Deuteronomy 2 Go right by the Amorites

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 2:16 Now when the last of these fighting men among the people had died, 17 the Lord said to me, 18 “Today you are to pass by the region of Moab at Ar. 19 When you come to the Ammonites, do not harass them or provoke them to war, for I will not give you possession of any land belonging to the Ammonites. I have given it as a possession to the descendants of Lot.”

20 (That too was considered a land of the Rephaites, who used to live there; but the Ammonites called them Zamzummites. 21 They were a people strong and numerous, and as tall as the Anakites. The Lord destroyed them from before the Ammonites, who drove them out and settled in their place. 22 The Lord had done the same for the descendants of Esau, who lived in Seir, when he destroyed the Horites from before them. They drove them out and have lived in their place to this day. 23 And as for the Avvites who lived in villages as far as Gaza, the Caphtorites coming out from Caphtor(b) destroyed them and settled in their place.)​

b. Deuteronomy 2:23 That is, Crete

More of Lot's family is in the path of the Israelites on their way to the Promised Land. These were other relatives of Lot as well.

I went back to the "freedom" site.

Ammon is the third country they passed through without fighting. Ammon was like Moab, a descendant of Lot. Abraham should not even have brought Lot into the land, but now that he had come, they have to deal with the repercussions. The Ammonites like the Moabites refused to give water and food to the Israelites.

The Lord wants to be known as faithful. In this case, we see He did not play favorites. He respected the rights of all and in this case it meant their land. The Lord gave the land to whom He wished. Some can challenge the Lord’s arbitrariness or that God is a God of wrath, but we instead see that God is very deliberate and purposed. He keeps His Word. We are not saying that the Moabites or Ammonites were good people (they were not) or that they had adopted Yahweh. Clearly they did not.

“Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the detestable idol of Moab, on the mountain which is east of Jerusalem, and for Molech the detestable idol of the sons of Ammon” (1 Kings 11:7).​

They would be enemies of God’s people for a long time along with their horrible religious practices.

This information is from GodVine.

The Avims which dwelt in Hazerim, even unto Azzah - Read (Gaza, of which Azzah is the Hebrew form. "Hazerim" is not strictly a proper name, but means "villages," or "enclosures," probably such as are still common in the East. The Avims are no doubt identical with the Avites of Joshua 13:3, and were doubtless a scattered remnant of a people conquered by the Caphtorim (Genesis 10:14 note) and living in their "enclosures" in the neighborhood of Gerar. The word, which means "ruins," seems itself expressive of their fallen state.

I went to a site titled bible.ca to find this information.

The Ammonites were descendants of Lot through his daughter: "Thus both the daughters of Lot were with child by their father. The firstborn bore a son, and called his name Moab; he is the father of the Moabites to this day. As for the younger, she also bore a son, and called his name Ben-ammi; he is the father of the sons of Ammon to this day." Genesis 19:36-38

Every family has that black sheep member whom everyone else in the family avoids. It's easier that way. So in verse 19 God told Moses to leave the Ammonites alone. Remember, Lot had moved his daughters to the mountains and they lived in a cave. The girls claimed that there were no men around and they had to multiply for the sake of the family. They got Lot drunk and slept with him. [I've always figured they were just bored harlots from Sodom. They hadn't learned how to live right after being raised in Sodom.] Each of them got pregnant and that was the beginning of the Moabites and the Ammonites.

That's why the Israelites were to stay away from the Ammonites.

:coffee:

Last edited: