Cole Slaw?

ginwoman

What is the best cole slaw mix (pre-made or packet)? Or, what is your favorite slaw dressing recipe?

Bonehead

Any mix is good but cutting up some cabbage, onions and carrots isn't difficult. Dressing is apple cider vinegar brown sugar and kosher salt heated up and poured over the slaw. Pickled cole slaw something different.

lovinmaryland

My grandma makes the best. I have no idea what she does but its amazing. I usually use the pre chopped coleslaw mix in the produce section but I add minced cilantro (it adds a nice bite) then I mix a little mayo, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, celery seed, and a pinch of salt.

MR47930

I think KFC is perfect coleslaw.

:yeahthat: there are copycat recipes out there that I've gotten close to KFC taste wise but i've made this same exact recipe multiple times and it taste different each time.
Jerrys Place has some delicious cole slaw as well. I'd like to know his recipe.

Bman

I like these packages of seasoning that you add to mayo and a bag of cole slaw mix from the produce section. You just mix it all up an hour or so before you want to eat. very easy and tasty too!
coleslaw%20front%20panel_lo-resized-600.png

I like these packages of seasoning that you add to mayo and a bag of cole slaw mix from the produce section. You just mix it all up an hour or so before you want to eat. very easy and tasty too!

You're single and young, aren't you?

Bman

that depends on your definition of young.
I am 47 and married and we both work full time and commute to and from work so time to prepare dinner is limited and we like this stuff.

that depends on your definition of young.
I am 47 and married and we both work full time and commute to and from work so time to prepare dinner is limited and we like this stuff.

Roger, that. My profiler isn't working.....

littlelady

God bless the USA
View attachment 118524

That is too funny. I use the Concord Farms Hollandaise, Broccoli Soup, and Salsa packets. Love them! I am sure being pre-packaged is not the healthiest route, but it is so easy!

ginwoman

View attachment 118524

I'd like to try that if I can find it. I got a bottle of Marzetti slaw dressing at Foodlion Leonardtown. Its ok but nothing to write home to mom about. I didn't see any of the packets of mix but maybe I missed them.

luvmygdaughters

I use mayo, dijon mustard, A/C vinegar, lemon juice, celery seed, sugar, honey, old bay. It comes out delicious and very creamy!!! Also, I buy the bagged, shredded coleslaw instead of shredding my own.

ginwoman

I use mayo, dijon mustard, A/C vinegar, lemon juice, celery seed, sugar, honey, old bay. It comes out delicious and very creamy!!! Also, I buy the bagged, shredded coleslaw instead of shredding my own.

that sounds good but what are the measurements to do a 14 oz bagged shredded slaw?

littlelady

God bless the USA
I'd like to try that if I can find it. I got a bottle of Marzetti slaw dressing at Foodlion Leonardtown. Its ok but nothing to write home to mom about. I didn't see any of the packets of mix but maybe I missed them.

I shop Giant. The packets are on a turning display in the produce dept. They are cheap, too, and cost a $1; sometimes on sale for 75 cents.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:yay: I don't use old bay, but a variation of the other ingredients to make the dressing. It's just so easy to make - AND I prefer fresh and homemade as opposed to pre-packaged full of processed preservatives. Use an old mayo jar OR use a half used jar of mayo - add all the ingredients to that and you can shake it up in the same jar. Otherwise, it's simple to put in a blender, food processor or Bullet, etc.

The store bought already made or the packaged seasonings has a weird taste to me compare to homemade.

littlelady

God bless the USA
:yay: I don't use old bay, but a variation of the other ingredients to make the dressing. It's just so easy to make - AND I prefer fresh and homemade as opposed to pre-packaged full of processed preservatives. Use an old mayo jar OR use a half used jar of mayo - add all the ingredients to that and you can shake it up in the same jar. Otherwise, it's simple to put in a blender, food processor or Bullet, etc.

The store bought already made or the packaged seasonings has a weird taste to me compare to homemade.

Yes, fresh is best, but the packets are good in a pinch. Happy coleslawing, y'all!