Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY traders. Jump in with some limit buys.

DIY traders. Jump in with some limit buys.

The DJIA is down over 400 pts since the 8th. Load up on some big caps and blue chips that follow the DOW curve, but offer to buy them @ 2% lower with limit buys. If they trigger, you can only gain. If they don't, you've lost nothing. Buy low, sell high. I've been waiting since Apr. 25th for this flat market to do something. Always remember, the DJIA always goes up. Short term stuff to be sure.

The Hitchicken

Progess report. So far, so 'okay'...

I set up 15 limit buys on Thursday afternoon. By closing, 6 of the 15 triggered. 9 didn't. The recovery started sooner than I expected. Got C, CSCO, GEO, HPQ, MSFT and V (@market by typo, darn it.) At this point, I set them all up for a limit sell at 5% higher (just so I don't have to check them over the weekend), GEO caught me when my back was turned and shot up past the 5% and triggered a sell I didn't expect before the weekend even began.

Bottom line: I'm up 0.49% for my entire portfolio which may not seem like much, but for <2 days trading and only 6 stocks invested, that's pretty decent. The stocks themselves gave me 1.74%. All the remaining 5 stocks are higher. More good news is the DJIA is still down 0.825% from its recent high of over 21000 a few days ago. I've tighten up my limit sells over Saturday. Recovery (anytime) means profit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I don't know crap about this stuff - but I do trust my broker. Since Trump was *elected* I've made money. If my portfolio continues to grow at the rate it's been growing since Nov, I will be sitting real purty come retirement time.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

The pollsters & the financial pundits got it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I don't know crap about this stuff - but I do trust my broker. Since Trump was *elected* I've made money. If my portfolio continues to grow at the rate it's been growing since Nov, I will be sitting real purty come retirement time.
    Totally agree.

But it would be difficult NOT to make money in equities since Trump got elected. The DOW is up over 15% already since then. See the plot below.

My thread was aimed at the small minority that buys/sells stocks with online brokerage firms. The majority prefer to use brokers, mutual funds, gold, bonds, CDs... That's fine. Some of use prefer to DIY.

But since you mentioned brokers, I have 2 questions. If brokers are so smart, why don't they use their own cash to own private islands, private aircraft & yachts? Why do they need YOUR money? Why do they insist on keeping your money invested in a downward spiraling market? I wouldn't. I don't.

So what effect does the 1% to 2% annual fee they charge on your holdings (whether they make or lose you money) have on your end results? Check out the little Excel spreadsheet I whipped together to see the results. The impact can be huge. You can do a lot better without a broker or mutual fund.

I am bit astounded that people spend so much time on a $30K car selection or a $300K house selection, but leave a $500K in retirement in 'someone else's hands'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOWtrump1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	118579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brker1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	118580  

Let's put this thread to bed... Please.

Not only because of the lack of interest, comments & views, but because I've just sold all the stocks I bought last Wednesday and this run is over. (A thanks to the sympathetic board mommy for her 1 response.) Yeah, I know when to quit.

The final summary: I made $767 from the 17th until the 24th. That was an increase of 1.23% in my total yearly profit from the 17th. Not great, but not bad considering 5 trading days, 30 minutes total effort and only a 2.41% dip in the DJIA during that time. Not my best episode, but still better than a 'buy and hold'. He made $0. I'm now out of the market and waiting for the next shoe to drop before jumping back in at the next dip (sounds terribly ghoulish, doesn't it?) Including a few plots and graphs summarizing the whole episode.

Being out of the market is dangerous because it might start shooting up and I won't make money. But I doubt it. DOW has been bumping around 21000 since the 25th of April and just now made it back (well, almost). Flat as Iowa. Trump, in the meantime, is taking his lumps with false news, incorrect polls, vocal chanting progs, Russian conspiratists, food stamp recipients and etc... so another emotional drop in DOW cannot be far away.

DIY, KISS stock investors. Be ready. Stay sharp. The next drop is soon! Be ready to buy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trumprise_flat.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	118618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	threadhist1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	118619   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	threadhist3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	118620  
    Last edited by hitchicken; 05-24-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hitchicken View Post
    But since you mentioned brokers, I have 2 questions. If brokers are so smart, why don't they use their own cash to own private islands, private aircraft & yachts? Why do they need YOUR money? Why do they insist on keeping your money invested in a downward spiraling market? I wouldn't. I don't.
    My broker shuffles me around all the time. Probably twice a month or so I get a notification that they've reallocated at least some of my funds and here's what they did. I check it every week and I'm usually ahead of the Dow/NASDAQ curve.

I'm good at making money, and I'm good at budgeting, but dumb dumb dumb when it comes to the market. I admire people who can DIY, I'm just not one of them.

I am interested, so don't stop posting on this topic. Just be aware that I don't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Man, I'm still here !!!
    is your broker making money (commissions) everytime he sells/buys ?????????????????????

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page start here

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php a good information page...

If so you are lossing money.

Go to fidelity, vanguard and do your own buying and selling...

Stocks:
    SCSS
    TGB

Look em up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MADPEBS1 View Post
    is your broker making money (commissions) everytime he sells/buys ?????????????????????
    No, they take a percentage. If I make more money, they make more money.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by MADPEBS1 View Post

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page start here

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php a good information page...

If so you are lossing money.

Go to fidelity, vanguard and do your own buying and selling...
    You are still paying for those transactions.

Members who have read this thread: 11