again. Disregarding the obvious falsehoods from previous administrations, more recently, they lied about Comey's firing. Spicer, Pence, and Conway all said Rosenstein was the guy who fired Comey.

Yet days later in an interview with NBC, Trump said,
"When I decided to just do it I said to myself, I said, 'You know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story,'"

"I was going to fire regardless of recommendation, ...[Rosenstein] made a recommendation, but regardless of recommendation, I was going to fire Comey."
http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...h-lester-holt-at-the-white-house-941854787582

Or his inauguration crowd size, or Trump steaks still being around to name a few, it's pretty clear the White House is the one that should be looked at with questions as they've shown a propensity to lie about both trivial and important matters.

And you expect them, the bastion of truthfulness to the media (who I'm sure you'll argue deserve nothing from the White House), to feed you the information you seek? You don't even trust yourself to go looking (in the wealth of knowledge available on the internet) for the info you seek.

I want a more transparent federal government, but maybe I'm in the minority now that there's a Republican in the White House. I didn't like it when Obama lied about me keeping my doctor, and I don't like being lied to now.

This_person

I want a more transparent federal government, but maybe I'm in the minority now that there's a Republican in the White House. I didn't like it when Obama lied about me keeping my doctor, and I don't like being lied to now.

I don't like the lies or the constant dealing in private. We are pretty much all in 100% agreement on that.

Now, do I expect the president to give Russia some news on how to keep themselves safer - even if that news is somewhat classified? Yeah, I do, and I don't expect to have a microphone in the room when they do. I certainly don't think the president should offer methods or sources - especially if they're not ours. But, overall, from county commissioners to Congress to cameras in the supreme court (and lesser courts) to cabinet meetings and beyond - they should be available for information.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The White House has lied to the press time and time again. Disregarding the obvious falsehoods from previous administrations, more recently, they lied about Comey's firing. Spicer, Pence, and Conway all said Rosenstein was the guy who fired Comey.

Do you see what you did there? You used three biased progbot sources to "make your case". What part of "I don't trust the press anymore" wasn't clear to you?

I've been following the Comey firing, and I saw the speculation about who told Trump to fire Comey. Finally it was decided that Rosenstein was the guy. How is that different than Trump saying he was going to do it anyway, before he got the recommendation?

Chris? That's a real question. See the bolded part.

As to steaks and inauguration crowd, so? Maybe some staffer told Trump that the crowd size was bigger, and he just repeated it. Did you expect him to personally do a head count or something? Steak origin - my god, are you serious?? These are your concerns, where Trump's ####ing steaks came from???

This is what I'm talking about. We have real issues, and you're snarking about freaking steaks. We have real issues and the "press" is blathering on about scoops of freaking ice cream and meatloaf recommendations. Good grief. Those are the people you trust to keep you informed about important issues??? Are you serious???